1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what is going on. I took a few of my guns to the range today: Wilson Protector, Dan Wesson Razorback, Kahr PM9, SA XD40. Except for my Wilson I did not shoot very well. The Kahr I don't expect to shoot great with. The XD40 was acceptable I guess. The Razorback I did not do very well. The only gun that I shot good with was the Wilson.
Seriously I am not just trying to make the Wilson out to be a SUPER gun. It seems the last few times I have been to the range no matter what guns I take this seems to be the case. I do usually shoot pretty good with my Kimber CDP though. Anyway to get to the point, why do you think I do so much better with this gun. I mean at 7 to 10 yards it is pretty much one big hole. Maybe 1" groups. At the same range with almost all of my other guns it is maybe 2 to 4" groups. I am starting to get a little frustrated. I shoot about 500 rounds or so atleast I would say every other week. Every week if I have time. I bought a Kimber Rimfire to help me practice more. I do have a tendancy to shoot low and left. I push the gun before I pull the trigger. I have been really trying to make an effort to correct it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would be low left and left horizontal.

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
First work on consistancy. I read on your other thread that the RZ is grouping large. Need to determine if it's you or the gun. Have someone else shoot it also. I shoot the best with my Wilson Classic. They're just plain good guns.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Are you in a weaver stance or isolese? Work in weaver first to get consistant, so your body is squared with the target. Also try to vice your handguns and see if it is a front site issue. Might need to have them all zeroed.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Do you have a .22 conversion kit or complete .22 LR handgun? If not, it's a good idea. You will immediately be able to tell if you have developed a flinch for shooting handguns with heavier recoil/ muzzle blast (ala 10MM). I did it to myself once though prolonged shooting of full powered .357 Magnum loads . It's easy to forget that it is a natural reaction to react defensively to combustibles going off in your face. As some of the guys already mentioned, train with a group of people to see if it's your handgun or yourself.

By the way, contollability is what I love about .45 ACP. Low pressure, moderate recoil, very tolerable muzzle blast, and some great platforms to launch it from. Might these be some of the reasons you do so well with the Wilson?

:D

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Dear Ford,

What's probably happening is that you are not paying attention to the fundamentals. In all sports people tend to slip a little from the basics and need a refresher from time to time. I notice that when I have not shot a rifle for awhile my first shot or two goes astray. Then I realize that I'm not holding the rifle as firmly in my shoulder pocket as I should be. Tighten up a little bit and the bullets go where they are supposed to. :)

Amateurs like us are not the only people who fall into bad habits. I read a book by Jack Nicklaus which was published in the seventies and he said that every spring he'd go to the coach who had trained him as a teenager. At these sessions Jack would "relearn" the basics of form, stance, follow through, etc... the way a beginner would. We all should do the same periodically whether with an instructor or by ourselves. Good shooting! Gary

·
Registered
300 Posts
Ford-

A couple of range sessions ago I had a bad day too... After I finished a couple of boxes of .45 I thought I might dry fire a bit. WHOA! I was flinching like CRAZY! I thought maybe it was just an auditory response, expecting a loud noise. I've started dry firing for a few minutes before and after each range session, and it seems to be helping. My "low and lefts" are moving up and right... Hope this helps

-B

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went back to the range this morning. I put 500 rounds of some Remington .22 ammo through my new Kimber Rimfire that I bought yesterday. After that I put 100 rounds of some PMC ammo through my Razorback 10mm. My first 25 rounds at 7 yards were a drastic improvement from yesterday. I did start to slip back into my bad habbit of pushing the gun. My last 20 rounds were pretty decent again at about 20 yards. I think that the .22 is going to help me alot. The Kimber Rimfire was money well spent. It has already proved to be a good training aid.

Thanks guys for all your help. More suggestions are welcom.

·
Banned
976 Posts
only bring one gun to the range with you. one type of trigger at a time . if i switch from gun to gun my shooting tends to degrade.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The best cure I can offer for anticipation is dummy rounds. Get a couple of snap caps and mix them into your magazines. Once you get the feel for what you're doing wrong, it's a lot easier to correct it.

It's a good chance to work on your malfunction drills too.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts