1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Davidson's true to thier warranty replaced my malfunctioning Champion with a new one. This one as well is problematic and I am starting to get concerned that this model just sucks. My first one had MANY FTE and would have troubles going into battery.

This one ejects fine I guess but is a single shot so I can swear.After evry shot the gun fails to go into battery and no amount of pushing on the back mkes a difference. Its stuck! That s until you give it a gentle tap on the front of the barrel. So its getting stuck right there at the front. I had read a thread here that addressed that but I cant find it now. The respondent had suggested to the person having the problem to rap the barrel lightly with a piece of wood and it helps with the diagnosis but I cant remember what it was.

Anyone have a clue or do I have to send this one back too :(
Alex

·
Registered
343 Posts
you may not want to hear this...

....but you should replace it with true commander design. (with barrel bushing)
I liked my Champion a great deal until I ran it in a combat pistol class. I had similar failures, and of course nobody could help me because the design is unique. I bought a commander and have had total reliability since.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I had the same thing happen on my champion. I have been shooting 1911's for 30 years. Went back to my Colt 1991A1. No FLGR,bull barrel. Just like LMB himself designed. Works great.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
steveracer said:
....but you should replace it with true commander design. (with barrel bushing)
What type of recoil spring design is Springfield using these days? My 1995 era Champ had the Colt Officers style bushing set up. I swapped it out for a conventional bushing cut down to Champion length.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Check the extractor. The new SA I just got was a real messy one in there. Plus some real nasty burrs on the Cocking lug. Not sure its applicable to that model but it was fixed in just a few minutes with a file and some careful attention. This one was also not going all the way back into battery at times. Extractor had a crazy bend on it too. Not to mention the nasty numbering on the Cocking lug dragging on the hammer.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I do not have too much advice, just wanna brag. Bought my Champion from a guy who was having last round eject problems. I gave him a list of things to look at, and he ran a series of tests with different mags, ammo, with matrix charts and all that and still had the problem. He sold the gun to me for cheap, and I just took it out and shot it and never had one jam. Dang thing is sloppy fit, and somehow is one of the most accurate service pistols I have ever shot.

Anyway, it seems like Springfield has some issues with execution at times. I assume this is a bull barrel/bushingless setup? supposedly that design is supposed to be less prone to binding. Does it still stick with hand cycling? I would slowly and firmly hand cycle it and try to feel for where the binding is. Also, are you lubing it proper?

In my experience, a problem with the slide binding like that is often a combo of several things, a dirty chamber (on the feed), weak recoil spring (that allows the case to extract early and bulge on the extract), and cruddy ammo. On one of my pistols, loading the SWC out a bit so the shoulder was exposed hit the chamber shoulder and lodged the round. I had to seat my bullets the slightest amount deeper and it was fine.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The barrel was getting stuck on a slight angle toughing at the top back and at the lower portion of the front of the slide. If I tapped the front of the barrel it would pop back into place but no amount of pressure on the back would move it forward. Davidsons gave me a credit and I picked up a S&W commander pd gunsite..... Now this bad boy eats whatever you stick in it from shot one to shot 200 not a single problem with various mags and ammo.

I read alot of negative things about the commander and some positive. I guess the batch that got shipped to davidsons were made by tribesman using rocks and sticks!
Alex

1 - 7 of 7 Posts