1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shooting my new Ed Brown full size and need advice suggestions about accuracy and such. I have been shooting at approx 20 yards standing. My groups are about 6" and I am always high and left of bullseye. (with exception of obvious operator error) Like I said this is standing with no support.

Is this a decent group? Is always high and left an indication of a technique issue?

I am very left eye dominate and right handed. I seem to shoot best with both eyes open.

I am looking for suggestions. thanks!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I can relate since I am also right handed and left eye dominant. In my opinion your grouping is good. If you have not already done so,you might shoot your handgun over a rest to eliminate as much as possible the human error. If it hits dead on,then you must work on your marksmanship. You may find that this is not the case and the handgun is shooting a bit off. With fixed sights such as yours you can fudge a bit with the elevation and the windage can be adjusted by drifting the rear sight in the direction you want the shots to move. take care.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
You can do a search for a chart which shows the problem and
a possible cause. If I recall correctly high and left is 'pushing' in anticipation of recoil for a right handed shooter. Sorry but I don't have the link.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Too much finger through the trigger guard will produce left of center hits for a right-hander as well. Anticipating can produce the high shots as mentioned and jerking the low shots.. IMHO... This is a great little video.. Cheers.. Ron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKgAkwB8WRo

This is the chart mentioned.. I believe.. For us (DA) revolver shooters I think too much trigger finger also produces the left hits when shooting a SA auto..

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Two ways to look at this, shooting groups is one thing but when I started shooting I did it for score.

Put the target, like a B-27 out at 25 yards and put 30 rounds on it. A 300 is a perfect score. Hopefully you will put 30 hits on the target. Whatever you score is, put it in a notebook or on a calendar.

Then practice for awhile and when you think you ready go for a new personal best. But have the 30 rounds at 25 yards as your record. If you can not put most of your rounds on target, practice at 7 and 15 yards.

I do a lot of practice at 3 to 20 yards but every now and then you want to test yourself at 25 yards. (Later we can talk about nailing steel plates at 50 yards)

Have fun !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have been shooting my new Ed Brown full size and need advice suggestions about accuracy and such. I have been shooting at approx 20 yards standing. My groups are about 6" and I am always high and left of bullseye. (with exception of obvious operator error) Like I said this is standing with no support.

Is this a decent group? Is always high and left an indication of a technique issue?

I am very left eye dominate and right handed. I seem to shoot best with both eyes open.

I am looking for suggestions. thanks!!
Start shooting from the 7yd line when all of your rounds are going into nice tight little groups start moving back to 10 yds then 15 then 20 ect.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Another thing to think about and do. just get a plain sheet of printer paper and put a 2 inch square (or circle) in the center of the paper, you can use black marker, crayons, paint, etc.... just make it a 2 inch size. No bigger.
The reason behind the 2 inch square is that you are concentrating on a much SMALLER size object than that with a normal target which has a BIG HUGE circle and a bullsey, but in reality all that your eyes see.... is a Huge circle. (make sense).

Then Start at 7 yards. When you get proficient at that, then and only then should you move back farther.

Grip control is also very important. If you are right handed, then only 40% grip squeeze with your right hand, and 60% with your left hand. Arms out straight in front of you, Your elbow's will feel like you are trying to touch them together (which you can not do, just feels that way.) and bring your arms up so that the pistol is at EYE level. Do NOT lower you head or tilt your neck and head down to see the pistol, RAISE your arms up to your eye level.

Watch this video, and hopefully you'll understand a little better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48

There are a lot more things to concentrate on also, like stance, breathing, etc... but work on the above mentioned first, and see how well you do after that.

Hope this helps.

Stay Safe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts