1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a B P slide stop for my springfield trp,tried to install it with the slide off and found it went in easily except it would not fit flush against the frame.It has a ring around the base of the pin that is raised up,is that holding it back from fitting flush against the frame? The factory one does not have the raised part around the pin base. Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
You will probably have to lap that area. I recently had a similar issue with a thumb safety. Because of the lug, I really couldn't use a power tool, so I did it by hand with some some wet 1000 grit paper and finishing with emery cloth...it took me awhile.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Vin63, the raised ring is actually on the flat part of the lever at the base of the pin and not on the pin itself. No fun to get to.Is that how yours was?

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
This is the one drawback of a machined (vs. cast) part. Sometimes the tool just leaves some stuff that shouldn't be there. And I will take that chance any day of the week. LOL.

If you have some fine files, you may be able to remove the ring. Probably just easier to ask Wilson for a replacement.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Thanks Vin63, the raised ring is actually on the flat part of the lever at the base of the pin and not on the pin itself. No fun to get to.Is that how yours was?
Actually that might be easier to resolve if you can get your jewelers file to knock down most of it and go with fine sand paper to finish it. In my case with the thumb safety, it was at the radius transition of the pin.

·
Premium Member
11,666 Posts
There should be a slight radius at the junction of the pin and the lever. No square corners and no raised ring (machining artifact). In this case it would be far simpler to get a replacement from Wilson. I'm sure that they would not want a bad part floating around out there.

·
Registered
187 Posts
It's probably supposed to be that way, a small amount of clearance would help protect the finish on your frame if you shoot a lot. Can you post pictures?

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
It's probably supposed to be that way, a small amount of clearance would help protect the finish on your frame if you shoot a lot. Can you post pictures?
I've got Wilson BP slide stops in all my 1911s. Every one of them has no "steps", and have a consistent I.D. through the length of the pin.

I can't see the idea of a small clearance intentionally being there. Gunk and crud would get behind the stop, and potentially cause function issues.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Contact Wilson,they will take care of it.Listen to BBBBill,he's right.If you want to keep that one just whittle the extra away keeping a radius against the pin and stop when the lever is just shy of sitting on the frame.You want a very slight gap so it is against the frame but doesn't rub it.Very slight gap.

·
Registered
187 Posts
there is no reason for the slide stop to be flush with the frame there is a groove in it the slide rides in. Remember the OP said with the slide off. Without pictures it's a guessing game!

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
there is no reason for the slide stop to be flush with the frame
Yes, there is. As I said, you don't want crud building up behind it, and possibly getting lodged in the stop cutout on the slide.

A properly spec'd slide stop rides right up against the frame.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Good pic. A nice surface of a few thou like that is no issue at all. Hope that's what the OP's stop looks like, and not some big "shoulder" like I'm imagining.

And we ALL need more Wilson's...:p

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Good pic. A nice surface of a few thou like that is no issue at all. Hope that's what the OP's stop looks like, and not some big "shoulder" like I'm imagining.

And we ALL need more Wilson's...:p
I like pics...

If I try and use my minds eye to imagine things, the picture always turns into Scarlett Johansson...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BBossman,the ring around the pin is higher. Just wondering did you put that detent notch in yours or did it come that way? Mine don't have it.
Thanks guys for the replys.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Op, is this what yours looks like?

From this thread...

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=417494

And holy hell, I need to buy a Wilson.
That slightly raised boss around the slide stop pin keeps the back of the
slide stop from rubbing on the frame and possibly scratching it. I think it's a nice design. We are looking at a few thousandth's raised area on the one depicted. Call Wilson, see if it is by design.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was thinking I read on the Wilson description it came with a detent notch on it already.I have done Logs mod on some others,great idea by the way..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts