1911Forum banner

Help x/ RIA Commander!

2693 16
If you read my first thread you know that I am new to 1911's. So my question is: How do I field strip this thing? Don't hurt me just yet! I have read some guides but can not get this thing apart. I pull the slide back and slide it foward while trying to "press the recoil spring plug inwards until the barrel bushing is free to be twisted clockwise" but nothing happens. The plug does not move. This is a used weapon so could I have a full length guide rod? If so how do I remove it. Thanks in advance for your help. Here are some pics if that helps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
The ria commander doesn't have a barrel bushing. Take the slide off the frame. push forward on the rod and look at the end of the guide rod. It should have a small hole in it. Take a paper clip and straighten it out, then put a small L shaped bend in it. The bottom leg of the L shouldn't be longer than the thickness of the guide rod. Stick the Leg of the L into the hole on the guide rod, with the longer part of the paper clip parralel to the guide rod running towards the end of the guide rod. Now you can remove the guide rod, spring and reverse plug as one piece from the slide.

· Registered
954 Posts
I find it easier to lock the slide back on an empty mag, insert the bent paper clip into the hole in the guide rod, remove the mag, position the slide so the take down notch lets the slide lock lever come out and then remove the slide, barrel, and guide rod assembly.

Its only hard the first time.

--wally.

· Registered
225 Posts
Might want to try this, I have one of these and a Kimber Pro Carry. Remove the mag, pull the slide back to the notch to take the slide stop out. Once removed pull the slide back until you see the hole in the guiderod. Insert the paper clip, then release the slide. The slide will pull off the frame. The guide rod will be sticking out the front of the slide when removed. Take the guide rod, plug, and spring assembly (captured) and slide it out over the barrel link. You can then remove the barrel. To take the guide rod apart, press the plug down (CAREFULLY!!) and remove the paper clip to "uncapture" the rod and spring. Reverse this to put back together.

FYI, Pistol Dynamics out of Florida is making what is called the ARP or Active Reverse Plug. It closes off the end of the barrel ala hi-power and uses a special short guide rod, similiar to the govt model. The plug uses a ball bearing to put pressure on the bull barrel. Check the pic and link. This will help in the cleaning and breaking down of bull barrel/bushingless 1911s.

http://www.pistoldynamics.com/ARP.html

tac

· Registered
2 Posts
I was stumped on the same problem for a while.

My manual is for full-size 1911's I think.

Your commander is exactly like mine,
I stuck on some Hogue grips and decided to leave it alone, I love mine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.