1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My slide is stuck!

New to me (but well used) SA government model, I chambered a round for function check with some wolf ammo, and now the slide is stuck!

It will slip back (out of battery) about 1/4 inch (enough for the barrel to wiggle) but then it is jamming solid. Feels like a solid metal piece is stopping further motion (no way its going to force w/o something breaking)

This is not my first 1911 so I know how it is supposed to feel, I took out the main spring and tried jiggling the barrel around (eek with a round in the chamber) but no dice, the slide doesn't move back far enought to remove the pin...so what the hell can I do?

I am afraid to simply just pull the trigger as it feels like it may do serious damage to have it forced back...

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Hey blob. 1st did you feed the round from the magazine or directly into the chamber? Also, did you try dropping the mag 1st. Last I would't try firing it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fed from mag...first thing I did was drop the mag...almost feels like it is put together wrong inside....like the barrel isn't dropping free like it should...

....grrrr

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Try turning it upside down and break it down to check the barrel link...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
First, REMOVE THE FIRING PIN!!!!

Then, CAREFULLY remove the bushing and spring.

Check the slide stop pin by moving the slide stop up and down, and see if the other side moves also. If not, you probably have a broken slide stop pin. Removing the piece from the right side, then the left should work, then you can replace it.

Next, if the slide stop is good, check to see if someone has used the bottom half of a full-length guide rod without the front. These will tip to the side and prevent unlocking in some cases.

If all that is good, then try the following:

Clamp the frame in a padded vise, and get yourself a 2x4, and some heavy gloves.

POINT THE MUZZLE OF THE PISTOL IN A DIRECTION THAT WILL STOP A BULLET.

Carefully, take the 2x4. After putting on your gloves, stand to the side opposite the ejection port, and place a corner of the 2x4 on the front of the slide, above the barrel. Grasp the 2x4 by the top edge, so if by some reason the gun discharges (very, very slim chance, but be safe) the bullet will pass under the 2x4.

Tap the end of the 2x4 with a mallet. You should be able to drive the slide open. After extracting the round, check for shiny marks around the case to see if it was sticking. Next, detail clean the barrel and inspect for lead or residue buildup around the chamber, throat and leade of the barrel.

Hope this helps,

Eagle

[This message has been edited by Powderman (edited 09-11-2001).]

·
Registered
364 Posts
Sounds like you're in a bit of a pickle. What may well be happening is that (if it is a series 80) the firing pin plunger lever is catching on the slide. Probably due to a below surface plunger movement condition. Remove the slide catch, and take the barrel and slide off the frame. Manually push the barrel down out of lock-up and forward. You should be able to remove the round safely by hand once it is exposed. If you're able to get that far, turn the slide upsidedown, and using a probe, see how far the firing pin plunger can be depressed below the surface. If it goes below the surface, see a smith.
If it's not the series 80 firing pin plunger, it would probably be that the disconnector is jammed. You would need to remove the mainspring, grip safety, and sear spring. Check to make sure that the disconnector is all the way down, then remove the slide catch, etc. (same as above)

1st rule of safety is to dry function test with dummy rounds, or no round at all.

Please let us know how you made out, and I hope you get that round out safely!!

------------------
Really interesting....Don't ya think??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After complete inspection, rotation, & much careful poking and prodding with a dental pick, I couldn't find anything jamming or sticking where it shouldn't and decided forcing it was the only thing that was going to work.

I got it open using a variation of powdermans's method, wood block against the slide.

Verdit is the cartridge!! Heavy extraxtor marks and a shiny ring around the casing! The wolf ammunition is oversized!? ***??

I made certain the chamber was clean and went out to the back yard with a boxful to see if they all were oversized. (I never used the Wolf stuff before, but had heard it was ok for plinking) so I bought 500 rounds, out the first box, roughly 1/3 don't smoothy feed in and out of the chamber.

I wasn't actually shooting (it was late, didn't want to wake the neighbors) but I have NEVER had trouble just cycling rounds through a 1911 before. I'm going to run to the store today and buy some US made brass case ammo to make sure it isn't the gun.

I'll post a pic of the extracted round if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Lesson learned.Wolf and other great deal off the wall ammo sucks,and you can't pay me to use it in anything resembling a decent gun.It's not so much it's all junk,but batch to batch quality sucks the big one.In general,you get what you pay for.If you want a cheap price,look for a deal on name brand ammo bought in bulk to reduce the price.While the good ammo gets out of spec also,these off brand and commercial reloads cause more probs (and KBs) than the rest.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I am just curious. Can anyone tell me how you can possibly remove the firing pin on an assembled 1911? To my knowledge, the only way to accomplish this task is by removing the firing pin stop which is impossible to do with the frame still on the slide.

------------------

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
oldcolt
Kindof.If you can pull the slide back enough,as blob stated he could 1/4" or so,you can do it.There are 2 probs though.First you need someone dumb enough to hold the slide back while you do this,and I believe you need to pull the hammer first-there might be enough to drop the stop down but I'm not sure,I don't have a piece handy.Oh,I never did find my Locktite listing,sorry.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Rex,
I just retracted the slide 1/4" on 2 of my 1911's. There is no way the firing pin stop can be removed at this point. The slide has to cycle over an inch before one can access the firing pin stop for removal. As you said, it would be tough finding someone foolish enough to hold the slide while removing the firing pin with a round in the chamber.

------------------

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Yep,sure can't (this is where I insert foot in mouth).I didn't actually try it,but it might be possible if you pull the hammer out,but it looks close.

·
2,895 Posts
I can't believe that somebody suggested/attempted taking the barrel bushing and recoil spring off of a loaded gun?? WHY??

I know you have already cleared it blob. I assume that you don't have a FLGR in your gun. The simplest and safest manner to clear it would have been to find a secure table, door jam, or even brace that 2x4 in a corner and hit the slide (under the barrel) on the object to break it loose. Just like a one handed slide rack that we all here so much about (probably the only time it would be used by the way.) Obviously, you would want to do this with the gun pointed downrange or into a suitable stop. You should be able to hit the slide hard enough backward overcome the stuck round (which was stuck by the forward movement of a 16-18 lb spring).

It wasn't clear, but I assume the gun would go into battery. If the first method didn't work:

1 Engage the thumb safety.
2. Put the gun in a vise pointed in safe direction (in case step 3 or 6 causes it to fire)
3. Drive out mainspring housing retainer pin and remove mainspring taking tension off of the hammer.
4. Remove thumb safety and hammer
5. If you can remove the firing stop and pin at this point then do it. It takes about .06 or less rearward movement to be able to do this. BUT, you should be very careful not to push the firing pin forward forcefully as it can ignite the round. Chances are, if it is locked up at or near battery, you won't be able to get the pin far enough forward to clear the stop.
6. Now you can apply a bit more force to get it unstuck safely.

I know everybody wants to be helpful but I would caution everyone against giving advice if:

1. You don't really know what you are doing
2. You use unsafe methods
3. You didn't read or comprehend the problem

Some examples:

You NEVER take the recoil spring and plug out of a loaded gun. I can't think of any situation where I want my hands IN FRONT of a chambered round. Nor do you want SOMEONE ELSE holding a pistol while you fiddle with it with a chambered round - always use a vise if you can't do it with your own hands. Also, if a round is chambered, you should ALWAYS have the recoil spring in IN CASE it goes off so something keeps the gun from launching broken parts in your face. Worse case is that something breaks when it goes forward but at least your face isn't involved.

You can't take the top end off of a gun if you can't retract the slide enough to get the slide stop out. He clearly said it would go back far enough to "wiggle" and then stuck which indicates a lodged cartridge.

SA doesn't have series 80 safety.

As always, IF IN DOUBT, TAKE IT TO A GUNSMITH.

Be careful guys!!

[This message has been edited by James P (edited 09-14-2001).]

·
Registered
474 Posts
James P,
Thank You for providing a safer method. As you mentioned, one should never remove the barrel bushing or recoil spring on a loaded gun. This violates rule #2 of basic safety (never point the gun at anything you do not intend to shoot). This is the method my operator manual provided

1. Point gun in a safe direction.
2. Remove magazine.
3. Pull back on slide and allow cartridge to fall from gun.
4. If cartridge does not fall free, pull slide back and lock it back.
5. Carefully dislodge cartridge.
6. If cartridge cannot be removed, carefully store your gun (with safety on) and take it to a gunsmith.

The key is to know your limitations, and know when to turn to an expert for assistance.

------------------

1 - 14 of 14 Posts