1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the Forum. Need help with feeding problem. 1944 Ithaca. This pistol nosedives rounds into feeding ramp. This only occurrs when magazine has five or more rounds in mag. If mag. is loaded with four or less rounds there is not any feeding problems. Changed mags. Still a problem with 7-8 mags I tried. Changed mag release thinking it was out of specs and letting mag drop in mag well. Still problem. I'm out of solutions. Anybody out there ever had same problem and if so what is the fix. Thanks. I love this forum.

·
Administrator
74,641 Posts
Sounds more like your ammo. If not it would HAVE to be the mags. The most common reason for this would be over-reloaded cases that have stretched case rims, causing the rims of each round in the mag to snag on each other. Clean the mags and the gun real well, make sure you're using brand-new, fresh FMJ ammo, and give us a report back.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI 1911 pistols website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DSK & Ty- You were right on. I was using reloaded ammo. The reloaded ammo was working fine in my other pistols but I guess the Ithaca had a little less tolerance.I also replaced the magazine with a quality current manufactured one. The old military mag. had a weak spring. Believe it was a combination of the two. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I've had luck in the past in resurrecting military mags through the installation of a Wolff extra power replacement mag spring. It's a cheap (and effective) alternative to buying a new mag.

·
Administrator
74,641 Posts
My Ithaca is the same way. It is most likely due to the roughly-machined feed ramps on these and other GI pistols.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 08-24-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts