1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had a .308 insert in it. I tried every way to get it out and finally milled the top of the chamber off... It makes a good training aid.... The chamber was bad, so even if I could get the insert out, it would still be bad.. Sad, cause it was a real nice 1945 SA barrel...

·
Banned
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here is a close up of the chamber and there is a groove which is clearly visable at the rear of of where the insert was positioned . This rifle would not be safe to shoot .30-06 with the insert removed.

G

·
So, let me be sure I understand you.

This rifle essentially was re-chambered for .308 and this cartridge that is obviously stuck in there is a 30-06?

Is that it?

·
Banned
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mowerman said:
So, let me be sure I understand you.
This rifle essentially was re-chambered for .308 and this cartridge that is obviously stuck in there is a 30-06?

Nope, the barrel is a standard GI .30-06. Someone "converted" it be inserting a sleave to change it to .308. The Navy tried that in the 1950's and gave up because they had trouble keeping the insert in the barrel. They had Springfield make a bunch of Garand barrels chambered for 7.62X51 NATO to fix the problem, which is what they should have done in the first place!!!

In photo #2, you can see the insert stuck to the .308 round.. There is a company in Boise, ID that still sells the inserts but I don't recommend them....

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Mr. Holbrook,
Thanks for posting the photos and taking the time to mill the barrel down. Inserts are just a bad idea. The more I see, hear and read on them, the worse it gets.

Stacey

1 - 6 of 6 Posts