1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still have a USAF Commemorative Edition M1911A1 coming Aug 2002.......

A

·
0 Posts
Sweeeeeeeeeet!

------------------
Guns don't kill people,
People kill people!

·
Registered
783 Posts
The Beretta 92FS - is the "S" for stainless, or does it indicate a lower capacity pistol. I'm assuming it's a 9mm, right?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Python,

If i remember correctly the "s" in 92FS means that it is a comercial model of the M9 service pistol which differs from the original model 92F in having a mechanism that prevents you from eating the slide if you repetedly cycle 9mm Sub-machinegun ammo through the gun, and cause a failure.

I'm not sure of the workings of the system but, the slide of the "FS" has a groove cut into the rear on one side where it mates to the frame rails, there is a corresponding mechanism that is SUPPOSED to retain the slide in place should there be a failure.

of course i could be wrong, it's been 5 years since i was given the above explanation. but i did get the same story from two separate sources.

·
Administrator
72,152 Posts
The 92FS is the version with the slide capture feature. An oversized head on the hammer pin mates with a groove in the slide, so in the event the slide breaks in half you won't get the chunk in your face. Of course, as long as you take care of the gun and use SAAMI-spec ammo it won't happen. The military got sloppy with its ammunition distribution, and hi-pressure sub-gun ammo got used in M9s by mistake. No pistol design will withstand repeated use of over-pressure ammo, not even a 1911! The Glock will last a little longer than most, but even it may rupture eventualy.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://usgi1911.tripod.com

·
Registered
260 Posts
OK the **** has hit the fan and you can only grab one to escourt your familly to safety, which one gets strapped on?

------------------
George Orwell: "That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

·
Registered
783 Posts
Originally posted by Detritus:
Python,

If i remember correctly the "s" in 92FS means that it is a comercial model of the M9 service pistol which differs from the original model 92F in having a mechanism that prevents you from eating the slide if you repetedly cycle 9mm Sub-machinegun ammo through the gun, and cause a failure.

I'm not sure of the workings of the system but, the slide of the "FS" has a groove cut into the rear on one side where it mates to the frame rails, there is a corresponding mechanism that is SUPPOSED to retain the slide in place should there be a failure.

of course i could be wrong, it's been 5 years since i was given the above explanation. but i did get the same story from two separate sources.
Wasn't the "commercial version" also a 10+1 version of the 15+1 92F? Or was capacity not part of the reason for the "S"?

·
Registered
293 Posts
as DSK says the "S" simply designates that it has the "slide capture" feature. first 92FS i looked at seriously was a 15+1 model that a local gunstore had, made back before the magazine capacity limits.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, Shane. I grab the whole lot in the case and go!
Really, if I could take only one, then it would be the Protector. It is currently the only one with night sights, got 6 Wilson 8 rd mags for it, great gun, reliable and very accurate. Loaded up with Federal 230 gr Hydra-Shok HP now. All my pistols actually have Hydra-Shoks in the mags.

·
Registered
27,705 Posts
Originally posted by shane45:
OK the **** has hit the fan and you can only grab one to escourt your familly to safety, which one gets strapped on?
I would think we would all be better off with a long gun of some sort. Good pumpgun or AR, AK. Something with some capacity and more power than a puny pistol caliber.

------------------
"Even the most normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats"
Mencken

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No problem BillD, I grab my two Bushmaster AR-15 or the SA M1A Match. I'll post the pics of them later in the long arm section...I still take the Protector also...

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Give me the straight story: can your Beretta 92FS hold a 2" group at 17 yards more than once a year? I freely admit mine won't. Any aftermarket work to accurize it?

·
Registered
27,705 Posts
Originally posted by ZekeLuvs1911:
No problem BillD, I grab my two Bushmaster AR-15 or the SA M1A Match. I'll post the pics of them later in the long arm section...I still take the Protector also...

So you grab TWO AR's? That must be fun to watch. I know you are into collecting guns and posting pictures of them on the internet.
As has been said many times, "It ain't the gun, it's the nut behind the butt."

------------------
"Even the most normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats"
Mencken

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey, who says I'm a nut??? I've owned guns for ten years now and still haven't done anything illegal with them! I believe very strongly in my right to own whatever I chose to have and can get legally....although that is harder and harder now.....

·
Registered
260 Posts
BillD, it goes without saying. My question really boils down to which one did he like best for defense/CQB, creativly asked. Now I want to know how he likes his M1A because I was looking at that next. I have a bushy commando now and want a 308.

Zeke I was thinking about a wilson or maybe the new TRP operator. Nice collection you have. All shooters, I like that. You need another SA and another beretta to complete the pairs

------------------
George Orwell: "That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

1 - 20 of 21 Posts