1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a post from another website:

"My personal carry gun is an original 1911 mfg. in 1918 tricked out with adjustable rear, dovetail front sites, Chip McCormick sear and hammer. Sweet."

i replied back to the post informing the guy that the gun is probably worth mega bucks in original condition. it made me sick that some people really know how to ruin history, IMO.

------------------
Caspian frame + Colt parts = Col-spian? or Cas-olt?

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Actually, the gun probably is not worth megabucks, although he was have ruined what value the gun had as a collector's item. Depending on original condition, the gun may not have been worth more than a few hundred. I have a Remington Rand (1917 year made) in 90% condition that is only worth about $1500. That is hardly mega-bucks. If the gun was a Singer, then he really screwed up.

Actually, I can't think of a better thing to do to a 1911 than actually use it. As for ruining history, there are plenty of old 1911s around to reflect that period of history. While that part of history is not preserved, he has inhanced his connection of the present with the past.

·
Administrator
10,856 Posts
If it was made in 1918, then it wasn't a Singer. If my source is correct, all 500 Singers were assembled in Nov 1941.

·
Administrator
10,856 Posts
BTW, if my source is correct, the earliest Remington Rand was accepted by Ordnance inspectors in November 1942.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Remington Rand = WWII (the typewritter company)

Remington UMC = WWI (the gun/ammo company)

FWIW

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Registered
691 Posts
Sounds like a Collector vs. User debate. Since its his personal carry piece, I'd say this guy was a user, not a collector.

The NRA had some kind of competition for a gold plated Sharps rifle, 1 of 2 made. I told my freinds that if I got it, I'd see how it grouped at 500 yards........

------------------
-Electric Armadillo-

·
Administrator
72,106 Posts
I hate seeing classic guns butchered up as well, but it is entirely likely that old Colt was in fair shape at best when he decided to customize it. I once bought an old 1918 Colt with no finish left and reblued it. When I tried to sell it online I was chastised by some for not leaving it original. The fact was, when I bought it the thing was only worth $450, and I sold it for $550 which covered the cost of the reblue. I didn't make any money on it, but I obviously didn't hurt its value either.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 10-09-2001).]

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Crap, I did it again, Yes, Remington UMC, not friggin' Rand. I have that stuck in my mind for some reason. Thanks for the correction. You can tell how much I take it out to look at it!

·
Administrator
10,856 Posts
As Jim V mentions above, Remington UMC would be consistent with a manufacture date of 1917.

[This message has been edited by Tim Burke (edited 10-09-2001).]

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if its worth $800 or more in original condition then i would call that "mega bucks"

------------------

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
We had a 1912 Navy model in used once. The slide was an A1 slide, and it'd been badly reblued, mixed up parts.

I was gonna buy it and fix it up myself, but then figured any time I showed someone the gun, they'd all think I'd done it to an original :)

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by Black Pearl 45:
if its worth $800 or more in original condition then i would call that "mega bucks"
Mega-Bucks = $800??? Hardly, especially here in the PRK, in my not so humble opinion

That would put some of the Classic Stainless Kimber's in the "Mega-Buck's" category, and certainly any of the Colt XS variants, or Kimber CDP variants.

It really isn't until you get into that ~$2000~2500 range and up that "Mega-Bucks" is really considered, since $1500 and under is still a Generic price range for High Volume, Production guns, like a TRP, Gold Cup, or Gold Match.

For USGI Collectibles, finding an original 1911, or 1911A1 for under $1000 is a steal, even in fair shape. You will more likely be in the neighborhood of ~$2000 +/- $500, depending on Condition, Originality, and Manufacturer. Around here, "MegaBucks" is the Pristine 1912 Colt Navy in 98/99% for $3500-4500.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well im a POOR man in Kalif, so $800 or more is rarely seen by me, none of my guns ever cost so much.

but i shall revise my original statement.

"the gun is probably worth a FEW bucks in original condition"

maybe even worth enough in original condition to buy a more modern gun for carry.

------------------

·
Registered
246 Posts
When I was much younger, and much more stupid, I picked up a 1911 for next to nothing. It was a Colt Commercial, in 45 ACP, but with '.455' stamped on the barrel. All parts appeared to be original, in 80+% condition, and the gun and barrel were stamped with British proof marks. I immediately practiced my advanced gunsmithing (stippling) skills on the frame!

I found out later that this one had been sent to England in a collection of privately owned weapons when the Brits found themselves short of weapons and fearing invasion, before we entered WWII. Very few of them survived the anti-gun English after the war, and almost none made their way back to the US. Every time I think about what I did to that gun, I feel like doing the same thing to my forehead!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
a friend of mine has a small company selling 1911 parts and S&W parts, he sells mostly at gun shows and some out of his house.

he has a early 1911 mainspring housing that is smooth and has the lanyard loop, someone went and took a punch and made CRATERS in the smooth MSH, in an effort to add more grip and less slip.

then he has guys with NIB springfields that want the original MSH because it has the landard loop, imagine a 90yo part on a brand new gun just for the "coolness factor". he tells those guys (mostly young and dumb guys) that those parts are for people who want to rebuild there original 1911s, and wont sell it to them.

------------------

·
Administrator
72,106 Posts
The big problem is, from the 1950s through the 1980s a GI gun was mostly just an ugly junker you bought cheap and either turned into something worth owning (i.e. you customized it) or you used it for gunsmithing practice. What I wouldn't do to take a time machine back and pick all those "junkers" up at some gun show for $150 bucks each. The fact that so many truly nice ones have survived the wars, government demilitarization, and rookie gunsmiths is quite amazing!

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have Colt 1911 US Army made in 1914. It was given to me 50 years ago. When it was given to me it was 98%. It has always been a shooter and is now used for pins. I do not regret any maintence, part replacements or upgrades such as new sights or the new ejector it recently needed after 85 years. It is in excellent condition. It runs fine. If I had it to do over I would do just the same. It is worth more to me this way that sitting in a box for 50 years.

Dean

1 - 17 of 17 Posts