1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say that I'm glad to find this forum here, I've been wanting to get a 1911 for a while now - after I made up my mind on what to get - and having a support forum like this is AWESOME! Any how...

Getting myself a Norinco 1911 here soon, and wanted to ask a quick question. I put about 70rnds thru it before I decided to by it, and I've got the hammer bite mark to prove it. What's the easiest way to relieve hammer bite? I figure 3 things, but I'm not sure what would be best:
1. Shorten 'spur' on the stock hammer.
2. Install a commander style hammer.
3. Install hi-ride beaver tail grip safety.

I think shortening the spur would do it, but I'm concerned that if I take off too much mass I'm going to loose reliable ignition.
I don't know if installing the commander hammer would work or if it would simply pinch the web of my hand like the current hammer does
I'm concerned that installing a hi-ride beaver tail grip safety will interfere with hammer movement when in recoil and the slide is all the way back.

I know I'm not getting a kimber here (i.e. All those features) but that's not what I wanted, I was looking for a straight shooting reliable project gun and found one for a good price. I'm going to be adding stuff over time, but it'll be a while before I can do that so I'm looking for a quick (and cheap) fix for the time being before I go the whole 9 yards.

-Mitchell R. Drews

·
Registered
196 Posts
Mitch,I own three 1911s.The Norinco is the only one that does not bit me so I left it standard. The tang on the grip saftey seems to be longer than the ones on my Colt or Springfield.My hands are probably average in size.I went for the commander hammer and beavertail safety on these 1911s to ease my pain.I would vote for bobbing the hammer on your Norinco.A dremel tool and a cutoff wheel will make short work of this. Remove just enough to miss the web of your hand and polish it up to remove the sharp edges.Another possiblity is to install a commander hammer and a drop in beavertail safety.For parts you might check with Wilsons or Kings pistol works.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Bob the hammer spur and add a dab of cold blue to cover up the raw metal. If you look at some of the "warp speed" type hammers out there you will see that you will not remove enough metal to have unreliable ignition.

(Yes, I know "Warp Speed" is somebody's trademark.)

If you are in the US, would you reply to my questions in the NORINCO RESEARCH thread? Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
cutting and chopping on your Norinco

To tell you the truth I would not.
My Norinco is a safe queen. I take it out and shoot a box of ammo and thats it. My had gets sore. Man its worth it-just update the springs. I purchased a WW2 Mil-spec Springfield that will evolve into a carry gun.
Though no beaver tail safeties. I'll replace the grip safety with a,home, bobbed one that has a pad. An arched MSH-perhaps with a Norinco made one.
Come to think of it if anyone has a Norinco take off gripsaftey, thumb saftey and MSH that you would like to sell please leave a message.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Norinco#1, I don't understand why your 'rinco is a safe queen? Mine have thousands of rounds put through them. I am not sure a Springfield WW2 Mil-Spec 1911A1 will evolve into a better carry gun than a 'rinco. This is my #2 'rinco and it works as well any for a defensive pistol. Regards, Richard:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
No disrespect intended

Richard.
No disrespect intended. I have had a hard time in my area finding another Norinco 5" much less a Commander sized.
I am an old time 1911 shooter. The Norinco is the closest pistol I have found that is like the one I carried while in the military. It is the keeper of keepers. I have not the heart to change it. Heavy trigger pull and all.
If I had found another Norinco I would have passed on any Springfield and set it up with the money saved. This WW2 Springfield comes closest yet is no where near the Norinco. Best regards. Steven

·
Registered
307 Posts
Richard said:
Norinco#1, I don't understand why your 'rinco is a safe queen? Mine have thousands of rounds put through them. I am not sure a Springfield WW2 Mil-Spec 1911A1 will evolve into a better carry gun than a 'rinco. This is my #2 'rinco and it works as well any for a defensive pistol. Regards, Richard:D

Agree!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts