1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off just wanted to say hi to everyone. I am currently somewhere in iraq, but I just got back off R&R leave. When I was home I bought a Loaded MC operator. Its my first 1911. I have always had glocks and HK's. I only got to put about 100 rounds through it, but let me tell you all ALL my other guns are now going up for sale!! i shoulda switched to a 1911 along time ago. I am already looking at adding to my collection and heck even my wife likes to shoot the 1911 more than her little .38 S&W revolver.
I have been reading alot about the 1911's on the site and let me tell you this is a great site.

·
Registered
97 Posts
welcome to the world of 1911s. they are a beautiful, yet useful machine. i have been looking at the SA operators myself. you can't go wrong with a SA firearm. keep your head down.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
thx for your service.

but..don't sell your Glocks and HKs. You will regret.

If you sell, let me know what you have. I still like Glocks, HKs, 1911, AR...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re:

No I probably wont sell my other toys... Done that in the past with some other things and have been kicking myself in the butt ever since.. So After doing some research on here I was wondering if i should spend the money and have like a trigger job, feed ramb, tune job etc done to the operator? I dont need it to look all fancy or anything I just want the most reliable gun as possible. so any info on this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
No I probably wont sell my other toys... Done that in the past with some other things and have been kicking myself in the butt ever since.. So After doing some research on here I was wondering if i should spend the money and have like a trigger job, feed ramb, tune job etc done to the operator? I dont need it to look all fancy or anything I just want the most reliable gun as possible. so any info on this would be appreciated.

I wouln't bother with it at this time if it is shooting well.

But if you really want to have it tuned up, send it to Springfield Custom Shop. Call Deb and tell her you want the Defense Package. It is $175.00 and worth the cost.

Go to SA web site and check the Custom Shop price sheet. You will see the options. But SA will do anything you want.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re

what all does the defense package do? so you still activeduty?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Don't sell them, add to the collection.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
what all does the defense package do? so you still activeduty?
1911-A1 Defense Package $175.00
Deburr complete pistol internally; tune extractor & ejector; recut barrel throat and polish feed ramp; check barrel bushing fit (in 5” non-ported
pistols only); check headspace; install heavy duty recoil spring & buffer system (buffer system in 5” & 6” pistols only); smoothly tuned 4.5# trigger pull.
They will test fire it.

Still in.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re

Sounds good to me, thanks EOD. Gonna have the wife box it up and send it in for me since I got about 5 months left on this tour.
Oh yeah EOD much respect for ya, you all have saved my ass a few times here in Iraq.. by the way 11B here.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Sounds good to me, thanks EOD. Gonna have the wife box it up and send it in for me since I got about 5 months left on this tour.
Oh yeah EOD much respect for ya, you all have saved my ass a few times here in Iraq.. by the way 11B here.
OK, 11B. You guys provide the team security now and then. We are a team.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Armyguy, thanks first of all for serving our country.

I'd like to play devil's advocate here--no disrespect intended to army_eod. If your gun works well, I wouldn't bother with the defense package. Your MC operator is made as tightly as their TRP's, and the pistol has already been deburred internally with a polished ramp & throat. Your extractor ovbiously works well since you didn't have any probs w/ extractor/ejection. And I know for a fact that the bushing fit on the MC is better than the Milspecs and some Loadeds. Also, I'm almost certain your MC already has an 18# recoil spring. I know because I just bought an MC Oper. myself and the work is top notch except for the creep in my trigger.

If I were you and I had a few extra funds. I'd rather have SA do their trigger job with their tool steel hammer & sear ($195.00).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re:

So is there anyone else out there with any info or advice?? should i do the defense package or not? I dont have any problems with the gun, i just want it to run the best it can. also what are my options on having a mag well added?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Welcome aboard to the forum and the wonderful world of 1911's. You have been bitten my friend and will likely be addicted for life. I now have 9 of 'em of various sizes and makers. Above all, thank you and your wife for your service an I wish you both a Happy and Healthy New Year.

Senior Chief USN/Ret

·
Registered
556 Posts
Another dittos on your service. My nephew just got back from a second tour and another is going soon.

I am in the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' camp. Uncle Sam won't supply you with ammo here so you might burn up that $175 if you enjoy shooting it. I recently added a Smith & Alexander MSH/magwell to my Colt, (my TRP already had it). It was well worth the effort (no pun intended). You might want squared off grips with it and they have a large selection to choose from. To me it really adds to the looks and it's functional with no down side that I can see.:rock:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re

Can you tell me where to get the smith magwell?? also is it something i can do myself or do i need to send it out to a gunsmith?

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
It sounds like you won't be happy until you do it, so send it back to SA and have them do the Defense Package AND the Smith & Alexander magwell and be done with it. Then you'll get another 1911 and the cycle will start over again...Trust me, I know...I think I have 12 of them now and didn't have 200 rounds thru my Wilson Combat until I started thinking about mods. Good Luck.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Congratz on the SA! The MC Operator is the same SA I am looking at for my second 1911. Sounds like your going to be a little busy for the next few months to shoot your new pistol. Guess that makes perfect sense to send it in to SA to have some work done. The problem with going with the defense package is SA is already doing some of those things to the Operator, I don't see what you will gain other then the trigger work. Personally I would hold off on any work until I got a few more rounds down range.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Can you tell me where to get the smith magwell?? also is it something i can do myself or do i need to send it out to a gunsmith?
Yes, you can do it! They are great to work with and quality products. I followed Jim V's instructions on this site, never did it before. Once you go through it you'll see how easy it is. My magwell opening was a hair narrow for me but they say in their instructions you may need to file the sides for magazine clearance. Took me about 3 minutes more going slow and careful. That isn't an area you'll see with a magazine in but anything worth doing is worth overdoing.:)
http://www.smithandalexander.com

1 - 20 of 28 Posts