1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to see what makes my 1911 tick, and sure enough its pretty damn complicated!

I got the trigger and the mag release back in. I'm having problems seating the sear, disconnect, and firing pin safety.

I pinned the sear, disconnect and firing pin safety in on several occasions sucessfully earlier this evening, however I was unable to pin in the hammer.

Anything I'm doing wrong?

Theres plenty of guides out there that have detailed instructions with pictures on how to take it apart with a succinct "To put it back together, just do everything in reverse!" notion.

Help. :scratch:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Make sure the flat side at the bottom of the disconnector faces the trigger, with the angled side facing to the rear. The suare "feet" of the sear are at the bottom, while the narrow, full width "nose" is at the top pointing to the rear.

Install the hammer before you install the leaf spring and mainspring housing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Duke,

If you'd like to send it to me with oh say, a thousand rounds of ammo......I'll reassemble it and test fire it a thousand times for you :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
If you check the top of the Kimber forum there is a sticky that has detailed re-assembly instructions with great photos attached. Don't ask how I know this:Drocko

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Since you own a 1911 it's high time that you learned how to detail stip it anyway, so this isn't a big deal. Just don't lose your temper or get in a hurry and force anything. It would be best if you could find someone in your area that is already intimately familiar with the 1911, to help you on this first time to make sure you don't screw up. If your Kimber is a full sized model it will be simpler to take apart than one of the compact models. Just make sure that you get the sear spring properly seated at the top and bottom before you try and slide the mainspring housing into place.

7th

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah, that sear spring. It seems so simple and innocuous but it has caused me more trouble in reassembling than any other part. It just seems to always want to wander away from where it should be (while you are hanging on to the msh and grip safety as your thumb safety falls out) ;-)

Getting the pin back into the msh was no real picnic either. Man, that spring is taut. I believe you could leave a 1911 cocked for 20 years and not wear that spring.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've found that the easiest way to keep the sear spring from straying is to partially replace the MSH into the gun - just enough to put pressure on the sear spring. This will keep it in place but still give you enough room to replace the grip safety.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
After you have the sear and disconnector in place, just lay the flat spring in there, with the tab in the hole at the lower end. Then slip the MSH up to hold it in while you put in the hammer and grip safety.

When installing the hammer, you have to pull the trigger to get the sear forward so the hammer will go in.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts