1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if anyone has talked about these yet...I did a search and it didn't come up. Well lo and behold, someone went out and actually made the almighty "perfect" Glock a bit better. I see they made a frame that is 1. alloy. 2. has the SAME grip angle as a 1911 (biggest improvement I can see) 3. manual "officers" saftey. 4. changeable backstrap. 5. light rail.

To me, if I WERE a Glock fan, I would be all over this mod.

http://ccfraceframes.com/content/kit.html

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Nah...just buy American with the M&P from S&W:D

It has #'s 2,3 (aval. on the M&P 45) ,4, and 5 from your list

·
Registered
547 Posts
But, I actually like polymer.:hrm:
I like the grip angle and the way it snaps back on target.:hrm:
And does it have the same trigger reset? The same reputation for reliability and longevity?:hrm:

Maybe its for people who can't figure out how to shoot a Glock.:scratch:

·
Registered
19 Posts
The frames have been out for a little while. I would just be a little hesitant to fix what isn't broken. Glocks are so reliable the way they come. They are interesting though and the Glock as it is might not be for everyone so it is nice to have options.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I see these as a gimmick and not an improvement myself. Polymer is SUPPOSE to be more crack resistant and corrosion resistant than alloy from what I've read and heard.

·
Banned
721 Posts
Talk about a waste of money and a solution to a non-existent problem. I doubt you're going to make the Glock any more reliable, so it stands to reason you would actually make it less reliable by going with this home-brew do-hickey.

If you want a 1911, go buy one. Why on earth would you butcher a well made and very reliable pistol like that?

·
Banned
721 Posts
Watch this slow motion video of a Glock 18 being fired. Watch the frame flex and absorb the recoil impulse of each shot fired. This quality is what originally made the Glock unique and likely contributes to the guns extremely long service life and reliability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-ToCK4C7ig

Swapping out the Glocks frame for a metal one would be like taking a F1 race car and taking the aluminum block and and replacing it with a cast iron block then calling it an improvement.

·
Registered
14,937 Posts
G34Shooter said:
What's funny is that the Glock grip angle works better for some people (like me) than the standard 1911 one.... ;)

Yeah, and considering that there are more Glocks in use now than the total number of 1911s ever built, I'd say the grip angle, etc, isn't a problem for a lot of folks!:cool:

·
Banned
721 Posts
WalterGC said:
Yeah, and considering that there are more Glocks in use now than the total number of 1911s ever built, I'd say the grip angle, etc, isn't a problem for a lot of folks!:cool:
I keep hearing this manufacturing figure yet when I question the person posting it where they got their information they go silent.

Where did you hear that more Glocks have been made than 1911's? Do you have a link? I would like to see those numbers as I find them hard to believe.

The 1911 has been in constant production by many-many companies since... well, 1911. It is not only built in the US but several other countries build 1911's and have for many years. Glock is the only one making Glocks and they've only been doing it since the early 80's (81/82).

By the end of WWII well over 2 million 1911's had been made... They've been in constant production since the war. Heck, Kimber cranks out 47,000 at least a year by themselves. Read the handgun production report by the ATF.

·
Banned
976 Posts
Knew about the frames a few years ago. Others are making them too.

Stick with stock Glock. They're made simple and loose like an AK.

Any attempt to mod or improve them detracts from their inherent reliability.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Both great guns, but that replacement lower isn't all what is cracked up to be, a friend has one, and it's not reliable. It's a stove piper, but it does feel different.

·
Registered
313 Posts
full-auto said:
I keep hearing this manufacturing figure yet when I question the person posting it where they got their information they go silent.

Where did you hear that more Glocks have been made than 1911's? Do you have a link? I would like to see those numbers as I find them hard to believe.

The 1911 has been in constant production by many-many companies since... well, 1911. It is not only built in the US but several other countries build 1911's and have for many years. Glock is the only one making Glocks and they've only been doing it since the early 80's (81/82).

By the end of WWII well over 2 million 1911's had been made... They've been in constant production since the war. Heck, Kimber cranks out 47,000 at least a year by themselves. Read the handgun production report by the ATF.

The last figures I read was over 4 Million and that was in 2006...

·
Registered
674 Posts
Wouldn't a grip reduction and a manual safety (don't know who does it but I see the advertisement is various gun magazines) be cheaper than a new frame?

I believe these are geared more towards competition shooters where the extra weight reduces recovery time between shots.

·
Administrator
73,765 Posts
Well, there are plenty of things out there to "fix" parts of the 1911 that I didn't know where broken, so I guess now it's Glock's turn.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I would think the heavier frame would reduce the recoil and be better balanced, so it's not top heavy.

Does it improve the trigger also.

Then, you need an aftermarket "sleeker" round slide...oh wait...;)

Couldn't resist. :D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts