1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m making a 3D model of a 1911 with labeled parts and how they function. If a couple of you have like 5-10 mins to run over my model quickly, it would really help to make sure I’ve got it right. I would post my work to this forum, but I don’t want to do that until I know it’s right, and that I’ve corrected any mistakes I might have made.

Would anyone be willing to look at this and make some pointers if I got things wrong? I can privately send a link to the images I’ve created. Let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, got some views but no replies. I guess I'll have to reveal a little of my work to get the ball rolling. I have 5 other sections besides this graphic. They cover chambering a round, pulling the trigger, ejecting the cartridge, etc. I could really use some help in making sure this is right!

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,338 Posts
The front sight is backwards. :D
The bold lines delineating the gun's external shape obscure the faint lines of the interior. Maybe selectively bold to high-light the parts movement? When the trigger is moving it's bold, then the hammer, etc.?

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
In your model, the breech section does not drop down as the slide comes back -- that dropping down (being pulled down by the link) is the key to the M1911's functioning.

·
Super Moderator
22,338 Posts
It looks like the barrel is moving the me? I'm watching the link and lower lug, rather than the barrel tube relative to the slide.

·
Banned
4,947 Posts
In your model, the breech section does not drop down as the slide comes back -- that dropping down (being pulled down by the link) is the key to the M1911's functioning.
Unless he just updated it, it looks like it does to me. If you look at the lugs on the barrel you can see the breech swing down as the slide goes back.

I think it looks pretty neat. Good job.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Looks good. Only "issue" I see, is that the barrel is unlocking and the slide is cycling WAY too early in relation to the bullet leaving the muzzle.

·
Registered
631 Posts
There is no guide rod.

And while nothing to do with the actual drawing, looks like two spaces between "HOW" and "A" in top left text.

Neat illustration though...good job!

·
Super Moderator
22,338 Posts
I put my arrow on the breech top, and the breech top remained steady throughout the cycle.
I put my arrow on the forward-most top barrel lug, and it does move up and forward.

unlocking and the slide is cycling WAY too early in relation to the bullet leaving the muzzle.
I watched it cycle one time and the slide didn't move until the bullet was gone, then I watched it again, and the slide started moving when the bullet was half-way down the bore.

·
Registered
23,227 Posts
Very nice. Add the lugs and the locking and unlocking of the barrel in the next version. Of course the guide rod and what some others have said. I know that is a lot of work to get where you are. Congratulations.

·
Registered
12,458 Posts
Very nice work, even if not quite a finished product ... Congratulations and Thanks for posting!

If I had a suggestion or two to add -- and I know it's a lot easier to suggest than to actually "do it" -- my suggestion would be to more clearly display the interactions among the disconnector, sear, trigger bow, hammer hooks, and if possible, the thumb & grip safety mechanisms (would multiple colors, one for each component, be possible here?). Possibly slow-down the speed of the display so that it could be viewed in slow-motion. Also, although I've personally never been "inside" of a 1911 during firing:D, I suspect that the actual feeding of each round into the chamber is more of a bouncing or deflecting action (off the feedramp) than the silky smooth action that's depicted in the current animation.

Again, very nice work here, and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh boy … I can tell I’m about to be in for a lot more work. But it’s worth it to make sure the information is correct!

The only issue is that I’m planning on releasing this project later this month. So please don’t spread these images just yet, as they’re guaranteed to be inaccurate. That’s why I’m consulting the you, the experts.

I’ll be sure to add 1911 forums to the credits when I release the project :) The last infographic I did on Car Engines got published on NY Times, Car Talk, Jalopnik, you name it. Chances are this one is also going to travel the interwebz; at least I hope it does!

Here's the full set of images: http://jacoboneal.com/_test/1911/

·
Administrator
74,047 Posts
The ejection of the empty case is wrong. It should be tumbling straight back and whacking the shooter in the forehead.

;)

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
I can barely operate this computer to find THIS website. I am SOOOOOOOOOOO impressed by people that can do this kind of stuff.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The ejection of the empty case is wrong. It should be tumbling straight back and whacking the shooter in the forehead.

;)
< smirk >.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
;)
Oh darn! :bawling: That would mean all mine are broken. Looks like I will be shipping them out for repair now.:grumble:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts