1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys this is my first post here at 1911forum.com and well I am looking at buying a new 1911. I have owned several 1911’s in the past but about 7 years ago when I got married I sold all my handguns and most of my rifles for financial reasons. Well In the past year I have had a turn in my finances and have been building my collection back up, however I currently only own one 1911; a Springfield Ultra Compact that I use for Concealed Carry (Yes I have a New Mexico CCW). I currently own the Springfield Ultra Compact, a Springfield XD-40 Service, and Bersa thunder .380(the Wife’s) and now I want a nice mid to high end fullsized 1911.

Well I have narrowed my search down to 4 possibilities for a new 1911 I am looking for some opinions on these and if you have a recommendation for another 1911 in the 950 to 1200 price range that would be cool also. The things that I want in a 1911:

1. Reliability
2. An accessories rail
3. Reliability
4. Nice black, green or tan finish

This gun will not really be for any tactical purpose but more just for looks and fun at the range. I may carry it on occasion but it will not be my concealed weapon (Already has a springer ultra compact for that). So the final 4 are as follows.

1. The Kimber Custom TLE/RL II: http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/custom/tlerl.php
a.I can find this one for about 980.00 locally and I like that. However I have read some reviews that have lead me to believe that it may not be to reliable.
2. The Kimber Custom Warrior II: http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/custom/warrior.php
a.I really like this gun and it is in my price range but just barley as I can get it locally for 1170.00 but all the reviews I have read say it is a very reliable firearm.
3. The Sig Revalution Nitro Rail: http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/Sho...rodu ctid=112
a.I loved the feel of the slide on this gun amazingly smooth however, I have heard a lot of negative things about the sig 1911’s that sig hasent really been in the 1911 game long enough to get it right?
4. The Springfield Operator lightweight: http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=33
a.I like the Springfield name, I already own 2 Springfield handguns (Ultra compact and XD-40 Service) I can get one of these for around 1100.00 locally.

Ok so those are the 4 that I am looking at. As of now I am leaning toward one of the Kimber’s but I’m not sure and would like some feedback on all of them and what you guys think. Let me know, thanks.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Come on, step it up to a TRP Operator! I think they have a lightweight version of that now as well, but I could be wrong. Go TRP anyways.:rock:

·
Registered
333 Posts
I haven't shot any of the others, but my six-year-old Custom TLE II is my favorite pistol ever and has been 100% reliable and accurate for many thousands of rounds.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
First off, Joeshwa24, I'd recommend an all-steel Government (you've got enough of the light framed pistols and you'll appreciate the trade-off between felt recoil and faster follow-up shots with the slightly heavier frame versus the few ounces gained in the lighter frames)...

Reliability, with the new semi-custom or custom designs, has pretty much become a moot point, IME. Certainly there are exceptions, but most of the pistols at the price point you've selected will be rock-solid reliable (unless some backyard gunsmith decided to turn a wrench on them, or they slipped past the QC measures of said manufacturer)...

I would then recommend looking for used custom or semi-custom pistols that haven't been messed with-- they usually have very few rounds down the barrel and the savings and upgrade to you (let the initial owner take the hit of a new pistol) are worth the slight holster wear and minor scratches you might encounter. You gain with parts quality, fitting, and accuracy along with continued long-term performance and reliability (good 1911's don't lose their tightness/reliability when the starting product is done correctly in the parts and fitting department). Look for a Wilson Combat, a Les Baer, a SA Professional, or examples of other respected builders at web auction sites, local gunshops (let them know what you're looking for and ask them to find good used pistols for you to purchase), or wander through the larger gun shows; you never know what a late Sunday bargaining session might produce from a dealer getting ready to pack-up and hit-the-road...

If new is absolutely a requirement of yours, I'd opt for the Springfield TRP (again in all-steel -- a nice small upgrade over the standard Operator, but well worth the extra 'C' notes) in either stainless or tactical finish. I own the older full-rail TRP and it's a rock-solid design. The only downside for me was the non-bushing set-up (a minor problem) and the ILS system of all SA designs (this can be remedied with quality aftermarket parts). I also didn't like the ambi-thumb safety and replaced it with a strong-side Ed Brown forged thumb safety...

Since you're familiar with SA and their products and if you decide for a NIB handgun, it's a simple choice to select the Operator or TRP -- as a nice bonus you get their excellent warranty as part of the deal...good luck whatever road you decide to travel...

ColtM1911A1

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow thanks for the input guys, sorry it took so long to respond but I had the chance to go to the range everyday this weekend and some how the wife said yes.
Danceswithguns, Dotson, & timberwolf- Actual the reason I am leaning toward the kimber is simply that I already have 2 Springfield’s and I think I want to diversify. Although it is still very much in the running

zdragon52- Not a big SW fan, never really have been.

Agentclark- At the cost of the TRP it better come with a good divorce lawyer...lol

brainiac- I do like TLE a lot and I got to shoot one yesterday and I am leaning heavily toward that or the warrior. (I’m hoping that when we get to the store I will be able to say something like "Honey common this ones 950 this ones 1170 there both expensive")

ColtM1911A1- Good comments I will see what I can find in a good used 1911... Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts