1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have personal, in-depth experience with Hi Point Handguns? I’m wondering about their quality, accuracy, durability and customer service.
Thank you.

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
I own three, they shoot where you aim if you don't suck and are very reliable. Customer support is as good as Wilson actually in that if anything goes wrong regardless of the owner they will fix it......

Quality wise it's a pot metal brick that fires bullets with plastic like trim

·
Administrator
72,084 Posts
Hi-Points are dirt-cheap firearms meant for those who simply cannot afford more than $200 for a handgun and a box of ammunition to defend themselves with. They are not meant to please handgun cognoscenti who routinely spend that much just on ammo every month. If you're worried about how well-made or durable they are then you're barking up the wrong tree. They're a gun, and they will shoot a bullet across the room. That's all their intended consumer base needs to worry about. Reliability-wise they seem to be fine, but long-term durability is questionable as they are not intended to last several thousand rounds with their pot-metal construction. If you actually expect to put more than a case of ammo through one in its lifetime then you probably should've coughed up another $50 or so and gotten a SCCY CPX-2 or a Taurus G2C instead. The guy who usually buys a Hi-Point simply can't afford another $50 out of his meager monthly pay.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Check out the review by Garand Thumb. He strongly disputes the myth that Hi Points are "built like tanks." They are not. They are heavy not because they are overbuilt, but rather because the action requires a very heavy slide, but that critical part (the slide) is exactly where the folks at Hi Point save money -- it is made of pot metal and can fail catastrophically, as Garand Thumb demonstrates in his video.

Further, people often praise Hi Point's warranty. Sure, they'll replace your pistol no-questions-asked if it fails catastrophically, but that will be of very little comfort to you when a perp is grinning savagely at you and advancing with his machete as you stand there with your broken Hi Point.

I recommend people either save up for something better or buy a service trade in Glock.

·
Administrator
72,084 Posts
Garand Thumb's Hi-Point broke because it took a hard fall. The zinc-based pot metal used in a Hi-Point has virtually no shear strength whatsoever and will break in two with any strong lateral force. It's basically the same stuff BB and toy guns are made out of. Having said that, the person who is likely to buy a Hi-Point isn't going to run & gun with it. I say again, it'll do the job it was meant to do. If a person who can easily swing a $550 Glock wants to go cheap and get a $180 Hi-Point as a truck gun or something then do so by all means. Just don't criticize it for being a piece of cheap garbage when you're not the one having to decide between paying this month's rent, buying a pair of shoes for your kid, or getting a gun to protect him and you against the thugs down the street who want to force him into joining their gang.

·
Premium Member
20,258 Posts
A perfect example of you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I didn't say it was "garbage," and I didn't criticize anybody. I pointed out that it is not "built like a tank" (a common myth) and that the warranty is a selling point that won't help someone if the gun fails on them when they need it most. I offered a recommendation specifically for people who must "decide between paying this month's rent, buying a pair of shoes for your kid, or getting a gun to protect him," as you put it.

There is indeed a lot of gun snobbery that gets bandied about when discussing Hi Points, but I don't think I went there, at all.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I know that you didn't ask this question, but I think if I really needed a cheap gun I'd be looking at the SCCY in 9mm. I handled one once in a shop and it felt better than I thought it would.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I know that you didn't ask this question, but I think if I really needed a cheap gun I'd be looking at the SCCY in 9mm. I handled one once in a shop and it felt better than I thought it would.
Yep, Sccy & the Taurus G2C are very close to the same price point as Hi-Point though I believe they are a little more expensive. I had a Taurus PT111-G2 (the predecessor to the G2C). I sold it because I didn't like the trigger but it worked & worked well. I have heard the same thing said about the Hi-Point. Even in the current market you can still find affordable options if you are willing to dig around.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I've still got a G2c.. Replace the rod and firing-pin guide and go. Works great - every time.

Difference is: I already know Taurus "Warranty" is about worthless - at least Hi-Point has one and is 'local'. Personally, I think they are way too clunky in comparison to the G2c, but that's me.

·
Administrator
72,084 Posts
I didn't say it was "garbage," and I didn't criticize anybody. I pointed out that it is not "built like a tank" (a common myth) and that the warranty is a selling point that won't help someone if the gun fails on them when they need it most. I offered a recommendation specifically for people who must "decide between paying this month's rent, buying a pair of shoes for your kid, or getting a gun to protect him," as you put it.

There is indeed a lot of gun snobbery that gets bandied about when discussing Hi Points, but I don't think I went there, at all.
Sorry brother, my comment wasn't directed at you specifically. I was speaking in general terms regarding when people bring up the subject of Hi-Points.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Sorry brother, my comment wasn't directed at you specifically. I was speaking in general terms regarding when people bring up the subject of Hi-Points.
Thanks, DSK. I'm sensitive regarding this topic because I hate gun snobs myself. I've been on the receiving end from high-end 1911 snobs telling me my mods to my Colt were worthless because it would never be an Ed Brown and stuff like that.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I had a Hi Point .45. Big, heavy, awkward, hassle to take apart. They work and are plenty accurate, though.

Nowdays when you can get something like a Taurus G3 for under $250 (I bought one for $214) or even a Canik for cheap I wouldn't go for a Hi Point. Unless you're dead set on a USA made gun.

·
Registered
110 Posts
After watching the abuse of the reviews on youtube, I bought a 45.
I love it for what it's made for, they are the best truck-guns on the market
I soon bought a 9mm, then another because it was on sale.

The only ones I've heard of with a failure, is either a early-production 9mm, or the few that finally received fatal damage on youtube. All of mine ran from the box, or maybe it was a paper bag.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
*sniff* *sniff*

EWWWWW.....

Somebody stepped in troll dung.

:barf:

·
Registered
53 Posts
...The guy who usually buys a Hi-Point simply can't afford another $50 out of his meager monthly pay.
Every last person I know who has or had a Hi-Point could have easily enough afforded more but chose to go cheap. I do not view a Hi-Point as a poverty pistol but a cheapskates pistol. When we were young and seriously poor, we'd buy something used.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
<snip>

I say again, it'll do the job it was meant to do. If a person who can easily swing a $550 Glock wants to go cheap and get a $180 Hi-Point as a truck gun or something then do so by all means.

</snip>
But why do that when you can get a Remington R51 for $20 more? It may have a suck reputation too, but at least its not pot metal. 😄

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
BOY, I'm glad I don't need to worry about Hi Points. :rolleyes:

And I've been retired twenty four years. :eek:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts