1911Forum banner

61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Yeah, Bersas may not be everyone's cup of tea, but they're not Zamak guns. I have an old Bersa 383A (predecessor of the Thunder 380), and it's still a great shooter. Definitely not made of pot metal.

I do own one Zamak gun. It's a Jennings J-22 that I bought way back in 1985. Believe it or not, it runs well after some slight extractor modification, and I've grown sort of attached to the little thing. It's cute, which is at least one advantage that it has over a Hi-Point.

With some smart shopping, even a quality new gun can often be found at prices that come very close to that of a new Hi-Point. A month or 2 ago, CDNN was selling Walther Creeds for $299. I need another 9mm like I need a hole in the head, but even I was tempted at that price.
yes on the 380s and 9mm they are close to pricing themselves out of the market. I am pretty sure thats why they developed the new 9mm. More features... particularly the threaded barrel.

Its best to buy hipoints used. They are best in the $100 and below range. Then they are quite the bargain. Creeds at $300 is a good price but twice that of a new C9. all the Taurus G2Cs at $200 really put a dent in Hipoints sales on the C9. Hence the new YC9 which will probably sell huge numbers when it finally gets released. I am not impressed with there double stack bottleneck plastic magazine though. That is a cluster of problems waiting to happen.

Hipoints would do a lot better if they just built there guns useing exhisting magazines. Popular mod on the 45s is to convert for 1911 magazine use. They should have designed that new C9 to run on something like Hipower mags if they wanted to go double stack shot mags.

Bersa Thunder 9 is one of the truely underated guns in the firearms industry. They are a nice walther P88 inspired pistol except they are durable and dont crack frames.

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
Blowback-operated handguns always have a much harsher recoil than locked-breech designs. I briefly owned a Bersa Thunder that stung the palm of my hand whenever I fired it, and that was only a .380!
Ever shot a Radom P-64? Most punishing recoil impulse of any semi-auto I've ever fired.
I have one and also a PPK, I'm not sure between the two what gun hurts more but the P64 has the hardest DA first shot of any of my guns aside from the nagant revolver

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I owned a Hi Point carbine. it was accurate reliable & inexpensive. However; I hated everything about it - it was always hideous to my eyes, & repulsive to my sensitive aesthetics - Like what I IMAGINE waking up next to a world record Troll Dog - after a wild night would feel like.
I just had to get shed of it - to restore my self respect.
Happy Ending - traded it even to local pawn shop for a FEG Hi Power clone.

I own a P64, a beautifully made small gun. NOT A RANGE TOY - But completely reliable discrete carry pistol - that feeds hollow points. Keeping mine, & my other 3 MAKS.

61 - 63 of 63 Posts