1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the way a Hi Power feels in my hand, but only until I shoot it. It bites the web of my hand very badly. Is there a smith who can weld on a bevertail that looks good and will end the bite? Has anyone done this modification to a Hi Power? Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
3,114 Posts
There are many gunsmiths who can weld up a beavertail...Wickmann, Novak, Pat Linthicum, etc. However, I've yet to see a P-35 beavertail that allowed for a truly high grip, as the best 1911 units do. I'm not sure they are the best answer for this problem.

The P-35 bites in two ways. First, the hammer spur can smack the web of the shooter's hand each time it is recocked by the reciprocating slide. This eventually "smacks" a raw spot on the web, especially if the hammer has sharp edges & corners, but there is no pinching involved...it is just repeated impacts. The hammer spur can be shortened and the edges & corners rounded to avoid this.

The other "biting" happens at near the base of the hammer. The shooter can get a roll of flesh pinched between the base of the hammer and the frame tang. This can be corrected by hogging out the back of the hammer in what Novak and Wickmann call the "no bite hammer modification".

I would determine if these simple and inexpensive hammer modifications cure the problem before I would commission the welding up of a beavertail.

Rosco

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I have the pinch problem. After several rounds I am generally bleeding and flinching. I am familar with Novak but not the other smith you mentioned, Wickmann. Do you have a web site or address for him? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
WHIT, I too have the same problem, I own 2 BHP's, a polished blue and the dull black with molded grips. I also own 3 Kareen Hi Powers made in Israel, they are exact copy's of the BHP, parts interchange like family, the only difference is that the Kareen was built with a beavertail build into the frame itself. Granted, these are hard to find but I'm not too keen on a beavertail being welded on afterwords.

John

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sousana, I am not familiar with the Kareen. If I have ever seen one I didn't know what I was looking at. Are they generally available in major gun shows or would a good sized gun shop be a better source. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,114 Posts
Excellent picture! Not to impugn Garthwaite's excellent work, but this well illustrates the problem with P-35 beavertails. Note how the beavertail extends straight out from the frame's tang, rather than sweeping upward like a proper hi-grip 1911 beavertail. As we can see, the position of the cocked hammer simply can't allow a proper upsweep unless the hammer were completely de-spurred.

This sort of beavertail forces the shooter's hand lower on the pistol, effectively raising the axis of the bore and the resultant muzzle flip.

Rosco

·
Registered
697 Posts
Who has a picture clearly showing the anti- hammer bite/pinch modification? Now that I've got my BHP, I'll definitely need this done. As I feel I have at least some limited skills in machining/home smithing, I'd like to save the time and expense of sending the gun off and do this myself. I'd just like to be able to see where and how much material is removed. Thanks.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have a problem with "bite" with the grips which come on the MkIII's. With Uncle Mike, Hogue, or Pachmayr's there is no longer a biting problem for me.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I must respectfully disagree with Rosco on this one.

I have owned a Garthwaite hi-power with the very same welded beavertail and I currently own and carry a Wickmann hi-power with the "anti-bite" modification. The beavertail does NOT force the hand to take a lower grip. It does, in fact, when the shooter shoots with a "high thumb" grip with the right thumb riding on top of the disengaged thumb safety, allow a HIGHER and MORE SECURE grip on the pistol with the result being less muzzle raise. It effectively locks the pistol into your hand with LESS effort. Hogging out the back of the hammer does not allow this and only makes sure that you don't get pinched. I prefer the aesthetics of the "no-bite" or "anti-bite" modification but I really miss the Garthwaite hi-power.

I would recommend just taking a Dremel tool and hogging out the back of a spur hammer (or having someone do it for you if you don't feel comfortable). Cut the spur at the third notch from the rear and bevel the edges of the cut and then you're there.

The beavertail, while extremely effective, is more expensive than required and, to some, ruins the classic lines of the hi-power.

If you do get a beavertail done, though, have Jim Garthwaite do it and make sure that he does his whole bevel package for you. He unobtrusively takes material from the front strap and (I believe) the back strap and the result is an extremely high and comfortable grip on the hi-power.

And, if you get it done, never sell it. You'll always regret it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I kind of have meaty hands and have a problem with the bite also. It seems that some one could make grips with a beavertail built in. It seems like that way you wouldn't have to permanently change the gun. If they are already making special grips for the High Powers, it seems like there would be a market for these. Anyone have a contact at a grip maker?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts