1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the way hi powers and 1911's fit my hands, which are a bit small. How are the two weapons different? I know both are Browning designs, and they seem similar in a number of ways. Any recommendations on a browning hi-power type or model, if they have different ones. thanks. Kyle

------------------
"freedom isn't free"

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Main difference is the trigger mechanism, and the Hi-Power uses a cam under the barrel as opposed to the 1911 swinging link, double-stack magazines, and the 9mm or .40 cartridge chamberings and is not available in .45.

Personally, I would go with a box-standard Mk. III or any of the older model (Mk. II or earlier FN production) 9mm Hi-Power. Some do prefer the .40 cartridge over the 9mm.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hello. Both the 1911 and the P35 were born in the mind of John M. Browning, but there are differences as mentioned by the gentleman above. While the 1911 is "pure Browning", the HP was finished after Browning's death by D. Saive, the designer of the FAL rifle.

I prefer the MkIII in 9mm to the forty.

Best.

B

·
0 Posts
I find the BHP fits well overall but the long narrow grip of the 1911 tends to center the gun better in terms of windage. I prefer a Mk III suitably customized with better sights, dehorn, trigger job and stippling.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have a newer BHP standard (blue) with fixed, dovetailed sights and an ambi safty.
I also have two Colt 1911's, a Govt. and a Commander. I love them both, as I also have smallish hands and they fit wonderfully (I also like Glock, but it's a little wide).

The biggest differences I've found are the grip angles, trigger pull (1911 is better), trigger reset (1911 is shorter), safety (the Colt "clicks," the BHP doesn't), and, of course, the recoil. I find all 9mms to be a little "snappy."

But they are both very reliable, and easy to shoot well. There are also plenty of aftermarket parts and gunsmiths for both.

If you can own only two autos, I suggest a 9mm BHP and a .45 Colt Government. JMB sure knew what he was doing.

[This message has been edited by ACP (edited 09-06-2001).]

·
Registered
441 Posts
I take that as a compliment of the highest degree from someone as knowledgable as yourself. Thank you!
ACP

·
Registered
83 Posts
ok i am a 1911 fan own 3, a wilson, a colt and a kimber, but have been giving serious consideration to a hp, give me a run down on where or if they are still made and how do they compare to the cz75 cooper called the best 9mm combat handgun.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hello. Yes, FN still makes the HP in 9mm caliber, but imported numbers (1000) per shipments are small and must be sold before another small shipment is imported.

Internally, the HP is more simple than is the CZ75, but the CZ remains a very nice, reliable and accurate pistol well worth the price being asked today. Today's guns are the "B" models with the internal firing pin safety and I find them slightly less attractive than the older Pre-B guns, but they do seem to work well.

Best.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Yep if I was limited to 2 guns they would be a 9mm HiPower and a 1911.
I have an SA Champion now I just need the HP.
I had one in .40 but did not care for the recoil impulse. THe 9mm HP's I have had the pleasure to shoot are a different story.
A truely outstanding firearm.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I fear this will be a rambling post. First things first, if I had the money I would buy a Browning High-Power (BHP). I would not buy a clone or licensed copy. I have experience with all three and the BHP is the way to go.

As to caliber I would also go with the 9mm as I am not sure the 40 S&W is a great improvement and the recoil of a 40 S&W is noticeable. I own a few 40 S&W pistols and if you have to go that route the BHP is the pick of the litter. It handles the recoil better than any of the other 40s I have shot.

I have spoke to Bill Laughridge on more than one occasion and this time he is wrong. The metal in a BHP is better than a FEG and the FEG is a clone not a licensed copy. As such all parts are not made to BHP specs and may need to be fitted. An example is a pair of Excalibur grips I purchased. They fit my BHPs like a glove but I had to remove wood on the inside to use them on my FEG.

If I had to go a route other than a BHP I would go with the Arcus as its metal is better than the FEG. I would avoid a FM as they aren't finished as well as a BHP.

Finally, I like CZ75 pistols, especially the Kadet 22 unit, but I prefer 1911A1s and BHPs. I bet you are glad this is over. Regards, Richard

1 - 15 of 15 Posts