1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I am trying to learn more about these guns and Google has been less than helpful.

Ive got an 86 Hi Power that was manufactured by FN. My question is the guy I got the gun from told me that the FN made guns were some of the tighter/better put together guns out there compared to the other manufacturers. Is this true or not? Anyone see any quality difference between different manufacturers?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

You likely need to edit the topic and rethink this.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Thank you for catching that. I just got off the phone with the pastor of our old church called Hi Point and had that on the brain I guess. Good catch!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
So I am trying to learn more about these guns and Google has been less than helpful.

Ive got an 86 Hi Power that was manufactured by FN. My question is the guy I got the gun from told me that the FN made guns were some of the tighter/better put together guns out there compared to the other manufacturers. Is this true or not? Anyone see any quality difference between different manufacturers?
Honestly I have seen great and not so greatly assembled guns from Browning and FN. They're all good, but some are exceptional. Clearly both operations have at least one guy who really knows how to fit a barrel.
Browning never made a single Hi Power/High Power. All Browning rollmarked guns were made by FN Herstal.

in general FN guns are better than the clones which copied them that does not mean every example that FN ever made was good. One has to remember even a monkey sometimes falls out of the tree sometimes.

Some years are better than others some vintage are better than others but in general a FN gun is a better bet than the clones and will certainly hold its value better than the clones.

Some of the FM and FEG guns were excellent. The Tisas has its fans. SA is certainly popular today even with a defective extractor.

if I could only only one it would be a gun made by FN.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I own several FN Brownings. In my opinion they are some of the best and a great baseline for custom work should you choose that path. Additionally, most of us eventually sell some of our guns. I was a 35 year FFL holder (not now) and I can tell you there are some gun owners that just do not want Turkish, Spanish, Japanese or Brazilian built guns. So if you want something that is good quality and re-sells well, think about an FN Browning. I think US built guns are also pretty good. I just received my Springfield and it seems like a good sound gun. Good Luck.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I owned a "Made in Belgium" Hi-Power back in the 70s. It was a beautiful pistol is every respect. I regretfully traded it on a Colt Python and lived to regret it.
Trying to replace that 70s HP I've owned two others; an "Assembled in Portugal" and a newer "FN". both were underwhelming, especially compared with the 70s pistol, and were soon traded.
I now have a Springfield SA-35 on order, which I hope will scratch my Hi-Power itch. From what I've seen and read the SA-35 sounds like what I've been looking for, with a few enhancements. Also, I believe Springfield has addressed the extractor issue.
Those with SA-35 pistols without the extractor issue have been singing their praises.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
...I now have a Springfield SA-35 on order, which I hope will scratch my Hi-Power itch. From what I've seen and read the SA-35 sounds like what I've been looking for, with a few enhancements. Also, I believe Springfield has addressed the extractor issue.
Those with SA-35 pistols without the extractor issue have been singing their praises.
With all due respect, read the thread on the SA35 ejection issues. i.e., it isn't fixed.

Reactions: TNorris

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I am assuming the "these guns are better" argument is basically just a conglomeration of a bunch of owners of multiple different ones saying the FN's just shoot better? Nothing concrete?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
BROWNING assembled and finished Hi Powers at their facility in Portugal; that's a Browning owned facility. Assembly includes the fitting of a barrel.

FN has their own guys for assembly.

So my statement is 100% correct.
Browning did not open the plant in Viana Portugal in the 70s. FN did. There maybe separate lines for assembly within the plant but Browning never owned an assembly plant.

It has always been FN. Sorry but your statement is far from 100% correct in fact is is almost 100% wrong.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
So I am assuming the "these guns are better" argument is basically just a conglomeration of a bunch of owners of multiple different ones saying the FN's just shoot better? Nothing concrete?
No I general the fit and finish of FN guns is superior. The quality of the parts is better. For example barrels from FN are superior to other clones and even aftermarket barrels. Sears are excellent.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Browning did not open the plant in Viana Portugal in the 70s. FN did. There maybe separate lines for assembly within the plant but Browning never owned an assembly plant.

It has always been FN. Sorry but your statement is far from 100% correct in fact is is almost 100% wrong.
From Browning's website

Made in Portugal (Assembled in Portugal)
Over the past 30 years, a large portion of Browning production has gradually shifted to the state-of-the-art Browning -Viana factory, an advanced facility located in Viana, Portugal. This factory relies on R&D support from our Belgium and Utah R&D design teams, in addition to its own onsite team. The list above shows current firearms that are made at the Viana factory. When reading barrel inscriptions, the terms Made in Portugal and Assembled in Portugal are synonymous.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
From Browning's website

Made in Portugal (Assembled in Portugal)
Over the past 30 years, a large portion of Browning production has gradually shifted to the state-of-the-art Browning -Viana factory, an advanced facility located in Viana, Portugal. This factory relies on R&D support from our Belgium and Utah R&D design teams, in addition to its own onsite team. The list above shows current firearms that are made at the Viana factory. When reading barrel inscriptions, the terms Made in Portugal and Assembled in Portugal are synonymous.

Who owns Browning? You are wrong simply admit it and let it go. Anyone who knows anything about BHPs knows your wrong. Every FN/Browning High Power/Hi Power was made in a FN owned plant under lic.

The only difference between a FN and Browning HP is the rollmark. Since the mid 70s pretty much all BHPs regardless of the rollmarks we’re assembled in Portugal.

Reactions: TNorris

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Whatever dude, this is apparently very important to you.

Perhaps you could show me an FN gun that is stamped Assembled in Portugal.
FN never marked them assembled in Portugal. The myth/urban legend is that Browning miss understood the import marking regulations in the 80s resulting in the made in Portugal mark.

Browning was the North American distributor for BHPs FN rollmarked guns in general were destined for other markets. Many have made it into the US as surplus. There was a small batch imported by FN in Fredericksburg,VA and then Columbia, SC.

It is important to me that incorrect info on the BHP on this forum is corrected so it does not get propagated causing confusion. I prefer the truth to misinformation. YMMV

1 - 20 of 46 Posts