1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Got a 1986 mark2. VERY accurate. When the hammer is cocked and the safety is put on all is good. When you drop the safety the hammer falls.... whoa! Think it's the sear but I don't know much. Took it to a local"gunsmith" who kept it for two months and did nothing. but that's a different story. I need a qualified repair job near Myrtle Beach S.C. or a diagnoses to try repair myself......mabey . Thanks to any who have an idea.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hello all,
Got a 1986 mark2. VERY accurate. When the hammer is cocked and the safety is put on all is good. When you drop the safety the hammer falls.... whoa! Think it's the sear but I don't know much. Took it to a local"gunsmith" who kept it for two months and did nothing. but that's a different story. I need a qualified repair job near Myrtle Beach S.C. or a diagnoses to try repair myself......mabey . Thanks to any who have an idea.
Sounds like time for a new hammer and sear!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Hello all,
Get a C&S hammer and sear set and install it yourself. You might also might need thumb safety depending on exactly what Bubba did to the gun trying to get a 3 lb trigger.

Reactions: Intercessor

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Say! great idea! Just send it off to BHSS to install the new sear and the SFS! ;-)
Or maybe a real custom shop like C&S or Novak. LOL

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Hey, it was just an option! ;-)
It is an option but if you can detail strip a BHP you can install BHSS drop in parts as well as they can. LOL

·
Registered
910 Posts
Another vote for Cylinder & Slide. They make many of the BHP aftermarket parts.

Alex at Tenring.com is good too, in Texas. He's very fast. He recently installed a new C&S no-bite hammer for me and fit a 357 Sig barrel.

·
Registered
999 Posts
- If you are going to do it yourself... if you are qualified:

I have heard that some amateur smiths will bend the sear spring to lighten the trigger pull. That seems like a pretty darned stupid thing to do. The first thing I would try is replacing the sear spring. It is fairly inexpensive and easy. Replacing it with a spare new sear spring (the new style from an SFS kit) should give you a proper trigger pull. If it is still less than 4.5#s, someone may have messed with the sear and hammer relationship. A new hammer and sear is probably in order. SFS replaces all of those parts. I like it. Rellascout does not!

You will need the part, some proper punches and a good trigger pull scale. Or a gunsmith who knows his or her way around a High Power.

- If you can't do it yourself, send it to someone who knows and specializes in High Powers. Your everyday gunsmith will not do.

For my money, BHSS does it right.
All of the other shops mentioned will also do it right.
They are all top notch.

If you choose BHSS, which is also a great place for parts and tools, tell Mark I said hi!

Cheers,

Tim

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Novaks in WV is another option for repair.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you for all the suggestions. When I drop the safety the gun doesnt discharge but goes into half cock so that is a relief .

1 - 20 of 25 Posts