1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have developed a strong interest in the Hi-Power but don't know much about it. Right now I am strongly considering buying one from CDNN and sending it somewhere to be chromed, adding night sights, and removing the magazine safety. I would like it to look something like this:

This would replace my GLOCK 17 as a home defense/car carry/occassional carry on person gun.

I have a few questions about the Hi Power:

Is it a reliable gun?
Is it small enough for concealed carry?
What other upgrades do you recommend?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yes, Maybe and none.

Asking if a Hi-Power (a real one) is reliable is like asking if the sun usually comes up in the east. Generally, yes they are reliable. Anything can be abused and fed bad ammo and made unreliable.

Your second question is entirely subjective and can be answered by searching a little. As I've gained weight I have a harder time hiding a medium or large handgun under a shirt. When it's warm I just put my S&W 360SC in my pocket.

Your last question is also entirely a matter of opinion. My HP is stock. I've had a couple that were tricked out. Other than the possible addition of night sights or a hard chromed frame I wouldn't change anything, but that's me.

It's a free country. It's cheaper to get what you want the first time instead of trying to go cheap and farting around with nickel and dime tweaks.

·
Registered
309 Posts
J_E_D nailed most everything I was going to say. About the only thing I'd add is that I've almost done what you're planning on doing. I bought mine from CDNN, and had the magazine disconnect removed, along with a ring/commander style hammer (actually a hammer & sear kit from Brownells). The trigger pull is much better from the magazine disconnect removal, and with the new hammer, my hand is no longer bloody after a day of hammer bite at the range.

I'm 6'4" and 270 lbs., and have no problem carrying mine concealed as long as I have a loose cover garment. A good IWB holster would help me in that area though--right now I use a High Noon Sky High pancake style holster.

Hope that helps,
Mike

·
Registered
754 Posts
Alex45acp . . . I suggest "when" you get it, you take it out and shoot it for a while before making any concrete decisions on what changes you want to make (exception being the mag disconnect "gotta go!"). Another consideration that most of us do is change out the stock grips with a good set of checkered grips.

There are some very good refinishers out there. I personally like Mac's shootin' irons. He does a great job and did a refinish on a custom HP of mine.

http://www.shootiniron.com/

·
Registered
754 Posts
Alex45ACP said:
^ That looks great. Are those the stock sights?
No, those are Heinie slant Pros, the rear sight is plain and the front is a "night sight"

Had those put on by Don Williams (great gunsmith) which required the frame be machined to accomodate the rear sight.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I read on another site that Hi Powers are extremely fragile and can't take +p loads, is that true? This site also said you can get a .40 HP and convert it to 9mm, which will solve that problem. What does a .40-9mm conversion entail?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Alex45ACP said:
This would replace my GLOCK 17 as a home defense/car carry/occassional carry on person gun.
I wouldn't do that, these are the jobs the Glock-tool is made for, unless you suddenly started hating the Glock and want to sell it

buy the HP and trick it out as you please and enjoy it on the range, leave the uglier jobs for the Glock ;) but offcourse if needed to, the HP is up for the job too

·
Registered
343 Posts
I don't know who said it, but...

...polymer is nice and all, but iron is an ELEMENT. I have owned several plastic (call it what you want, it's still plastic) handguns over the years, and I sold EACH of them for metal hardware. I am down to 1911s, Hipowers, Sigs, and Maks, not to mention revolvers. (ever notice there's not any polymer revovers out there?)
So, want to sell your Glock? Definitely. You'll likely keep the Hipower for the rest of your life. I know I will.
Best,
Steve.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
It also comes down to ease of use under stress. On the Glock you pull the trigger and it goes bang. On the BHP you have to do one more step, whether it be simply turning off the safety, cocking the hammer or if you are really afraid of it, rack a round. I love my BHPs, but there is a reason Glock has a large part of the law enforcement market. A lot of LEOs are not "gun people". The Glock is simple to operate and maintain. I'm the only Member in my station that carries a SA pistol off duty on a regular basis. Drives our range officer knuts :biglaugh: Everyone else that does carries a Glock in one form or another.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah the GLOCK is a nice gun, very low maintenance, but that's OK I can always just buy another one later on if I decide to. People are always buying and selling them.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I must be a real exception, because I'm part of the 'gun people' and I choose to carry my own Glock 19 as a duty piece, we are restricted to 9mm tough, but any privately ownend 9mm can be carried as a duty piece (has to be checked by master at arms first for safety, function, trigger pull)

there isn't a gun in the world to me that has the same ease of use, shot recovery and pure functionality as the 9mm Glock

1911's rule the range for me, Glock I love for both duty and rangework, the HP remains a very difficult gun: it's beautiful, reliable and fits the hand perfectly ... but to me, it's very hard to squeeze the accuracy out of a HP at 25m and further, even if the trigger is reasonably lightened, a third of my rounds always end up way left :bawling:

·
Registered
229 Posts
My stock HP has about a 6-7 lb trigger pull. Yeah, that sucks. It's also much easier for me to hit with than my Steyr M9.
That doesn't pass the common sense test but it's a fact.
I've owned other examples of Teutonic Tupperware and keep coming back to the HP.

Back in the early 90s I had a HP MKIII fitted with a Bar-Sto barrel. It went from being a 2.5"@25yd pistol to a 1.1"@25yd pistol. It was a pleasure to shoot. It was the first centerfire handgun that I could shoot more accurately than a roogler MKII.
I don't know what it is about a HP with a good barrel and decent trigger but it fits me right, feels right and easier for me to hit with than any other pistol.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I bought a Hi Power from CDNN and I can tell you that it has been 100% reliable since day one. The only changes I made, was to disconnect the magazine safety, and replace the grips with the ones sold by CDNN. Buy one, you will not be disapointed. After shooting it for awhile you can then decide what changes you want to make, if any.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts