1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a dedicated, long-time 1911 fan, I've always admired the Hi-power and am currently planning on getting one very soon.

Two questions:
1. Does Browning still produce the "practical"?

2. Is FN the "preferred" maker or does Browning still make the best new H-Power?

Thanks,
SkunkApe

·
Banned
976 Posts
yes the practical is still offered. and FN makes the hi power for themselve's, and browning. its just a different name on the side of the pistol, mechanically the same gun.:cool:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Yep, Lefty said it.

The Practical is still offered, and both Browning guns and FN guns are identical -- they're made in the same factory side by side. Browning used to be the one who imported it to the U.S. Now both Browning and FN are importing them, but I've heard rumors that Browning will no longer be importing them -- only FN will.

Cheers,
Wes

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
The Browning HPs are being assembled in Portugal, while the FN HPs are being assembled in Belgium. I got that info from a FN Rep.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Dwolf00 said:
The Browning HPs are being assembled in Portugal, while the FN HPs are being assembled in Belgium. I got that info from a FN Rep.
I don't think so, it is my belief that in the past 10 years there hasn't been a single HP that was assembled here in Belgium

the current FN guns only say Made in Belgium on the right side of the slide, but that doesn't mean it's not assembled in Portugal any longer (it's more a commercial move, some people don't like words like assembled in Portugal on their gun you know ;) )

·
Registered
308 Posts
So what's the story on browning not importing them anymore? I still see the brownings, but I heard from a FN Rep that only FN would be importing them from now on.

·
Registered
440 Posts
FedDC said:
So what's the story on browning not importing them anymore? I still see the brownings, but I heard from a FN Rep that only FN would be importing them from now on.
One theory is Browning only wants to be associated with sporting arms and not "weapons."

ed

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thats too bad. FN only seems to be making one model of the classic Hi Power while browning had several. I am looking at getting a Practical which may be difficult if I wait much longer and FN doesn't start making that model. What do you think of the FN Model that they are currently importing?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I think it has more to do with FN owning Browning now as well as Winchester. I think they want each company to deal with its own products more then anything else. Browning no longer sells the re-issue Winchester's, Winchester does. It could also follow that they don't sell FN's guns, FN appears to be doing that directly now that they are actively in the US. They appear to be the more Law Enforcement/Handgun division whereas Winchester and Browning are more long gun/hunting oriented. I suppose it could have some liability befits limiting supposed issues with handguns to one division...

later,
AJ

·
Registered
440 Posts
Browning no longer importing HP's

It might also be a matter of Belgian pride. It has long been argued just how much of the Hi Power came from John Brownning and how much was from D. Saive. Maybe FN feels that now is a good time to remove Brownings name.... who knows, in a few years they might be marketing the "Saive High Power."

Cheers,

Ed

·
Registered
511 Posts
Is the Practical still coming with that goony, obsolete ring hammer? That thing sticks way to far back.

I would buy one, if they would put the spur hammer on it.

Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts