1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend has been encouraging me to consider a Hi-Power rather than a 1911. I have looked at Browning Hi-Powers, nice hand fit, finish work, etc. My question concerns hammer bit. I have experience hammer bit using mil-spec 1911s and found it a less than pleasant experience.

Are Hi-Powers likely to give one hammer bit?

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Hammer bite used to drive me crazy with Hi-Powers. Cylinder & Slide sell two hammers that will eliminate this.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
In general the spur hammer doesn't bite like the ring hammer. I have two guns with spur hammers and have no trouble with them. The ring hammer on my Practical just kisses my hand - after about 200 rounds I start to develop a red spot.

YMMV depending on the size of your hands and how you hold the gun.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
My FEG ring hammer bites me good, but my Inglis ring hammer donsnt even touch me... It seems like the Inglis has a higher positioned ring.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Spur hammer on my standard, with nary a bite. I love my 1911's, but if I had to start with one or the other I would choose the BHP and get it a trigger job. And put the extra $ in ammo. I have a couple of 1911's that did not need work to run dependably but that's not been my usual experience. A BHP that does not run reliably out of the box will be unusual.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I put a set of Hogue grips on my High Power. Boy, what a world of differencce. I really like to shoot it, those grips just fit my hand. I put them on my K-22 wheel gun and my P239 also. Thought about putting them on the Kimber 1911, but I like the "bite" from the checkered stocks when I shoot it. It reminds me that I have a really great gun in my hand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts