1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a new Hi Power in .40 S&W that I have fired about 200 rounds from so far.
The recoil spring is way too heavy. Who offers a lighter recoil spring?
The reason I am thinking about replacing the recoil spring is because it's a bit hard to pull the slide rearwards even with the hammer at the full cock position.
Thanks.

Cat

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,296 Posts
"Too hard" is based on how hard it is to retract the slide, rather than functional issues associated with the gun? That is, the gun runs? How about cocking the hammer before racking the slide? I think there may be a reason why FN chose that particular spring rate.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Part of the joy inherent to the .40 Hi-Power is the recoil spring-the reality is, is that the .40 gun needs the 20lb. spring to properly function, and balance out the heavier .40 slide. Therefor, regarding springing, there is no free lunch-it is what it is, and any springs obtained from Browning/FN and/or Wolff for a .40 Hi-Power are going to be...20lb springs.

There are some tricks: Before manually operating the slide, simply cock the hammer first, as Rick B recommended above. That'll significantly decrease the effort needed. When reassembling, you'll find that there's a way to grasp, hold, and insert the spring and recoil guide without resorting to massive expenditure of expletives and a bent spring. If it becomes too much of a issue, I believe that Cylinder and Slide has a tool that will make the re-insertion process easier-see www.cylinder-slide.com. Basically, I firmly grasp the spring and guide together with my right thumb and forefinger, with the slide's muzzle pointing to the right, and wrestle the sucker in one fell swoop. Make SURE that the recoil spring guide is inserted properly-there is a right side and a wrong side up-check your manual's picture for this.

The trade-off is that the .40 Hi-Power is a superb gun, balancing beautifully and providing a heavier-hitting cartridge-and the gun was specifically re-designed to take into account the vicissitudes (and advantages) of the .40 cartridge. You've got a accurate, reliable, and superbly ergonomic modern classic-and one that will, to quote Massad Ayoob on his review of the .40 Hi-Power, stand the gaff of the higher pressure cartridge under much shooting.

Best, Jon

·
Registered
545 Posts
Therefor, regarding springing, there is no free lunch-it is what it is, and any springs obtained from Browning/FN and/or Wolff for a .40 Hi-Power are going to be...20lb springs.
Interesting your thoughts....but not quite true.

Wolff offers a 18.5lb spring that is used for 2 different calibers.
It is used in the 9mm to increase pressure from the standard 17lb spring for shooting hotter loads.

The same spring is used in .40cal Hi Powers to reduce the power of the standard 20lb spring.

The Wolff Part number for this spring is: 40718

I just installed one in my 9mm Hi Power in order to shoot +P and +P+ for defense.

Attachments

·
Registered
589 Posts
P-51, you got Jon on a minor point. Jon is absolutely correct about the no free lunch. If you install the 18.5lb spring, your pistol will pay for it when the slide hits the frame with more velocity.

If the only concern were racking the slide, we could install the factory 9mm spring that's even lighter yet, assuming it fits. There's more to it than that.

Jon, "vicissitudes" . . . I had to look in the dictionary for that one . . .

Hank

·
Registered
545 Posts
I am sure that If I had posted what Jon did, someone (like you) would have brought it to my attention, just as I did to him.:(

It makes no difference why the guy wants a lighter spring. Just the fact that there is one available is all that he wanted. No reasons why good or bad. Just the facts.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I have a new Hi Power in 40 S&W.
The recoil spring is way too heavy. Who offers a lighter recoil spring?
The reason I am thinking about replacing the recoil spring is because it's a bit hard to pull the slide rearwards manually.
Thanks
I noticed that you said that it is new. Have you fired it yet?
If not, break it in first. It will still be heavy but smooth out.

BTW, congrats they are a great shooter!

·
Registered
804 Posts
P-51, you're technically correct regarding the 18.5 lb spring as an alternative for the 20 lb one. However, elsewhere on their site, Wolff specifically recommends against using lighter than factory strength springs with full-power ammunition, as damage to the gun can ensue. If the original poster (or others) do choose to go with the 18.5 lb spring, they should probably concurrently only be using more lightly loaded (i.e., probably handloaded) ammunition. Frankly, that pretty much negates most of the reasons for choosing the .40 Hi-Power over a 9mm Hi-Power, at least IMHO...(but you were quite right to chastize me for being so dogmatic about Wolff's offerings in the first place-I was wrong!)

Best, Jon

·
Registered
589 Posts
It makes no difference why the guy wants a lighter spring. Just the fact that there is one available is all that he wanted. No reasons why good or bad. Just the facts.:biglaugh:
P-51, you make a point there. I was telling him why he doesn't want to do what he asked about, but not answering the question. Good deal.

Hank

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replys....

The Browning is new to me(6 months). I didn't realize that the frame could be damaged by replacing the 20lb spring for a lighter one. I purchased the Browning because I liked the feel of it & wanted a .40 Cal. for defense & a carry gun.
I had tried the Glock but hated the trigger. Also tried the Ruger but found the grip to big & uncomfortable. I have always liked the Colt 1911 but they didn't make it in the .40 so when I dropped by my favirote toy store they had a new Browning Hi-power, 40 S&W.
How it managed to follow me home is still a mystery.
So far I've put about 200 rounds thru it, mostly cast reloads & it's a joy to shoot. Accurate too.
Sooooo.......with all the input received so far I will leave well enough alone & keep the 20lb recoil spring.

My wife(she's quite small) can't operate the Hi-power becase of the heavy spring but does quite nicely with the old Colt Govt. .45ACP.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts