1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just acquired a BHP built in 1981 according to serial #. It is in beautiful condition and I love it. The thumb safety is extremely tight and hard to move. I lubed it good and it loosened up a bit, but still real stiff. Do they make an extended safety release ? Also where is a good place to buy replacement springs, etc. for it. Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
isn't it the magazine interlock that makes the safety so hard to move? I'm pretty sure that's one of the reasons a lot of people remove that device.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Just acquired a BHP built in 1981 according to serial #. It is in beautiful condition and I love it. The thumb safety is extremely tight and hard to move. I lubed it good and it loosened up a bit, but still real stiff. Do they make an extended safety release ? Also where is a good place to buy replacement springs, etc. for it. Thanks in advance
Brownells stocks a variety of Wolff springs and kits. I usually go with them because my C&R license qualifies me for a dealer discount and their service is very good. They may also have an extended slide release. Cylinder and Slide shows both ambi and left-side only models.

More knowledgeable folks than I will comment on what might be causing a "tight" safety. The one on my HP isn't particularly hard to move but it does show the typical lack of a positive on/off click like the 1911.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
isn't it the magazine interlock that makes the safety so hard to move? I'm pretty sure that's one of the reasons a lot of people remove that device.
Nope. The thumb safety doesn't at all interact with the mag disconnect. The mag disconnect is a horizontal plunger arrangement that presses against the front of the magazine through the upper well, tends to crap up the trigger pull but not the thumb safety.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Thumb Safety

Really sucks on older BHPs. No real "click" like on a 1911 and no grip safety. Have to get Yost or Fletcher to build up a new/larger one but then you have to decide it you trust your handling ability to carry cocked and locked.:confused:

·
Registered
398 Posts
Gents,

Hi-Powers are great guns and have stood the test of time. They are my "go to" 9mm's.

That said the early style safety left a lot to be desired and was hard to take off and even harder to re-engage. The solution is to replace the safety with one from Cylinder & Slide, Inc.

My custom C & S Hi-Power has their ambidextrious safety and it works well and has stood the test of time and use. I highly recommend them. Brownell's carries the single sided safety and the ambidextrious model.

Also, the new style factory ambidextrious safety is available and can be fitted to the older Hi-Powers. It's a good design and is on two of my factory MKIII Hi-Powers.

If you are interested in Hi-Powers and their history I recommend you visit Stephen Camp's "Hi-Powers and Handguns" web-site. Great crew there with a wealth of knowledge...they will help you out.

Enjoy your Hi-Powers gents. Here's a couple of pics of mine...

Silver-Chrome Hi-Power showing new style safety.

Cylinder & Slide Custom showing a C & S Safety.

Hope this helps.

Wes

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just need to change the safety, which is on the left side. it is so tight I cannot move it with my thumb. I will check with Brownells and see if I can find something. Thanks guys!!!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
From your description , it appears the safety needs a "little " file work.
go slow. if you are not comfortable with using the file - find a "smithy"

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
The safety doesn't need any file work it needs a lever vs. the tiny bump Browning put on the older models. Short of having someone fabricate you an extended safety lever on your safety, the Cylinder & Slide #CS153 is your best bet, but you'll have to buy it directly from them, as Brownells doesn't carry them. Best,

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
I have a 1981 BHP # 245PZxxxxx and it is still tight. Mine is all original and I think if you are really use to the 1911A1 with the large thumb safety you will feel uncomfortable with the BHP's safety.

It is small but I used it in combat competition so I am comfortable with it. If you have a mental block about it, have a professional gunsmith install a C&S extended safety.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts