1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in a hicap Kimber like the polymer
ten series and am looking for first hand experience
as to their reliability and performance.

Please only reply if you have or had a high capacity
Kimber.

Do they work or are they a POS ?

thanks,

P....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Some like them and some don't. Do some reading through a search.

Wes

·
Registered
724 Posts
ParishM, I have a BP 10 II and like it real well but I don`t know if I would carry it. 1911 shooters tend to be traditionalists. Single stack and no modifications unless it fits their needs. Better sights and a beavertail grip safety they like. Double stack mags, extended safetys and slide stops they don`t like. Polymer frames they really don`t like. Any kind of firing pin safety they hate. I wouldn`t think twice about CCW with a polymer frame Glock or alloy frame Sig or Smith but a 1911? That would be a single stack 5" barrel 38 ounce government model for CCW. By the way, I love to shoot 1911s but carry a Sig. Go figure. Bob

·
Registered
480 Posts
Also, the Series I's had a different frame than the newer ones. I've heard a lot of people did not like the original polymer frame...the trigger guard is really small. The new frames do "look" better...and Brownells sells a replacement mag release, that will allow the use of Para's high cap mags.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the Bul M5 better or worse than the newer TEN stuff as
far as reliability & functionality goes ?

I like the xtra capacity but I don't want a hunk of sh*t
that jams all the time.

this is the one I am looking at

P....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Is that the actual gun ? That's the very first generation of the Kimber/ Bul poly. I had the Bul branded version and I loved it, great shooter and 100% reliable. sadly, 1/2 of it got stolen....anyway, that's a series 1, and i would get it if the price is good ( like under $400), The Bul sold for about $550 and the identical kimber for, whatever reason, $750 new. The second gen Kimber/bul just had a rounded trigger guard. I have an Ultra 10 which was a pain in the beginning, kept FTFing, but has now settled down and is a favorite shooter. Bear in mind that a new kimber BP10 can be had for under $600. You might also want to check out these guys
my ultra 10

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have a second gen series I with the round trigger gaurd. One of my best shooters, rivaled by my 1991A1.

Personally, I like the feel of the BUL frame better than the series II's. Hell, I had a BUL commander on layaway for a little while but the money went towards something else. The only problem I had out of mine was that it would slide-lock early, and I've heard that same problem mentioned a few times. However, they were all fixed with a phone call to kimber and a new slidestop in the mail.

I tried to fix mine with a little filing and then it wouldnt slide lock half the time, so I swapped it out in favor of an extended (king's I think). No problems since.

In short, I like mine. Hell I'm carrying it now.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Is Charles Daly importing the BUL M5 yet?

One thing I noticed with the new Kimber polymer frame is that Para-Ordnance magazine are a very tight fit. I expect that you can get tme to work, but it will take some work on inside of the frame to get them to drop when you need to do a reload.

If I were planning on using Para mags, I'd definitely get the original polymer Kimber or a BUL.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Have a series 1 Gold Match.Tight super accurrate,grips small enough for a double stack that I can shoot it ( has replaced my STI for that reason).Use Para mags(modified).Bul5 frame rounded TG.Had a few teething pains not unlike other 1911s and nothing to do with the fact it was a poly gun. It will shoot with my all steel GM series 1 single stack also accurate.

·
Registered
222 Posts
the bad thing is you're limited as to the mags which can be used in the polymer gun.
You have the junk Kimber mags and you have para ordnance is they indeed fit(don't know about that)...

unlike your typical traditional 1911 framed gun which gives you the oprion of using the finest in mags...the Wilsons mag.

i'd stick with the standard framed 1911 and buy the extended mags if necessary.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Junk Kimber mags are single-stack. The two preban 14 round mags for mine funciotn 100%. The ten-rounders have given me a problem or two.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I can't say if this will help you any but here is my past dealings,I bought a NIB Bul M-5 which is not the same as the new Kimber.If I'm wrong one this sorry but here is the short story. Isreail Arms made all the polmyer frames and bought the slides from Chip Mccormick and that was the Bul M-5.They were made overseas and shipped here.Then Kimber worked a deal that they would buy a alotment of frames with the Kimber seal and put there slides on them(Mccormick) and sell them here,and Iserial Arms would buy there slides and not sell the Bul M-5 in the states.

That fell threw some time back and now Kimber has someone else making the frames.

The older Kimbers and the Bul's took the factory mags,but you could grind some of the meat out of the para mags and the worked fine.

I bought my Bul and it would out shoot my early series 1 Stainless Kimber! It was the most accurate 1911 I have ever had. Had a good friend buy 1 used and it shoot just as good.It was ugly not sexy like a single stack but it would shoot!

I never had any trouble out of it.none! But I shipped it,it got old after awhile.
None of this has anything to do with a new Kimber but if it like the Bul M-5 you can't go wrong!

Good luck.

·
Banned
597 Posts
Parrish, is that from the guy on FSN?

I used to sell these when they first came out, and we had nothing but unhappy customers. Never had complaint one about any of the steel or aluminum framed Kimbers however.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yes norm, it's the same guy that offered it to you.

i'm not a 1911 expert so i figured i'd ask around
first.

P....

·
Registered
6 Posts
ten series

I really like my BP Ten II. It is totally dependable. I've shot about 2000 rounds so far.I don't really know about the earlier polymer models though. I've heard they aren't as good as the newer ones;)

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have a friend who got a new one severl weeks ago.

He said it worked perfectly for the first 400-500 rounds and was very accurate but it recently became very inaccurate. It was shooting shotgun pattern instead of group. It was sent back to factory 2 weeks ago and it has not returned yet.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts