1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently purchased the Staccato P Duo with RMR and love it. But it is a bit large to carry for extended period of time.

I am thinking of Kimber Micro, WC X9S, or Dan Wesson ECO.

Anyone who has owned these guns can share their experience? Important for me is the ability to take it to range and put 300 - 400 rounds through it without killing my hand.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
At least one of those is not a 1911. Two and arguably three are not high end.
Small, lightweight guns are snappy, it's simple physics.

Have you tried different holsters for the P Duo?

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Similar to Autonomous' input -- +1911 -- I think you would help yourself by a sharper focus on what you're seeking. 1911 or other; high-end (WC), mid-range (DW), or "popularly priced" (Kimber). Any time there is such a wide disparity among candidate guns, and if it cannot be more sharply defined, I'd recommend choosing the best gun; and that's usually the higher priced gun.

Nothing wrong with any of these categories, but when making a selection, it's usually helpful to have very concrete parameters in mind; identify candidates within those parameters, and then get down to a nitty-gritty detailed level comparison.

If choosing top tier, then there are many options to consider, including the best sights (although you might be committed to a RMR, which is fine) for your purposes. If you're spending top tier dollars, then you owe it to yourself to get a gun that's closely customized to your needs and preferences. That's one of the purposes of going top tier.

----

Edit: As to experiences with the WC gun you've mentioned, see this concurrent thread: https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=1015492

But with no grip safety and other differences, this gun is decidedly not a 1911. But that aside, it is surely a good gun.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have an ECO in 9mm. My current carry pistol. Built super tight. It is amazing the accuracy that little thing produces. Be aware that DW pistols have tight chambers that can cause problems if you shoot reloads. They also require a little breakin to run well. But otherwise, it's a crackin little 1911.

I also bought a Kimber Micro 9 for times when the ECO's a bit too large. It did take a trip back to Kimber to have the extractor tension increased a bit so it would extract properly. But after that trip, it's been wonderful. I am constantly amazed that this little pistol packs 7+1 capacity of 9mm. It's like someone took a 7 round, 9mm mag, and built a mini 1911 around it. I have been very pleased with it.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
We really like our ECO.

Kimber should not be used in the same sentence with high end or even mid-range.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
A bit off the OPs proposed choices (Watsons Law) but I bought a Sig P239 in 40 a ways back. I had packed a Detonics Combat Master 45 long ago. The P239 is a much more comfortable gun to pack in terms of weight and shape. It's thinner profile and lighter weight make it a pleasure to pack. 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
^^^^^^^ You're bad mouthing what is probably the best selling mid to lower priced 1911s made !! I suppose you had a bad experience but most of the people that have purchased a Kimber have been very happy. Actually, Kimber makes as nice a 1911 as is needed by the majority of people that shoot. I have 4 Kimber's They all are as good as I am. I also have a Dan Wesson and it is a very nice firearm, love it. I will be the first to tell you that I would buy a Wilson in a heartbeat If I felt like I could afford one. I'm afraid the fact is I'm as good with my Kimber's as I would be with a Wilson which probably is better than most.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
People do have mixed experiences with different manufacturers.

And first-hand experience is difficult to erase, no matter the price of the gun, no matter others' experiences.

Probably safe to say that most 1911s built by any manufacturer on this Forum run just fine.

So that will generally be the majority experience.

But then there are the other ....

I pay more attention to these other when the negative experience is shared by someone who typically makes positive statements, shares positive experiences, etc. Such is the case with FM. He doesn't make negative comments about a gun/builder without having had a significant negative experience. And he's purchased a lot of 1911s.

Still, most Kimber buyers are happy with their acquisitions. Many are repeat customers. But on a price spectrum, viewed in that manner and considering fabrication/material of parts (e.g., plastic MSH), few would call Kimber a top tier builder. Popularly priced, yes; good value for the cost yes, usually. But not top tier.

·
Banned
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

The holster I have coming to me is from Southern Trapper. IWB leather model with a flip buckle.

Here is the link to it. I really need comfortable holster/gun to carry all day.

https://www.thesoutherntrapper.com/pages/custom-search?manufacturer=STI&model=Staccato__P__DUO__(4.4")__Tactical

Uncle Sam is the model I have on order. I prefer the leather clip vs, the metal clip. Not sure why, but I think they may have discontinued it. But this feels like the most comfortable holster I can find.

These guys also make some incredible custom holsters and belts out of crocadile.

Anyway, My P Duo is a tactical model with Trijicon RMR. So even if I get a smaller one like Wilson Combat X9S, I would put a Red Dot on it since now I am used to Red Dots.

·
Banned
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I also looked at Chambers Custom, Fusion Fire Arms, Atlas, Hayes Custom, Luego (Alien Gun), and CZ Custom shop. Maybe there are few more out there, but many of these guys don't make compact sizes I am looking for. STI/C2 Duo is just as good as any of these super high-end custom guns IMO. They just take the STI guns and polish the hell out of it (inside and out) and put their name on it. Few of them make their own gun molds and build it from the ground up.

If you have names of some better high-end custom guns, please do share them. I will go check them out.

Thank you.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Kimber Micro: Unreliable, couldn't get it to run, bad customer service. Avoid.

Dan Wesson ECO: My 9mm didn't work. Tuning didn't help. Others have had much better experiences and I am not willing to put money into it.

Wilson X9S: I have no experience with this gun.

If I were to get a small 1911, I would get either the Nighthawk Counselor or a Nighthawk Bull Officer.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Bear has a compact [commander barrel, officer frame] that is all steel. A little under 3 grand. Sig has some compacts that are worth a look. Wilson is a good choice, out of my comfort range but nice. By the way, I never said Kimber was a top tier gun. I would bet American money that if blindfolded and handed 3 1911s, a D.W., a Wilson, and a Kimber, most folks wouldn't be able to tell which was which. There would probably be about 1/2 an inch difference in group size at 25 yards, or at least there should be. Of course the Wilson is the better gun followed by the D.W. and then the Kimber and that is reflected in their price.

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
I am thinking of Kimber Micro, WC X9S, or Dan Wesson ECO.
Umm, only one of those is "high-end". You might also consider Baer, Nighthawk, and ACW.

·
Registered
21,669 Posts
A lot of the guns mentioned are not enough smaller than the Staccato P (4.4" barrel 33 oz dry) to be more portable. The ones that are, are not anything I would care to shoot 300 at a time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts