1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I have heard a ton of great things about this forum. So, I turn to you for some help...

I am looking to get a nice high end 1911. Its a LOT of money for me to spend so I want to make a well informed choice.

I have my eye on a Springfield Armory TRP PRO. I love Springfield, I like what the gun was designed for and I like their warranty.

I am wondering if there is anybody out there with some personal experience with any high end 1911s and if they would mind sharing their pros and cons on some brands.

I appreciate all the help you guys and gals give on here!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Seeing you mention "Warranty" makes me think of Wilson Combat. They stand behind their product and resolve issues quickly, assuming you ever have an issue.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I replied to you on Charles's about my CQB. Search in the Wilson sub-forum here for my user name and you should see some postings about mine.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
I don't have one

but the PRO would be an excellent choice. If you want a Springfield, get the Springfield. Among the Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Les Baer, Fusion, and Nighthawk offerings you would certainly find something you would be happy with that would be backed up by excellent customer service and warranties. I don't think you can go wrong as long as you order what you want up front. Every brand above has loyal customers, which speaks to the product and the customer service. Value is a whole other topic, some offer more than others I think.

·
Registered
951 Posts

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I have heard a ton of great things about this forum. So, I turn to you for some help...

I am looking to get a nice high end 1911. Its a LOT of money for me to spend so I want to make a well informed choice.

I have my eye on a Springfield Armory TRP PRO. I love Springfield, I like what the gun was designed for and I like their warranty.

I am wondering if there is anybody out there with some personal experience with any high end 1911s and if they would mind sharing their pros and cons on some brands.

I appreciate all the help you guys and gals give on here!

go with your instinct, get the PRO :)

not a 100% sure, but i think it's the only high end 1911 with a lifetime warranty--that counts for a lot.

fantastic gun too. it was the only one to pass all of the FBI's tests.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
SA1911,
High end 1911's are numerous & I think I have owned just about everyone of them at one time or the other. And over the years have narrowed them down. There are some I would not touch again (Cutomer Service, Warranty, ect). The three that stands out as far as I am concerned are: Les Baer, Ed Brown & SF. I'm not saying others are bad but these three are the only ones that I have not had issues with - and if issues came up they were handled properly for a pistol in this price point.

This is just MO which means nothing......

·
Premium Member
15,729 Posts
What is a 'TRP Pro'? I went to the SA site and they didn't show a TRP pro. I also checked the custom brochure and had no luck there either. They show three TRPs in the standard catalog and none in the custom.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the TRP is a 'dummied down' (yet nothing dumb about it) version of the TRP PRO. The PRO is the gun that SA designed for the FBI field tests and ultimately won.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
FUSION.

You get it your way with what you want on it. Customer service is top rate. Bob & Dale don't like unhappy customers. Tracy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have been leaning toward the TRP PRO model. I just got an e-mail back from Springfield and they said that it shoots 1.50 at 25yds and 3 at 50 yds. I know that Baer and Wilson and Brown can do 1.25 at 50yds. Should that really hinder my choice or should it not matter?

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
I have been leaning toward the TRP PRO model. I just got an e-mail back from Springfield and they said that it shoots 1.50 at 25yds and 3 at 50 yds. I know that Baer and Wilson and Brown can do 1.25 at 50yds. Should that really hinder my choice or should it not matter?

The Wilson website claims 2" accuracy at 50 yds. The standard Baer capability is 3" with a $300 option bringing it down to 1.50", also at 50 yds.
Can't find any claims from Brown, but assume it's pretty good.

The Pro's accuracy was specified by its primary customer (the gvmt), along with requirements for operational reliability which had to be proven by test.
All of the above competitors who competed for the gvmt award failed one or more of the elements of the qualification test.

If you shooting skills can take advantage of the claimed increased accuracy of Baer, Wilson, etc then they would be worth considering. The SA Pro's accuracy capability is coupled to a specific ammo, and a qvmt sponsored qualification test, so to look at accuracy claims alone is only part of the story.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to all who have helped out with this.

You all are a very informative bunch!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
OK, you're welcome for the opinions.

SO WHAT'S YOUR CHOICE?! :)

Tracy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well,
I have an XD as my poymer gun. I also have a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec 1911 fitted with Ed Brown parts to better fit me.

I love Springfield Guns and I love their warranties.

I think I am going to go with the TRP PRO.

It fits my needs and desires and has a warranty I can be comfortable with.

Now its a matter of getting Battle Axe 6 to let me spend the $$$

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
It wont happen if she reads your last response! :D Tracy

·
Registered
75 Posts
Unless there is a factory 1911 that is exactly what you want, I think you are almost always better off starting off with a quality base gun, Colt, Springfield, etc and having one of the top 1911 'smiths build it the way you want it.

Frankly, I'd never give a warranty on a second thought. It isn't like vehicle which can have a million and one things go wrong with it, guns are basically pretty simple and you do encounter a problem, they generally aren't too serious.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It wont happen if she reads your last response! :D Tracy

she knows I call her that. Its the Army call sign for the wife. Not meant to be degrading by any means.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts