1911Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were to buy a high end custom gun in $2.000 price range would you expect to see that the sear had been stoned and the sear leaf spring center spring to have the edge taken off of the center spring where it contacts the disconnector? Do they not do this work so it does not have a lighter than 4 pound trigger pull for liability issues. I had a couple of high end custom guns and had a lot of creep and looked at the sear and it was like it came right out of the bag and was never stoned and the same with the sear leaf springs. I took apart both 1911's and they were the same. Is this normal? I got the proper angles cut on the sear and took the edge off of the leaf spring. It made a huge difference as far as creep.
Thanks
X

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They both have great trigger jobs now! I noticed that Kimber did not touch the sear same as Springfield and Sig Sauer. It seems to be a common practice.
I have done the sear and sear spring work and cleaned up the grooves the trigger bow rides in and took an Arkansas stone to the Disconnector and they are all fine now with the pound trigger pull I want with no creep at all. If a person does not know how to do this work they would be shelling out a lot of money to have the trigger work done.

·
Premium Member
12,137 Posts
$2K will not buy a "high end custom" gun these days. It will get you a "production custom" from a few manufacturers. I do feel your pain though. For $2K, you shouldn't have to deburr a spring or stone a sear.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
$2K gun

If a person shells out $2K for a custom production gun, they should not have to shell out more money for a good trigger job. It would be better to start with a good quality gun like the STI Trojan for $1K, and see how you like it. Most folks are satisfied with the accuracy and trigger when they make the purchase. If they are not happy with anything on the gun, STI customer service is very good. Even if the gun is used, problems that develop from other than normal wear will usually be serviced by STI and often times for free. STI warranties the gun, and not the owner.

·
Banned
3,845 Posts
Well 2k is not a good price point... Have had the "top of the line" from Ed Brown come with a trigger like a garden sprayer. It was bought new out of state so I was out of luck. Got it taken care of now but buyer beware!

Point is always "snap" it before you actually hand the cash or check over but ASK first.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I have a couple of higher end pistols in my pile. At least higher end when it comes to that $2K price range. My DW Vbob came out of the box at 3.8 lbs and crisp as a dry corn flake.

The used, $800 Mk IV series 80 Combat Commander I bought probably had another $800 in work done to it. That qualifies it in my book. Guess what? Trigger is 3.8 lbs and crisp as a dry corn flake.

Both guns are tight, shoot well and fit my paw like a glove. While I like nice guns, I'm not laying out top end money for the recent semi-custom guns. Not when my Ruger SR1911 at $800 list offers most of the features and almost as good fit and finish as a $1500 Kimber.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess when I got them I thought they were great. I have learned a lot about doing my own work on 1911 safely. I recently took a Springfield Range Officer not a custom gun at all and did a full replacement of the ignition system and stoned the sear and hammer cleaned up all of the parts with a good Arkansas stones changed Beavertail and thumb safety, MSH and made the $800 gun into a very accurate crisp trigger job and love the 1911. After doing all of the work I started noticing that these $2K guns had creep in the trigger and other things that just did not feel right. If I never made the R.O. into a great inexpensive glass breaking trigger that shoots 2.5 inch groups at 25 yards I would of thought theses other guns were the nuts. But after seeing and feeling quality I knew that there were things that were wrong, I took the sear hammers out and saw that not a thing was done on them. They were quality parts so I had something to work with without the cost of all new parts. So through learning what a good trigger should feel like I learned that these other guns were in need of some love. Doing all of the work on the two 1911's at no cost just my labor I turned them into a trigger that breaks like glass and there is no creep. I adjusted the trigger pull so on the target gun I have a 3.2 pound trigger. The other is not a real target gun just a fun shooter that needs some FO sights down the road and I set the trigger to 4 pounds. So they did put in good parts except for the piece of **** hammer struts that I will replace and now they are good crisp shooting guns. It just amazes me that they did not do any trigger work. And if I did not shoot a gun that had a great trigger I would of still thought the two guns were great because of the name and reputation.

·
Premium Member
9,795 Posts
I have one of those custom guns - a custom production gun, or semi custom or whatever one wishes to refer to them. I got it used and it wasn't shot much. The trigger was excellent. Slide/frame fit was nice. It was also the worst barrel fit I have seen on any assembled pistol in this quality range and far less than I would have expected on a firearm of that stature. There was obviously nothing done to it at time of previous ownership save refinishing...we know how that company's bluing is. The producer of this firearm, one I held in highest esteem, wouldn't even look at an email picture, let alone warranty it. Yet he warranties a barrel in a gun with 100,000 rounds through it.

I am a stark amateur yet my barrels are fitted better than this one. I expected much more, far more that this. When my guns are built better than a custom builder...I think $2k should buy perfection in fit and function. Level of finish is consumerate with additional cost.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is a Les Baer a custom production gun??? Seeing they are built to order I thought they would be a ciustom gun. They are in the $2K range. If they are production custom what is a brand name custom gun??
Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,795 Posts
Baer is in same custom catagory as Wilson, Brown, Nighthawk and so on. The high end customs are from the likes of the big name smiths posting here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.