1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Scott:
The same thing happened in Springfield.

While not apropos Colt pistols, here's some comment on markings on S&W M&P revolvers (Victory):

"Broberg's stamp continued to be used after his departure. His initials have been noted on S&W revolvers that were inspected as late as mid-November 1942."
-----Charles Pate, U.S. Handguns of WWII: The Secondary Pistols and Revolvers

I have in my collection an M&P .38/200 Lend-Lease revolver, New Zealand issue, SN V128xxx, W.B. accepted, shipped 26 Oct. 1942.
It's the bottom one.

JT

·
Registered
13 Posts
Colt with W.B. inspection

I would believe that a lot of shuffling was going on at the Colt plant in 42. My USGI 1911, SN 8505xx is "W.B." stamped and with the cross cannon stamp as well. This particular pistol has an "S" stamp overstamped with a "G" in the slide groove which leads me to believe that this pistol was transferred from commercial stock. It does, however, have all the correct military receiver and slide markings. They are interesting to say the least.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Comm/Mil

Scott,

Is it correct to say that there are fewer WB marked Com/Mil pistols than previously thought. I have a WB marked Com/Mil 860,3xx. I have another GHD 862,3xx. I hope this info is helpful.

·
Administrator
73,386 Posts
Michael,

Unfortunately to add pics as attachments they need to be under 100kb. You just need to edit them in PhotoShop and get the file size down.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Can't help you with high side but I have a low WB stamped one. 7525xx. Matching SN# frame and slide.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts