1911Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a rag called "Guns & Ammo Book of the 1911" and in it there is mention that HK is working on a 1911 and Larry Vickers is the consultant for the project. I guess they realized the SOCOM was too BIG. Can't wait to hear more. :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Is this mag in the bookstore right now?

I have an older magazine from a year or two ago that has a blue cover, and I think it has a Wilson KZ on the front as well. I think it was called "The complete guide to the 1911"...or something like that.

·
Registered
685 Posts
http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9862

This post from 2 years ago might answer your question some. In it (BTW I was fortyfiveshoote then) Larry ask about the ideal 1911 and if you go 2/3 way down the first page I put an answer in there that it sounded like a modified H&K USP would be what we were looking for. Larry sent me a Private Message that said I was real close to what he was working on. I replyoed back asking if this was with a company or a start up with his friends Hackathorn and Bill Wilson and never did get an answer.

If H&K is in the stages of developing a 1911/USP style .45 it only makes since. As with SIG I believe these are companies that have had great success in the Military and LE community, but these groups are now going to 1911 style .45s and they do not have a pistol to submit and are loosing contracts. And when you start to loose those then you also start to loose the civilian market because civilian buyers historically have followed what the Military and LE folks do.

Not to mention how popular the 1911 style is right now!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
One of my firends, a local gunsmith has on hand a HK 1911 match barrel with polygonal rifling. From what he understands, HK most likely did this as an experiment, with the intent that these barrels should be fitted to existing Colts and clones for evaluation. If anybody has more info my friend and I would like to know.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Sounds like it could be pretty cool, as long as it isn't plastic. I could even stand a linkless barrel and single locking block. All it needs to do to really succeed I think is use 1911 mags and have the superb ergonomics 1911's are known for. Sure it wouldn't be a real 1911, but only Colts are real 1911s :cool: so I'm hoping for something a little different.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The gun mag I'm citing is current. It should be on the shelves right now. From what the magazine said, it doesn't sound like this gun is a USP/1911 hybrid, it sounds like a 1911 along the lines of the SIG 1911. I'd love to hear more on this, if anybody knows anything.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I don't know why I feel compeled to post this. I just put on my fire proof suit, so, Flame away...

I think it's a line of hooey. But then again SIG made one, so what do I know? I'm just thinking, why would you want to make a 1911 after developing one of the best out of the box accurate combat guns?

Yeah, this is a 1911 fourm, and I own some accurate 1911's, but my H&K Tactical 45 is my all time favorite for best shooting, low maintenence, punishing reliability.

I like the fact that there is no grip safety and that the H&K can be fired DA or SA. The full size also holds 10 or more rounds without the mag hanging out the bottom of the gun which is a plus if you ask me.

There is no question the 1911 is a solid design, and most guns out there today have copied some aspect of it's design, but if you think something is perfect (and this applies to just about everything ever made) it's because you either lack imagination or you just don't get out enough. There is always room for improvement.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
The 1911 isn't perfect. But it's way up there, and there's such a dizzying array of aftermarket parts and such a dizzying array of extremely competent 1911 artisans, and they're so easy to find replacement parts for on short notice, that any changes to the design, such as trying to eliminate the grip safety or the barrel link, are tantamount to marketability suicide. See also: S&W 945.

I think I'm going to go start a new thread and go ahead and share my idea for a USP Tactical 1911, since the HK-teen eleven is fresh in everyone's mind.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Jhaake, the barrel I saw is very real. My friend has been in the 1911 parts buisness for 30 something years and has come across a number of interesting items.

Whether HK makes a complete 1911 in any quantity is yet to be seen. The practicality of doing so is a little mundane, since the market is so flooded with Colt clones. However, it might just work on a limited production basis: Just go to the SIGforum and see how many guys who have never cared for a 1911 are jumping on the bandwagon and pre ordering a gun they've never shot only because it's a SIG. The irony is that the gun is totally made up of parts from the well established 1911 aftermarket industry, as most of you are already aware of. H&K stands to make some money in the same fashion from their die hard fans.

By the way, I do like SIGs. I just think they would have been better off converting the P-210 to .45 ACP and .38 Super. Now there's one dandy gun that needs more marketing.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Jhaake, another BIG reason is that the grip for the USP .45 is BIG. It is a hog leg. Anyone with med-small hands don't like it so if they want a .45 they go 1911 or something else. Thats a lot of civis and officers not using the HK .45.

This could just mean a single stack USP though, we'll have to see. Either way, I'm interested...

BTW, where in the magazine does it talk about it? I just picked one up and have not found it yet.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
This could just mean a single stack USP though
I'm probably not alone in saying that I'd much sooner buy a slim, single-stack compact USP than buy an HK 1911.

(Actually, Glock or HK could corner the carry market with something like this, but they seem content to give Kahr their business.)

·
Registered
836 Posts
I would love a full size USP .45 with 8 or 9 round mags, single stack. A slimmer grip and slide, but basically a USP full size!! Please HK?

·
Registered
893 Posts
I was at Gunsitew in September, and was told by a well-informed instructor that both SIG and HK were working on 1911's.

As you have seen, SIG has indeed introduced its version, and I would not be surprised to see the HK model at the SHOT show.

I see it as testimony to the genius of the design.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
The contract they're all (SIG, Colt, Kimber etc.) fighting for specifies a 1911. From what I've heard, HK will release their gun (1911) if they get the contract, but probably not enough demand for it otherwise.

The HK finish is very good, so a gun would be great, but service is horrible, so dunno.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's interesting. Too bad HK might drop out if they lose the contract. I would be interested in seeing it. A helluva lot sooner than I would be to see any more P2000 variants.

·
Registered
298 Posts
matteblack said:
BTW, where in the magazine does it talk about it? I just picked one up and have not found it yet.
It mentions it in the custom 1911 section, in the pages on the Vickers custom. It also mentions the HK 1911 at least once more later on, though I can't remember exactly where.

As for my take on it, I am reserving judgement until I see one in person. Having the proper features is essential. Having an attractive gun is nice. But how the gun is assembled is always the determining factor in whether I'll buy one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts