1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range this weekend with a friend and his new HK SL8-1. Was just wondering if anybody had any experience with these. I was really impressed with this rifle. If you have not seen it, take a look at http://www.hecklerkoch-usa.com/

This was only the second trip to the range for this rifle, but it was impressive. This .223 is miles ahead of the AR, especially the optional 1.5X site. I just wanted to know if anybody here had one of them. I'm thinking of maybe picking one up sometime soon.

·
Registered
84 Posts
"miles ahead of the AR"??????????

Maybe in price, certainly NOT in potential accuracy, availability of accessories/parts, modularity or any performance related area.

I won't dismiss it's polymer construction is unique but the 10-shot-only magazine is an incredible detriment. Trigger pull is no where near a good AR trigger from Milazzo or Jewell, let alone a well tuned factory job.

Sorry man don't mean to flame but it is definetly a glass half empty.

Get yourself a good Armalite or Bushmaster and then you will see who is "miles ahead"

Best Regards

postban out

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have both a bushmaster and a Colt Hbar match target.

I'm not shooting at anything other than paper, so the the ten rounder doesn't bother me that much.

There are quite a few sigting systems and after market modification to buy for it so I don't quite get your point.

Not to mention there is something that can be said about 2000 design and construction methods vs 1950's - 60's construction and design. I'm not knocking the AR, hell I own two of them. It's just a different type of weapon

·
Registered
71 Posts
My own experiences with HK products have not been real good. I have had one USP that would de-cock itself and saw another that broke from being handled to much by customers in a gun shop. I have a G-3 issued to me right now that is not even suitable for a boat anchor!

I have had some good examples of HK's work also. But this has been the exception rather than the rule.

Overall HK started out building a high quality product but transitioned to building gimmick guns instead for a larger piece of the market pie. Quality control and customer service have suffered along the way.

The SL8 is a neat looking gun and may be better than I think but it just smacks of junk to me! You may want to consider the cost of replacement parts and magazines as well. All HK parts are expensive, unless they are surplus. But even then they can be quite pricey.

On the up-side, HK's have a loyal following and hold their value quite well!

The technology in an AR may be 50's or 60's vintage but look at the 1911! There is alot to be said for time tested designs!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't disagree with you for a minute. My point wasn't that the AR was outdated. I too love the 1911, otherwise I wouldn't be here. My point was that at the time, people discredited the design of the AR because it was "plastic" or cheap feeling. I'm sure more than a few people weren't impressed when the 1911 first came to market.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
It's a good gun, but if you like the 1.5x scope, I personally find the Steyr AUG to be a better rifle than the HK.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Postban is dead on. In case you haven't noticed, the military and LEO community are dumping HKs, paricularly the SMGs, for M4s. I don't think HK cares, they'd rather sell way overpriced gear to the more profitable civilian sector. They learned quickly that they can sell guns to yuppies who usually never fire them, and make a ton of money selling T shirts to wannabees.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Haven't fired one, but I handled one. My initial impression was that the thumbhole in the stock felt alittle uncomfortable to my hand in the thumb/wrist area. Could just be "me"; I really don't like thumbhole stocks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts