1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some may say these issues are petty but man do I find them annoying....

I purchased a brand new USP 9 Tactical and honestly the lack of attention given to this pistol is astonishing to me. The biggest issue being the rear sight. It has material missing and bare metal showing. Why is this a problem? For me, it is very distracting while obtaining a good sight picture and secondly it really looks like crap. I don't know how the tester missed this upon test firing.

The other issue is poor finish quality on the exterior of the slide. There are places where there is no finish at all. According to information that is floating around about the hostile environment finish this should not cause a corrosion issue but it shows a real lack of quality to me.

For what these pistols retail for one should not expect such poor finish quality in my opinion. I have e-mailed HK customer service and politely expressed my displeasure. Let me know what you guys think!

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
hmm, I had one, no issues at all with it. Only bad thing about the gun is i didn't prefer it over my Glocks or Sig.

Finish was immaculate and the rear sight was perfect as well.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm, I had one, no issues at all with it. Only bad thing about the gun is i didn't prefer it over my Glocks or Sig.

Finish was immaculate and the rear sight was perfect as well.
The one good thing I noticed about the pistol is the barrel lock up is very good and tight. I'm sure it's an accurate gun but the cosmetic issues are really bothering me. It would be totally different if it were a used gun but this is not the case. The test firing date was on a Monday. I'm not sure if the guy was hungover or what.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
That is not right and would not be acceptable to me. I had an Expert, purchased new, until recently. The finish, including that on the sights, was flawless....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It looks like someone tried (or succeeded poorly) to relamp the right sight...
It's always possible. It looks to me that these sight are coated before being drilled for the tritium inserts. I think it was a poor machining job done by the bit.

My second idea is I'm sure HK has these sights delivered in bulk instead of individual packaging. Sights most likely come in contact with each other during shipment which could result in this kind of damage.

Again, what kills me is that it got through inspection. 2 people gave this pistol the ok to leave the facility. The first was the person who installed the damaged sight and the second would be the person who test fired the gun. With all the great quality we hear about HK it just blows my mind that a pistol could leave with poor finish AND fudged up sights.

·
Registered
882 Posts
With all the great quality we hear about HK it just blows my mind that a pistol could leave with poor finish AND fudged up sights.
Still a mass produced gun and subject to errors/blemishes, etc.

Im guessing you bought it online?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still a mass produced gun and subject to errors/blemishes, etc.

Im guessing you bought it online?
Negative. Local dealer who is a friend of mine ordered it. Called and said it was in and I swooped in to pick it up on my way to see a family member in the hospital. I did not notice the damage until getting home late last night. If HK falls through he may be able to send it back to his distributor. We'll just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Ford, you mentioned sending HK customer service an email but I'd suggest giving them a call also to make sure they look out for your note. I've found HK customer service to be very good. I'd really appreciate if you could update us on the outcome.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
If this is indeed new & not used then H&K will take care of it. Call them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Update: I will say before I continue that this thread was NOT created to put down a manufacturer. I just feel like I should emphasize that. The manufacture of any product is not perfect at times and I know that as I'm sure most people do.

Anyhow, as it stands the distributor is going to take the firearm back and send a replacement. The only downside is they are not sure when another will come in but that's not a big concern for me.

Neither myself nor the distributor have heard back from H&K. I have not placed a phone call to them, however, the distributor didn't hesitate to help remedy the issue. It seems as if they are going to take the issue up with H&K themselves.

The distributor did mention that if I did not wish to wait for a replacement there could be a good possibility that H&K will send a replacement rear sight and offer some mags and other freebies for the trouble. I'm sure most would take this opportunity if given but that still does not remedy the poor finish quality of the slide. I'm not suggesting that this is an unreasonable offer but all I want is a nice pistol that fulfills my expectations.

It would be a different story I suppose if this guns end usage involved 3-gun competitions or training courses but it will not see that kind of use.

Again, I must stress that my intent is not to drag a company through the mud nor am I using this forum to shout out for attention. However, I do feel a responsibility to the gun community to let these mistakes be known in order to push for some improvement in the quality control department.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Lemons slip through QC at any company. That's just a simple fact. The mark of a good company is how fast & well they rectify the situation. I think they will do good by you. ;)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
FWIW I agree the rear sight looks like the lamp was installed/reinstalled incorrectly. Kind of looks like holster wear on the slide, wonder if you got a demo by accident.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Yes, those issues are unacceptable. Especially on a gun this expensive. Further, I would not have accepted it. It matters not that you were in a hurry, those are obvious and you should have refused it right off. Even more, the FFL should have seen that on incoming inspection and notified you when you showed up.

Nevertheless, call H&K. I've never had to call them as my USP has been flawless. Still, I hear good things about them. What do you have to lose?

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Yep, that would go back to the dealer, or to HK. That would be disappointing on a $400 gun (especially the sight). No excuse for HK to ship a firearm like that and if it left the factory that way, it's disappointing. I have a USP and it was perfect (it was purchased from a LGS). As much as I liked my 1911's and other handguns (before they all were tragically lost in a white water kayaking accident) if I could have only kept one handgun, it would probably have been my USP, stock trigger and all. So very disappointing for me to see that as well ... assuming again, that it actually left the factory that way.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Called H&K

I called H&K:

I spoke with a representative over the phone and made him aware of the e-mail and of the issues. Since the gun is in my dealer's hands he informed me that we should order another pistol and send the current one back to the distributor. That was the plan anyhow.

I'm not sure what I was expecting since I have never made a call to H&K before but I didn't get a good vibe from him. The gentlemen acted like he really didn't care. So take it for what it is I guess. I know that if it was my company or I was employed by a company who allowed a poor quality product to go out the door that I would be more than happy to remedy the issue. He was not inquisitive about the issue nor did he care to hear the distributor's name when I gave him that information or anything.

At this point, all that matters to me is that the distributor gets an acceptable firearm to me. Thus far, they are the ones who have stepped up to the plate. This makes the second H&K pistol I have ordered this year. I'm not going to say that I will never purchase another H&K pistol but I have learned now that it isn't worth my time to call them.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Not trying to be victim blaming but it does show the importance of thoroughly inspecting any item, not just firearms, before accepting delivery.

I see a lot of complaints on various forums about poor finish quality of all kinds of guns.. Take the time to be diligent and you will a least limit yourself to operational issues and not cosmetic ones.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts