1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read some of the old posts, but I would like to get some more opinions on the HK USP 45. I would like to buy one as an addition to my collection. Any thoughts on quality, accuracy, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

WJR

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I don't have a USP45 but I DO have a USP40.

GREAT gun. Accurate as heck, extremely reliable. Some things you might not like about the USP is the fat grip. Some people like it and some don't, it's really an individual preference. Also, a 1911 shooter who rests his/her thumb over the safety may find themselves depressing the safety on the USP putting it into decock, or at least pressing it down hard enough where the trigger won't move. I also prefer a heavier gun since I don't carry it for duty or CCW, so I find it bucks a little more than the heavy guns like the Beretta.

What do you plan to use it for? Or just for the heck of it?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have the USP 45f, It is very accurate, Very reliable. It eats up all types of ammo, SWC, FMJ,HP even +P+. The mags are not cheap about 50 bucks each. You get two from HK. One with the finger grove and one flat base. If you can, get the ambi. safety, it eliminates the accidental decock as the safety lever is stopped from going to decock by the right finger knuckle, trust me on this. I hope you have Large hands because it is in fact a large pistol. It fits my hands perfectly even with Hogue handall grips on. My friends with small hands are the ones that complain about its size. You'll have to try one before you buy to be sure. I love mine. It has never failed to go bang. It has gone through 9000 rounds without any failures...Let us know what you decide.... T.Labren

·
Registered
69 Posts
just don't get the USP DAO!!!!

I fired my buddies USP 40 DA Only. The trigger pull will flat out put you to sleep! like startpulling and go for coffee , sorta long!

lol

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'll add my praise for the HK too. I have 3 of them and they are all excellent. I don't have much to add, so I'll just re-cap.

The USP has a big grip, try one out before you buy one, mags and parts are not cheap, and sometimes hard to locate. HK customer service supposedly can be iffy. And I agree, the double action trigger usually isn't too good.. if you want the DAO option, replace the standard trigger with the factory "Match" trigger, or get a trigger job by a competent gunsmith, familiar with HK. On the plus side, HK's are very accurate, and super reliable. They are very strong and stand up to serious abuse. Also, if you have a problem with decocking when you depress the thumb safety, you can buy the varient 9 detent plate, and install it. That eliminates the decock function, it's super easy to change out and it'll give a single action only, with no option to decock. The bore axis is higher than a 1911, but that doesn't seem to bother me much. HK's are easy to clean and field strip. Overall, a very worthwhile pistol. Good luck with whatever you decide.

mavrick

·
Registered
259 Posts
Great pistols overall. Triggers suck in comparison to a tuned 1911 and the grip is too fat for my taste. Most reliable pistol I've ever seen.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I would suggest looking at the Compact 45. For the size/power ration it makes more sense to me than the full size with a 10 round magazine.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the replies. I used to have a G21 which I liked fine except for the fact that I like an external safety as is found on 1911's. Therefore, I became interested in the HK. The main reason for a "plastic" gun over another 1911 is that I have a tendency to baby my 1911's more than I would a "plastic" gun. One more question. I am left-handed, should I get an ambi-safety or just Variant # 2?

WJR

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have an HK USPc. It has some good points and some bad points. Good points:

- Reliable
- Reasonably accurate.
- Can carry cocked and locked.
- Safety works in the direction that G*d and John Browning intended.
- Soft felt recoil.
But it has a number of drawbacks as well:

- High bore axis and light weight give it lots of muzzle climb.
- The SA trigger is only ok. The DA trigger is completely horrendous -- you'll need both hands and come-along.
- The safety is not as positive as a 1911 safety and if you push too far, you decock.
- Take a look at that big honkin slide. Put it up next to a 1911 and you'll see how egregiously wide and tall that slide is. Why in the world does it need that big a hunk of metal? Why does it have to be so bloody thick? Oddly enough, the .40 caliber USPc has a slide that is just as big.
- Sights are poor -- the rear notch is too small.
- I can't reach the magazine release with my thumb, would have to use my index finger.
- It has a relatively large grip circumference, making it just a bit too far for me to comfortably reach the trigger. And I don't have small hands.
- Lots of sharp corners and edges on the magazine feed lips to cut up your fingers while loading a magazine.

My USPc sits in the safe. My Kimber Compact rides on my hip.

M1911

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Just buy one. You won't regret!

·
Registered
989 Posts
I have a usp -40 and a usp-45 . They have been 100 percent perfect, no break-in no problems. They go bang evey time. So does my sig p-220 and 245 for that matter , and my glock 21 and 36 have all been 100 percent reliable. It is good to be alive when things just don't get any better . Guns are either at their point of perfection or will be there shortly. It's a good time to pick a pistol.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I owned a USP 45 for a short time. My only gripe was that it shot extremely low, like 6" at 25 yards. Rather than send it back or monkey with the sights, I sold it. Later, a friend of mine bought a new one, and his also shot low. He sent his in for a higher rear sight, and now really likes it.

The USP is very well made and one of the softest shooting 45's I have ever fired, but personally, I prefer the SIG 220.

·
Registered
251 Posts
USP 45

I've got a standard USP 45 & an Expert 45. Both purchased this year. I will top 7000 rounds total through both. 100% reliable, scary accurate, and very well made! You really can't go wrong buying HK ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a Tactical .45 and whilst it is a very well made pistol and shoots very well, I find it's got way too much muzzle flip for me to shoot fast and the DA pull is way too long and stacks up too much for me. The SA trigger is great if you carry cocked & locked.

A well made pistol that suits other better than me.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I had a USP 40 and traded it for a Springfield Champion, unfortunately I miss it more then I shoot the Springfield. I have begun looking at the USP's mostly the 45 Tactical. My 40 was flawless with not a single malfunction even with handloads. It's not a 1911 of course just a different animal. As others have said the triggers aren't great if your used to a good 1911 but I don't think there as horrible as some other semi auto's I've used. I don't think you'll regret it if you buy one
Regards SonnyD

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
usp 45 tactical

DA trigger is a bear, SA is only poor when compared to a good 1911. Against an S&W or something it is a good SA trigger. First three shots out of my barrel clover leafed out @ 15 yards. I'm still impressed with it. Accuracy and reliability are not issues! And with the adjustable sights, it shoots whereever you want it to. I recommend the adjustables--you're not gonna carry that big mo-fo anyway

1 - 18 of 18 Posts