1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My older son is visiting with his new toy, HK45. Both of my sons, daughter in law, and I went to a range to try it. I also took my Colt XSE customized by Bob Miller. My son is quite proficient with the HK45, and I also was able to shoot it fairly accurately at 25 yards off-hand, slow-fire, hitting 3" sticky targets consistently. Grip of HK45 is said to be slimmer than the previous gen USP45, but is still no match for the comfort of the Colt, especially in trigger reach. I have medium-size hands and some arthritis, and DA trigger reach was on the borderline of what I could reach comfortably. No problem with SA pull, which was below 5 lbs and fairly crisp (still no match to the Colt). The DA pull is heavy-probably 10-12 lbs. Both of my sons and daughter in law have longer fingers than me and were very comfortable with the HK45. The HK45 is much taller than the Colt because of the fat magazine baseplate and a long grip, but shorter in the barrel dimension because of the lack of beavertail.
The HK45 shot 150 rds of 230-gr FMJ ammo without any hitches, and my son showed outstanding accuracy with it shooting at 50 yds prone, PPC style. Overall, this is an interesting combat pistol, which will probably be extremely reliable and holds 10 rds in high-quality mags. It is covered by HK lifetime warranty and costs $700-800 less than a semi-custom 1911. Admittedly, I have never held or shot a S&W MP45 or any other polymer gun in 45 ACP.
Some pics are attached for the Forum members.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
H&K warranty......LOL.....their CS to the public is a joke

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
6285108 said:
H&K warranty......LOL.....their CS to the public is a joke
I used their service recently and they went above and beyond and returned modified mags within 3 days turnaround, using Fedex on their dime. Don't know what you mean by their CS to the public, but they are first rate.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Maybe they've changed then, because they had earned an awful reputation in general for their poor service. My experiences with HK were such that I wrote a complaint letter about the lies and dawdling in obtaining my USP45 service pistol to their German HQ. We had deputies cancel their orders and complain to the state AG's consumer fraud folks, and until your report, I have never heard anything positive about their customer service from anyone. The pistol has been satisfactory, but pigs would fly before I would buy anything from HK again.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
A few years back I read a reveiw on the H&K's the US Special Forces use Navy Seals I think... The torture test they put that gun through was unreal. Sand ,dirt,water,heat you name it it did it flawlessly.. If i remember correctly. It was fired thousands of time with sand in it and uncleaned and never once jammed or misfired... Im not sure what model it was but it was a .45ACP. The milatary version had a threaded barreland silencer. The civilan one had no silencer.. The price tag was around 1400.00... I dont know which id pick. From the other posters HK sounds like there CS sucks. As much as Id like a HK Id probaly go with a Colt just because of the Good Name! And stay away from HK because of the bad post's on the CS.

·
Registered
72 Posts
HK's might be good guns but I see no reason to buy one - they're more concerned with government contracts than the private sector (i.e. us), and if that's the way they want to play it then I'll just take my business elsewhere. Other than the Tom Clancy Stamp of Approval they offer nothing that SIG, GLOCK, etc cannot offer. The HK416 has been bested by American manufacturers (LMT, LWRC, etc) even before it's released to the lowly civilians, and the G36 never made it to the US. Either way the Masada will be everything that both of those rifles are, and more.

HK panders to military/LE contracts and throw a few bones to their loyal fans every once in a while (wonder why they bother being so loyal to a manufacturer that views them as annoying pests because they constantly ask them about civilian UMPs, G36, HK416) - might as well buy from someone who appreciates civilian gun owners and gun rights.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, a lot of negative about H&K. I think they have turned their CS around lately. Just look here www.hkpro.com and www.hk-usa.com, you'll find a lot of positive comments about their CS. From personal experience, you can e-mail their CS and they reply the same day. Calling them gets you a rep right away and parts shipped the same day-that's a personal experience. Moreover, H&K is buidling a factory in the US, I hear.
That said, I am no spokesman for H&K, just posted a range report. Probably should not have.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Seems like they've really turned around. Good for them! I really do like the Hk45, and dare I say it just may be the best .45 they've ever offered. But with Larry Vickers behind it, why wouldn't it be?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the opportunity to shoot an HK 45 tactical last weekend. I am a dedicated 1911 fan but when I had the chance, I took it. It has a double stack mag so it also felt a little bigger in my hands, but I was able to compensate for that by using both hands. I shot 230 ball ammo in it and it seemed pretty accurate. I didn't compare my Gold Cup to it, but I might try that sometime. It had the threaded barrel, but didn't have the compensator with it. I found that the recoil wasn't all that bad. I enjoyed shooting it but I wouldn't trade my 1911 for it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I thought the HK45 had a 1.5 stacked magazine (Like the USP 45c), where the UPS 45 full size had a double stack.

I believe the 1.5 stack only holds 10 rounds, where the USP Magazine holds 12 rounds..

I just started to Hunt the HK45.. I would like a German Made One - but I am sure the prices will drop after the holidays - when everyone is out of cash.. Just need to save my cash..

Per HK CS, they have been pretty good in the last 6 - 8 months.. Very responsive.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I thought this thread was about Hessy's range visit with his family, not Heckler and Koch's Customer Service. Hessy thats great shooting, and im yet to fire a HK45. I really like your colt and it looks great in stainless.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
The HK45 feels the best to me out of all the polymer framed 45's. It's almost as tight as a 1911. If there will be a problem, then it will be with the trigger. Like all USP's... it kinda sucks and there isn't a worthwhile solution yet. However, the ergonomics are excellent. Hope they have a non-decocker version out soon.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Parker1911 said:
I thought this thread was about Hessy's range visit with his family, not Heckler and Koch's Customer Service. Hessy thats great shooting, and im yet to fire a HK45. I really like your colt and it looks great in stainless.
The OP mentioned the lifetime warranty so he received comment on it.

H&K CS is better ...great...they had only one way to go as they could'nt get any worse.

BTW what's the height on that thing 6.5 inches?

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
I'm thinking of getting a HK 45. I always come back to the 1911. Have a USP Tactical with HK's Match Trigger that is great. It's just the HK is longer in the grip. The compact version of it is due out by the end of the year and that will likely take care of that concern. The M&P and Glock doesn't appeal to me due to the triggers on both, but I like S&W adding a thumb safety to their 45 pistol. The XD have better triggers, but are to thick like the Glock. The HK 45 is thinner than the USPs' and the barrel sets lower in the hand, but likely not as low as a 1911.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now that HK45 is gone-my son only brought it here when visiting for Thanksgiving, I think it is a great pistol. If I were looking for a highly reliable and accurate duty weapon in 45ACP, the HK45 would be it. Thanks to everyone who posted replies.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
What was your son's opinion of the 1911 and the difference betweeen the two pistols?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
tegemu said:
What was your son's opinion of the 1911 and the difference betweeen the two pistols?
My son has a number of 1911's and uses them in competitions, etc. The differences between 1911 and HK45 are very significant, in mechanics, materials, and dimensions. Some differences are apparent in the photos I posted.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Thanks for the report...I've always been a fan of H&K products, over-engineered, but always work, either rifle or handguns.

If the end was near and parts were not available, the battle rifle I would carry would be the H&K G3 in .308, it's that fool-proof. Ergonomically, it's not that special, unlike the M1A or FAL...

This HK45 looks like a good one to replace the USP line...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts