1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gurus,

I must say I've been rather patient about getting a (my first) 1911. As I've said in a previous posting, I've been lurking and learning for weeks now.

I've come to the conclusion that a Colt it should be but I'm not gonna go head first into it without setting myself a budget. For all I know, this interest could be passing fad (I refuse to be 'contaminted'. Yeah, right). That leaves the choice of getting a used Colt open. I've seen 2 lately that I'm pretty set on but it would be nice to see what you folks think.

USE: Been shooting range all the time and am seriously considering IDPA. Carry? I survived 13 years of NYC and never felt the need to carry. So, maybe. Defense? My wife will not put up with the idea of a gun at home, so the range safe it will reside in.

EXPERIENCE: Shot only Gov't Models.

Which one?

1. Series 70 Colt Combat Commander, SS, Nickel, 3dot sights, beavertail, magpad(glued on), FLGR, lowered and flair ejection port, and Houge Grips. 2nd owner, abt. 200 rounds thru' it. Mods by retired smithy, owner's dad. $450

2. Series 80, Enhanced Gov't Model, SS, Bomar low-mount adjustable rear sight; .110" wide serrated and dovetailed front sight; Les Baer beavertail safety; Ed Brown thumb safety; short alloy trigger; skateboard tape on front strap. 3000 rounds present owner, no idea abt first 2. Mods by Kurt Jantzen, WA. $500.

One last thing. If the bug gets any worse, I'm signing up for courses and will drag the chosen piece everywhere.

Thanks a mil, chaps.

·
Administrator
74,641 Posts
To be honest, I wouldn't be interested in either. If I was venturing into 1911s for the first time I'd want a new gun with a warranty. I'd also want a basic one so I could learn for myself what I really need in teh way of mods, not what somebody previously chose for me.

So my advice: Get a new Colt Government Model (formerly called the M1991A1). They work great out of the box, and in the event it doesn't you have a warranty to fall back on. If the two customized used guns you're looking at have problems it'll be out of your pocket to fix them.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Monsieur dsk,

That was the one thing that slipped my mind when I posted the above. I wanted to inquire in the event that a used pistol is not what it seems to be.

Always a learning experience. Thanks, mate.

·
Registered
562 Posts
You had better run over and get the 70 series Commander...that sounds like a very nice pistol for $450....if I didn't already have a series 70 Commander I would buy it in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Probably none of my business,,but I'd get things right with the wife before I'd do anything. It's your responsibility to defend your family. Funny how folks think it's only everybody else who become crime victims. Whatever you do,,make it a Colt!
And I agree with DSK's post.

[This message has been edited by 173abn (edited 10-12-2001).]

·
Registered
286 Posts
Templar,

I live in Springfield, if you want I can give you some names and numbers that may help. There are plenty of Colt's around, just saw a 1991 with the Videki trigger and hardwood grips the other day. Definately though, you should get yourself a new piece and shoot the heck out of it before you think about the extras. I have been through the wizzum-bangum gotta have phase, as everyone goes through. Always seems to make you come back to the basic though. Email me if you need any help around NOVA!

------------------
Simian

NRA Life Member

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys,

Thanks for the advise. Point taken. A new Colt it is.

173abn - You're right abt getting things right with the missus but it's gonna take some time. She's never like firearms and has made it clear to me many years ago; I can shoot all I want but just don't bring a firearm back home. Working on it though.

Simian - private email headed your way.

Thanks again, guys.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I prefer Colt of any kind, new or used, now I guess thats not real news. I do prefer the Commander over the GM, it just works best for me.

The $450 tag is a good price, I would really think about that one, and at worst you will have some excellent trade material if it dosent work out.

------------------
No man is above the law and no man is below it. Nor do we ask any mans permission when we require him to obey it.

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
Hi Robb....
The Colt 1991A1 is the same as the new rollmarked "Government Model." So much had been said about the appearance of the 1991A1 rollmark, Colt decided to make a marketing change. How do I know this? In a phone call to Colt, I was told that they had reacted to my suggestion for a new rollmark on the 1991A1. Now that's what I call GREAT customer service. Colt does care about their customers.
Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'd buy neither (If I was you).

Although the commander sounds like a nice pistol, I like the government model for shooting......The commander is especially for carrying! The longer barrel (and slide) on the government model help to stabilize the barrel flip and make second shots faster.

The government model is too much of an unknown quantity. Two owners....highly customized (who knows by whom)....Just too many possible pitfalls (especially for a beginner).

As for the wife, sit her down in the living room with a nice cup of hot tea and explain the facts of life to her. We live in a patriarchial society where women marry a man and submit to him being head of the household. If she can't live with that consider getting rid of her. Alternately you might ask her if she would allow you to have a set of golf clubs instead of a pistol.

PigPen

[This message has been edited by PigPen (edited 10-13-2001).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts