1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has to be one of the most boring parts of this forum. Doesn't anyone have issues with Wilson they could share. I can't imagine puttin out good money on a perfect pistol. I wouldn't have anything to do.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Both of my Wilson's are so perfect... they make me want to puke :barf: and buy a Kimber so I can send it back.

There.

Nevermind: both Wlson's have been back to Wilson since the original post.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mine never malfunctions, so instead of wasting time clearing a malf., I am shooting more.................. ammo is expensive.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just came back from my first range trip with my almost new Professional. It was 200 rounds of perfect boredom. Started making smiley faces on the paper just to keep it interesting. :)

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
One of the first Elite Professionals I saw was a no go, all show. Wouldn't work for squat but Wilson took it back and credited the retailer but they are still ironing that one out from last year.

I had a brief problem with mine using factory ammo. It was locking open with the casing wedged under the mag lip and extractor on the last round. The only way to clear it was a sharp blow up against something solid. Sent it back and they returned it in a week with a new bushing, extractor, ejector. re-polish and re-fit and they threw in a new magazine and spare fitted extractor. This was just after I had dropped it in a glacially silted river where it sat for a day. I retrieved it and initially had no problems. It started happening a couple months later when I started practicing again.

I don't always like their sight fitting. Daylight under the rear and front sights sometimes and I really don't care for the fitting of their adjustables. It looks lame. Leaf cut is the way to go and the proper way to stabilize them. Their fixed sights and adjustable sights suck. Too gray and no contrast, no serrations. The newer ones are better with white outlines and U notch. If I got a new one, I would get it with Heinie's and a white outline front. I strongly prefer, especially on a custom built gun, the flattened and serrated slide top. This is a beautiful feature and I consider it to be one of the best mods made to enhance sight picture. Wilson doesn't do it, even on the SuperGrades. They might if you ask, though. I really like S&A mag well and they istall them at your request if you supply the part.

These are minor irritations ,though.
Their guns work.
They are attractive.
They have no real sharp edges and are a joy to handle.
They have excellent accuracy and reliability.
They back them up 110%.

All in all, I still love their guns. Mine have been near perfect for me. What I really admire about them is their customer service policy and the warranty committment they have on all of their products.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here's a few negatives for you...

Gripe #1 ... I don't get to shoot it as much as I'd like. :mad:

Gripe #2 ... I tend to neglect shooting my others in favor of my Wilson. :mad:

Gripe #3 ... Owners of lesser 1911s pester me to shoot my Wilson. :mad:

Gripe #4 ... I'd like to own another Wilson but my ammo costs keep rising! :mad:

:D

·
Registered
474 Posts
Coltlover,
What do you mean by the statement that Wilson does not flatten and serrate their slide tops? My Elite has this feature. Is this somehting different and I am just confused?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
20,399 Posts
My stainless Protector has a flattened and serrated top. It was an option., but KB had it in stock.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
My Protector slide failed to lock back a couple of times, ended up being the mag follower. Had quite a bit of problems with the slide not locking back on my 9mm CQB, sent it back, they replaced the slide stop, and it works perfectly now. I think it had a .45 slide stop installed originally.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
jba3 said:
Coltlover

Lets hear the pistol in the river for a whole day story.
:grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

Why not kick my dog, too!

In 2005, I had a horrendous boat crash, my only one in 24 years in a riverboat, when I avoided a collision with another vessel anchored in the middle of a river at night with no lights on. I missed them but clipped a floating log on the other side of him as I straightened my boat out in the narrow channel. It indowed and ejected me and a bunch of my equipment and then it landed on me upside down in 4 feet of 40 degree water. Dislocated three fingers, my shoulder partially separated and I broke the tiller handle off with my melon. Also had a bunch of bad bruises.

My gun harness was on the floor at my feet and it went flying into the river. I knew right where it landed but I couldn't see into the water and had to feel around for it the next morning. Gun, knife, light, med kit and other gear was full of silt and sand but still secure in the Eagle USOH holster and pouches. My boat was down for 8 days, while I got my 4-stroke 90HP Yamaha jet motor replaced (it was full of silt) and a 2 foot dent cut out and re-welded. I lost about $25,000 in one second.:mad: The embarrassment was worse and it was a painful reminder that I was still human. But I still had my Wilson!:rofl:

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ah Ha, so glad to hear Wilson is human. There is hope.
The river story is icing on the cake, thanks for sharing.
I am orgaising for my 1st Wilson order and those of who with opinions what is good or bad are invaluable. Thank you for sharing.
I am leaning toward their CQB at this time so please share any pros or cons you might have.
If there is one thing that makes me want Wilson it is ther customer service. I like the attitude, kinda reminds me of my dillon reloader.
Thanks again.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
I kind of like the CQB Elite for the extra features. I don't shoot 1911's without a magwell and the spare fitted extractor is sensible. The serrated slide top doesn't mean much to me if it's not flattened first. The lanyard hole is kind of stuffy to the hand when attached, but my hands are XXXL. If you are not going to shoot IDPA, look at getting the bull barrel. It dampens recoil and reduces muzzle flip considerably.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I love my CQB Elite. And I got it originally with a bull barrel. I had to send it in to get the rear sight fixed and while they had it, I had them fit it with a regular match barrel. I am very excited to test the differences in these two configurations. Not to mention that I have now essentially two guns in one.
Not bad for an extra $270.00 I feel.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great help from you guys. I am contemplating the shortened grip with a mag well, night sights [doesanyone make these adjustable], heavy barrel, no lanyard ring.
I will go with a CT laser, so unfortunatly the G10 grips wonnt work. I think these are some gret looking grips though.
Finge, wondering why you went to the other barrel system?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts