1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently received a can of Hodgdon Clays Powder and am wanting to reload 200gr SWC in .45 ACP but cannot find the correct powder charge. I looked on the Hodgdon website, but they didn't have the load for 200gr SWC. Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks

------------------
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

Don't be afraid of the Truth

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Originally posted by shooting fan:
I recently received a can of Hodgdon Clays Powder and am wanting to reload 200gr SWC in .45 ACP but cannot find the correct powder charge. I looked on the Hodgdon website, but they didn't have the load for 200gr SWC. Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks
I shoot 4.4gr of Clays with a 200gr LSWC to make IPSC Major PF.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the IPSC major PF? How much velocity are you getting with 4.4 gr? I only shoot IDPA and just need to make the CDP PF.

thanks again.

------------------
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

Don't be afraid of the Truth

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yes, My 200gr. LSWC uses 4.4grs of Clays. In my Colt, Commander it runs out at 870 fps. It has very low S.D.s and is very accurate. I would start at 4.2 and work up a safe loa

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Originally posted by shooting fan:
What is the IPSC major PF? How much velocity are you getting with 4.4 gr? I only shoot IDPA and just need to make the CDP PF.

thanks again.
Major PF in IPSC is defined as 165,000 which is the bullet weight (in gr) X the bullet velocity (in fps). My loads are running about 860fps.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I use 4.0 grains of CLAYS under a 200 grain SWC for a soft shooting target load. My Rock River Basic Limited Match loves these loads!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
power factor = bullet weight (in grains) x velocity / 1000. Minimum PF is 165 for major and 125 for minor. I use 4.3gr it comes out with a PF of 168. Soft recoil and accurate. Safe shooting!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Clays is great for lighter loads up to major, but dont push it too much. Clays has pressure spikes that will bite you if you push it too far. It is a great powder for small charge weights and I use a ton of it. Be safe, DC

·
Registered
72 Posts
I use 3.8 clays to 185 swc for ppc. I haven't loaded a 200 gr bullet yet but I would say from my results that the loads listed above are right in line.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts