1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to buy the Hogue Coco-bolo finger groove grip for my Kimber. Does anyone here use it for their 1911? Please tell me the pros and cons. Hogue offer different styles, one of them is SA-MAG. Now what the heck is an SA-MAG? is that for the guns with an add on mag-well? It seems that I can shoot much better with any guns that has a finger groove grips on it. I have a Hogue rubber grips with the finger groove on the gun right now. It felt great in my hands, but don't like that rubber looks. Please help.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Originally posted by VC:
I'm planning to buy the Hogue Coco-bolo finger groove grip for my Kimber. Does anyone here use it for their 1911? Please tell me the pros and cons.
Talking about a carry gun here. Finger grooves never work for me, they always seem to interfere with my grip and get in the way of a smooth presentation. I guess it depends on whether or not your hand/fingers are like the ones they use to model the grips. They also make the gun feel bulkier. But if they work for you, go for it.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by VC:
Hogue offer different styles, one of them is SA-MAG. Now what the heck is an SA-MAG? is that for the guns with an add on mag-well?
Yup... Flat bottom, rather than angled/beveled, so that it blends better with the Magwell.

Some grips come "Pin Covered" and "Pin Uncovered?. I prefer the Uncovered ones for a "duty" gun, though I can't really say that I have EVER needed to remove a MSH in the field. With the Covered variety, you'd have to pull the Stock Panel's off to remove the MSH pin.

I don't care for any Finger Groove gun, including those with built in grooves like the Glock. My finger's just never seem to end up in the right spot, since my hands are smaller than the, so-called AVERAGE male.

If you have Big Mitts, then the Hogue's might be for you, but as mentioned, for CCW purposes, they might be more bulky than other choices.

Hogue makes some fine Target Grip's, but those BIG, Contoured, fancy grip's are mostly suited for Range, and Target use, not for concealed carry. Open Carry, or Duty, sure, but concealed tends to require a different approach.

Hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
http://www.pearcegrip.com/colt-gov.htm
this add on allows you to use any side grips. it adds finger groves that fit under most side grips. My goldmatch is set up with slim rosewood panels and finger grooves. I love the look of the wood, but shoot best with finger grooves. now I have them both! good luck!
there is a picture of a 1911 with finger grooves and wood side panels at the link.

[This message has been edited by goldmatch45 (edited 09-09-2001).]

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. For some strange reason I love the rubber grips on my guns. I got the Hogue handall grips on both of my HK, the USP compact, and the USP Tactical. Heck I even carry the tactical from time to time. But I'm thinking of going the route that goldmatch45 suggested. For 11 bucks if I don't like the thing, I just give it to someone. But I really really need rubbers on my 1911. Thanks again

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a set of the hogues on my Gov't model, and they do make it bulkier. On my frame, I notice that there is a gap between the grips and the front of the frame. I don't know if that's a fault of the frame or manufacturing tolerances on the grips. The points on the fingergrooves (between the fingers) is pretty thin and prone to chipping, there is a little chip out of mine. Other than that, I really like them on a range pistol, but I wouldn't put them on a CCW pistol.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I love the finger grooves, but not for concealed carry. I have Hogues on the MkII, a Pachmeyer American Legend series on the Commander and the Pearce grip additions on my Springfield Mil-Spec. I have a Hogue Handall on the FEG Walther clone I carry, but I wouldn't put a rubber grip on any other carry gun. My Ofcr. model has wood only so as to be smooth for carry.

I should say that I am lucky to have hands just a bit larger than average.

Regards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts