1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the proud new owner of a BHP 9 mm (GP silver chrome.)

I bought Mr. Camp's book Shooter's Guide to the HiPower -- I recommend it highly.

I have been carrying the gun as a CWP holder. I have been using a Milt Sparks Versa Max II, which is great. I use a VM2 for my 1911 as well. I am getting ready to send a check to Mr. Alessi for a DOJ straight drop sharkskin OWB for IDPA.

In spite of my daily attention, I found some rust on the grip screws. I live in coastal South Carolina, high heat, high humidity and sea breezes. Great for sea kayaking, tough on guns!

After some on-line research, I found that Hogue makes hex head satin chrome grip screws for $4.25 for 2 screws. They arrived today, I replaced the blue (and rust) screws -- the new grip screws look great. Hogue’s web site is www.getgrip.com - part number 09019.

Safe and fun shooting!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Congrats on your Hi Power! I have the Hogue hex head grip screws on mine (they are blued) and I think they add a nice touch to the pistol.

The other thing you can do, if you are so inclined, is replace the mag catch lock with a hex-head version made for a 1911. It fits fine, although it is a little shorter than the factor piece, but I like the looks of hex head grip screws and hex head mag catch lock.

Happy shooting!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Did either of you gentlemen find that the Hogue grip screws are a bit more delicate than other screws? I read a post in the FN Hi-Power forum that some folks snapped the head off of the Hogue grip screws when tightening down the grips.

I was curious because today I ordered a set of the Hogue hex head grip screws. Just looking for opinions from current users.
Thanks- Clarence

·
Registered
828 Posts
Here's a pic of my experience with Hogue grip screws. Look closely around the edge of the hole and you can see how little metal there is where the head meets the shank. In my opinion, they broached the hole for the hex too deeply and left too little metal connecting the head to the threaded portion.

I discovered I could keep from breaking the screws when tightening them by holding the hex key by the short end rather than the long. You can't apply as much torque using the short arm of the key. Of course, you can't get these grip screws nearly as tight as you can the slotted ones, and I have had them come loose while shooting.

·
Registered
456 Posts
BHP- thanks for the picture & advice. I put the Hogue grip screws on my BHP yesterday, of course I used a big helping of your suggestion. I held onto the factory slotted screws as a backup. Thanks for letting me benefit from your experience.:cool:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I use a drop of Blue loctite and you dont have to worry about screws backing out. Also dont have to torque as much. Dont use RED loctite!!!!! :D

·
Registered
828 Posts
Jim combo said:
I use a drop of Blue loctite and you dont have to worry about screws backing out. Also dont have to torque as much. Dont use RED loctite!!!!! :D
There is an even lighter grade of Loctite made especially for small screws, less than 1/4" diameter, that would probably be even better for our grip screws. It is purple in color. We used to use it constantly when I was working in the service dept. of a Harley dealership. Sometimes, even the blue had too much hold.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts