1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are so many people against the Hogue wrap around grips?? I have one on my SA Mil-Spec and love it. I would put one on my wilson CQB, but tthe front strap is checkered, so the finger groves don't lay against the frame. I might try some tape on the inside of the grip to make up for the removed material, so I can use it.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
For some people asthetics are a real priority. I'm more of a 'function' kind of guy (but I still hate wrap-arounds). If they work for you and you like 'em, forget what everybody else is saying.

Just remember to switch over to some decent double diamond rosewoods before you snap a digital pic. You'll never hear the end of the wrap-around argument if you don't.

Regards,
Callahan

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have them on a Kimber Custom and love the way the feel, until I shoot it. I don't get much recoil control with them. I'm left handed and my right hand moves so much it touches the slide stop at times. I prefer wood grips with checkering or tape.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the Hogue wrap arounds on my Springfield that I carry on duty, and I love them. I guess everyone has their opinion, though. You just go with what feels right and works for you.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
All my "working" guns have Hogue wrap arounds. Stippling, checkering, scallops, conymids, waves, etc. be damned! Nothing works better (for me
) than the Hogues.

Now, a nice set of cocobola or tulipwood grips LOOKS way better however!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've heard that the Hogue wrap-arounds with the finger grooves makes it harder (slower)to acquire a good grip when drawing from a holster. Has anyone here had this experience with Hogue grips?

------------------
GO ARMY!!!
BEAT NAVY!!!

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by USMA Pistol:
I've heard that the Hogue wrap-arounds with the finger grooves makes it harder (slower)to acquire a good grip when drawing from a holster. Has anyone here had this experience with Hogue grips?

Practice compensates for everything!

Agreed, it may slow you down slightly, as the rubber is very "grippy" and may not allow your fingers to slide around the frontstrap as easily. The finger grooves make up for this slightly, as it guides your fingers to where they should be anyway!

·
Super Moderator
3,112 Posts
Far be it from me to criticize anyone's choice in weapons, but I don't care for rubber, wrap-around stocks because;

1. They're "sticky", causing "printing" through covering garments and making slight changes to one's grip more difficult than they ought be.

2. They make the butt of the pistol more round in cross-section. This makes it harder to tell if the pistol is indexed properly in one's hand.

3. They trap moisture, promoting rust beneath the stocks.

4. Some examples place an projection at the bottom of the frontstrap. This complicates stripping out a magazine that hasn't fallen free.

5. They increase the circumference of the pistol's butt, increasing problems for the small-handed.

I could add a 6th point, they're ugly, but that is subjective.

Rosco

[This message has been edited by Rosco Benson (edited 09-05-2001).]

·
Registered
16 Posts
My Kahr has Hogue rubber grips (no funny lookin finger grooves) and the grip has a tendency to grab my shirt while drawing it sometimes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I use Hogue grips on my compition and carry guns. I have all Para-Ord hi-caps and I have very large hands. I have no problem grabbing,drawing or pointing and they are the most comfortable grips I,ve found.

------------------
Gun crontrol is being able to hit what you aim at
NRA Life Member
Hunter for life
Biker for life

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have Cocobola smooth grips on my SA MilSpec and the "issue" Hogue wraps on my SA UltraCompact. I never thought of them as "ugly" -- just utilitarian. They fit my hand, which is a large one. They're comfortable.

Cocobola is nicer looking. But this gun is for carry, not for show.

------------------
What part of "shall not be infringed" needs 'splainin' ???
----------------------------------------------------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loader Forum

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have Hogue grips on my Kimber Custom Target. The extra bulk resolved a trigger finger placement issue I had. I Personally like the way they look. But My lady always says I have poor taste, except in women!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts