1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a couple of parts in exchange for some welding I did for a friend, and plan to use some of my own leftover parts to upgrade a recently acquired Combat Commander that's seen better days. Now that the drag racing season is over, I look forward to the quiet of smaller projects in my shop. Anyone else have some holiday 1911 or other firearm projects planned?

The rode hard and put up wet CC. A lot rougher than the seller led on...oh, well, live and learn. Makes me appreciate hanging out with my gunsmith uncle as a kid, so I can fix and update things...

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Lots to do this winter, ugh...

Gonna finish 80% AR lower
Hunting
Casting
Reloading
Shooting 3 gun comps & IDPA
Maybe some minor 1911 stuff like sights and grips

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well, after some TLG (tender loving gunsmithing), which included the frame with a short stint in my media blasting cabinet, lots of filing, fitting and some machining, I got the S80 CC in a better state. Good thing I temporarily changed the MSH as the original poly one was cracked down the middle. There was lots of rust on the front strap under the wraparound rubber grip.

...a little tough to photograph...

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I updated the MSH photo, but I used our tripod to keep the camera steady, as that seemed to be the issue with the close up. Has anyone one else have one of the poly MSH crack down the middle?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I received a stripped lower, along with everything else's needed minus the upper for my first AR build. I installed the lower parts kit today, align with buffer tube, stock, spring, sling mount, pistol grip, etc. It was a lot of fun, and I'm proud to know my patience is finally at a level that I can start and finish something like this in one sitting. I just need my upper, but I'm going to save up and get one go the BCM uppers.

I'm also in the middle of a 1,000 round .223 reloading session. Should wrap that up before 2014.

Alex

1 - 11 of 11 Posts