1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I want to test out my hollowpoints on a phone book (heck they're free and thick, might as well see what kind of damage they do).

Is there any risk of them flying back (like they would at indoor ranges?) and what is the safe distance I should stand? Also are shotgun buckshot rounds safe to shoot at phone books at this distance (I'm guessing around 25 feet away)

Jeff

------------------
Jeff More
Irvine, PRC
All your AR-15 are belong to us!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I honestly don't know what you mean by "flying back". But I've shot a lot of phone books and bundled newspapers, wet and dry both, and never had any problems. Any good defensive or hunting load, though, will penetrate a goodly amount of paper. I always use at least 18" of wet paper to start until I see how much my caliber/load penetrates. That is, of course, if you are wanting to stop your bullet. It's impressive, however, to look at the exit hole made by a fast-stepping hollowpoint.

I usually shoot with the muzzle four or five feet from the stuff I'm shooting into. No real reason; that just seems like a good distance.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
We used to shoot phone books and never had a problem with bounceback. That does not mean it could not happen, however. You could have later fired rounds impact on previously fired rounds, hence have some bounce back, but it is not likely. What we learned was that we needed more phone books, the problem being one of over penetration.

As always, hearing and eye protection and if you are concerned about the safety of what you are doing, then don't do it.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Originally posted by Skunkabilly:
Hi,

I want to test out my hollowpoints on a phone book (heck they're free and thick, might as well see what kind of damage they do).

Is there any risk of them flying back (like they would at indoor ranges?) and what is the safe distance I should stand? Also are shotgun buckshot rounds safe to shoot at phone books at this distance (I'm guessing around 25 feet away)

Jeff

Well, I've had 9mms bounce off cardboard targets. Sorry, just kidding, I've told myself a million times not to exaggerate

You should have no problem but I would advise you to soak the books thouroughly for at least 48 hours and don't let them drain for very long if you want a relevant test.

"wet-pak" (saturated newspapers) is actually a good test medium (nothing homogenous is perfect since it is all one material) giving less penetration than 10% gelatin (but roughly the same expansion) and is sort of a "minimal" figure you can expect (though to be sure sometimes bullets actually penetrate less - I have seen 125 gr. .357 go only 3" deep but that is rare).

Good luck,
Jim Higginbotham

[This message has been edited by JimH (edited 08-15-2001).]

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by JimH:
Well, I've had 9mms bounce off cardboard targets. Sorry, just kidding, I've told myself a million times not to exaggerate

9 M(ickey)M(ouse)... No... 22LR, yup... I have bounced 22's off all sorts of hard stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts