1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys -

Just bought a Thompson .45 ACP " of course " - and want to load 230 Gr. Ball ammo that will give me the MOST muzzle flash through the Cutts Compensator - Any recommended powders ? THANKS -

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
My first question is, why?" That said, use the slowest burning powder you can get safe reloading data for.

Nate

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
I can understand the appeal of excess muzzle flash - sometimes it's just fun to see. I built a 10.5" barreled .458 SOCOM AR in part because I wanted to duplicate this:

:biglaugh:

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,344 Posts
Power Pistol is good for a bright flash, but you can't use a whole lot of it in .45 ACP. For a night-time photo shoot, I loaded something like 14 grains under a 135gr bullet in 10mm, and it didn't disappoint. :)

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Try Blue Dot. I loaded a few hundred rounds for a friend's Thompson...it didn't disappoint! :biglaugh:

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
Lighter bullets = more powder = more muzzle flash

Once you find your powder, I'm thinking that you use 155 or 165 or 185 grain bullets so you can use a greater quantity of powder. Heavier bullets (like 230g ball) use less powder. That isn't what you want.

If you still want round nose bullets, get Berry's 185 grain RNHB (round nose hollow base). Load them to the same 1.250" and they look just like GI issue ball ammo. No one will know the difference.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
Oh, Chessie, by the way -- Yes I fully support your desire for flash between those compensator slots. Be sure to take pictures, bud!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
You want Flash?

12.0 grains of AA No. 9 under the 230 jacketed or
13.0 grains of AA No.7 under the 185 jacketed

If these won’t flash fry the ceiling, nothing will.
(I suggest the use of a welding goggle when test firing)
Good Luck :)

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
+1----Power Pistol loaded to max. loads.

My 45 Super loads ---185 JHP w/11.3 PP (max load) makes a 1.5'+ pie flame. Also, the hotter the load, the cleaner it burns. Tracy

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Loaded up the Berry's 185's / AA # 7 / STARLINE + P BRASS

Man, what a dissapointment. ZERO FLASH

Lotsa' noise, kick, and chunks 'o stuff hitting me in the face and arms etc.

Other than that, I was center cut - REAL ACCURATE / @ REAL DIRTY

What the hell - it was a learning thing ..........

·
Registered
14,941 Posts
Since the OP's from Chicago, this'll probably fall on deaf ears! :)

Rx:

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I’m surprised you didn’t receive the flash you were looking for with No.7. :(
When I have used these powders in my .38 Super, 9 x 23 and 10MM it’s like seeing a sunspot erupt.

Glad to hear they were “accurate” (no pun intended)
Well, back to the drawing board
Good Luck :)

·
Registered
620 Posts
My experience says, "Blue Dot".... I tried some in my .38 Super the other day and almost went blind.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
CCI Blazer with the aluminum cases has the most muzzle flash of anything I've shot out of my 1911.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts