1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find that I like my High Noon IWB holster to be at the 4-o'clock position with more of a Cant than 15 degrees, it feels better at closer to 30-degrees,

so I take the Tuckable Belt Clip off and sew it back on at the angle I like. The reason is that the barrel lays along my hip better when setting down and the Grip is not sticking into the seat.

Does anyone else prefer this much cant?

·
Registered
423 Posts
It's a personal thing for many. I carried a full size 1911 in a Gordan-Davis drop down muzzle forward holster because it felt more natural to pull the weapon upa and to the back, rather than forward and having to break or cant my wrist. Granted, it made it harder to draw while seated in the car, but I was able to make accomidations for that.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I keep my Fist adjustable cant holsters at a more severe angle like you describe. It is more comfortable to me also.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
There is nothing wrong with more cant. What works best for you is what is important. The 15 degree cant was something the FBI started specifying for it's holsters, I think. All my IWB holsters have adjustable cant, won't have one that is set and can't be changed. I also prefer more cant for all the reasons you mention.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Increasing the carry angle (cant) can require increased rotation of the wrist when accessing the weapon. The more we rotate our wrists the less grip strength we have. This can have an adverse effect at precisely the time that we need no more problems.

Every holster design involves compromises among the four basic factors; comfort, accessibility, security, concealability. There is no single "best" holster for every user and every application.

Only the user can properly identify which factors are most important for his requirements, and how much of the other factors he is willing to compromise in order to achieve those requirements.

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
I found that the more cant the holster had, the further behind my hip I had to were the holster. The cant of the "legendary" VM-II is perfect for my build.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is nothing wrong with more cant. What works best for you is what is important. The 15 degree cant was something the FBI started specifying for it's holsters, I think. All my IWB holsters have adjustable cant, won't have one that is set and can't be changed. I also prefer more cant for all the reasons you mention.

guysmith, if I could ask please, which IWB do you use

·
Registered
198 Posts
I found that the more cant the holster had, the further behind my hip I had to were the holster. The cant of the "legendary" VM-II is perfect for my build.
I wonder what the degree of cant is for the VM-II. Anyone know?

Thanks...

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
I have a whole drawer full. My main IWB is a Blade-tech with straps. Tried the J-hook and switched back to the straps. When I first started using it I was arcing/sweeping my draw stroke. A very knowledgeable person by the name of John Skaggs pointed it out to me and got me drawing correctly. I have not had any problems with my grip in years. I have also found that the pistol doesn't print with the increased cant and I carry at more like 5:00 rather than 3:00. The pistol stays flat against my back, hence it doesn't print. This is for CCW only, for range work I use a High Noon "Need for Speed" or my Alessi/Heinie DOJ.

·
Registered
393 Posts
For me zero cant is the best. I have had holsters made that way and find them to be perfect. My bones just don't flex properly to make anything other than vertical comfortable.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have also found that the pistol doesn't print with the increased cant and I carry at more like 5:00 rather than 3:00. The pistol stays flat against my back, hence it doesn't print. This is for CCW only,
This is exactly what I have found, more like 5:00, with the grip riding high or forward no less than 20 degrees

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Yep, the grip is just about 45 degrees, and it more of a sweep than a draw.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Cant

I find that I like my High Noon IWB holster to be at the 4-o'clock position with more of a Cant than 15 degrees, it feels better at closer to 30-degrees,

so I take the Tuckable Belt Clip off and sew it back on at the angle I like. The reason is that the barrel lays along my hip better when setting down and the Grip is not sticking into the seat.

Does anyone else prefer this much cant?
I like extreme FWD cant also,because it still doesn't print if I forget and bend over the wrong way.Just gives me a little more security.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I took my High Noon Holster and cut the belt clip strap off of it last night.

I will sew it back on where I want it and give it a try, instead of twisting it forward in my waist band like I have been doing.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Yes, I cant an IWB a lot, too. I'm on the skinny side (well, except for a certain amount of gut that seems to come with maturity ... that's my story, anyway), and unless I cant the holster forward on a Gov't 1911 to 25-30 degrees, the butt prints. It's either hard on my wrist to draw because of the forward cant, or hard on my shoulder if I try to carry a vertical slide or similar high enough that it doesn't peek out from under my shirt tail.

I've said before, if someone would make a simple bag-like roughout holster like Safariland once made but with the clip easily adjustable for angle, they'd rake in the bucks. We'd still want our fancy holsters, but that's one rig that could be adopted quickly to most carry circumstances. Make it in non-bleeding black and it would work with a cummerbund or lumbar brace, too.

·
Super Moderator
3,113 Posts
In general, the farther back the holster is worn, the more cant it needs. Just reach down as if you're drawing your pistol and notice the position of your wrist when reaching for "3:00" on your belt versus "5:00" or so.

This is the reason that the ill-advised "small of back" holsters are so extremely canted.

Rosco

·
Premium Member
3,863 Posts
15 degrees at 3:00 for a large auto is fine for me. Too much cant results in the top of the slide and beaver tail printing like crazy. Too far back and the grip starts to poke out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
In generally the further back past the hip the more cant works smoother because of the angle of your wrist. Appendix carry to about 3:00 straight drop works better, usually. 3:00-4:30 or so is what most holsters are designed for. Further back than that a high-cant or SOB holster is typically more accessible.

BTW, to my knowledge "FBI cant" means "Forward Body Incline" and doesn't have anything to do with the Federal Bureau of Investigation. But I could be wrong.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have all my holsters made with 25* cant. I like 4 o'clock positioning for IWB and OWB. Milt Sparks Nexus seems to have just the right amount of cant for me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts