1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I was wondering if anyone knew about the metal clips that mount under the grips. It looks loke a clip that you would find on a knife, but is for the pistols. Any feed back...like it....hate it?

·
Registered
694 Posts
I use one on a Government Model, and love it. It looks kind of funny, but it works well, especially it you just want to stick it in your pants and go. I have had not problems with ejection or fired rounds. It looks like it might interfere with ejection, but it doesn't.

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
I have seen them advertised, but never been tempted. In my personal opinion, a gun is a precious enough object to warrant the purchase of a high quality holster. This is, by no means, an attack on those that use them, to each his own. I just think that a firearm, particularly one used for personal protection, is far too important to trust to a "bolt on" gimmick for retention.

Be well!

·
Super Moderator
14,974 Posts
I have one for a 1911 and one for a J-frame (same clip doesn't fit both). About all I can say for sure is that they install OK, and they do a good job of keeping your gun from falling through your pants.

Since my state doesn't have concealed carry (yet), I have no experienced with prolonged wear. Wearing them just around the house for a short while they work fine. But, they pull your waistband down more than a well-designed holster. And, of course, the full-sized 1911 is worse in that area than the J-frame. :) In fact, it's not a bad way to carry a J-frame.

However, since the fascination with the idea wore off, I've taken them off my guns and the "clips" sit in the safe. Although they don't interfere with ejection or the cylinder rotation, they just seemed to "be in the way" when shooting the gun. All-in-all, I prefer a good holster. YMMV

Good shooting.

Rod.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay guys thanks.:) I wouldn't want my pistol to ever fall even to the floor of my truck. I guess I'll go buy a el cheap-o holster for this weekend, then start looking for one I keep.:D

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I think you'll be glad you didn't put one of those things on your gun. I tried one on a Kel-Tec P11 and it worked but I hated it. It held the gun okay but I hated shooting it with that darn pocket clip on the side. I was much happier with it in a holster.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
It's too damn hot out here to carry a gun against your skin anyway. You need a good holster between you to protect the gun's finish.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I use the clip draw on one of my J-frames. It's a step above Mexican carry but that's about it. I use it for short jaunts to the store or mailbox. I used to use it when I had to go into the local courthouse alot and some other no carry accounts.
The longest I ever carried with it was about 4 hours with a good wide belt to stabilize it I never had a problem with shifting or dropping. But I have to carry at 4:00 or my belly rolls the gun out of my waste band. A longer barreled gun may not have this problem.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Invest a small amount of $ for a fobus... Wonderful holsters...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts