1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to put my Kimber Ultra Carry (3" bbl) in a concealable holster and I need your help because I don't know anything!

Because I don't want to have to wear a belt, I think I want a paddle (?) type holster. My thinking is that this type of holster will give me more utility. Will this type even hold my pistol securely enough? What's your opinion?

Or, is it simply best to wear a belt?

What else can I share with you to help determine what holster is best for me and where to shop!?

·
Registered
22 Posts
hi Johnny

I would definetely recomend wearing a belt. Paddle holsters will work without one but are actually designed to be worn with a belt to insure good support and make sure they stay on you hip during presentation.

A friend who carries a G36 uses a clip that bolts on the back of the slide then runs down the side of the frame. It works really well for IWB carry with no belt of holster. I am almost sure that someone makes a similar product for a 1911 but I have no first hand knowledge of this product on a 1911.

Another friend carries a CDP Ultra such as yourself and uses an Andrews Custom Leather IWB holster. Ive got one too for my CDP Pro. I cant say enough good things about this rig. It works great, is very secure and comfortable. While IWB holsters are not as fast as OWB holsters in my opinion I have no trouble with fast presentations. And....this thing concels exceptionally well. Shorts and a T-shirt and Im good to go. But you must wear a belt.

Hope this helps....check out the clip....perhaps someone here can add some more insight to one of these with a 1911. Beware though that this is going to carry your weapon in direct contact with your skin which can be uncomfortable and cause some issues with corrossion due to constant exposure to perspiration.

NMS (nick)

[This message has been edited by NMS (edited 04-10-2001).]

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
The best way to determine if you need a belt or not is to do a week long course, wearing a different pair of pants each day with your paddle holster. You get to buy the first round of beers each day your draw your gun and you find there is the holster and paddle stuck on the end of it. You will likely learn several lessons. First, you will learn why belts really are needed. Second, you will find out which pants really don't work at all with a paddle holster and no belt. Third, you will gain several beer drinking friends you might not have had previously. Lastly, the local waitress will know your name by day 3.

Paddle holsters are not a bad idea at all, but it is really important that you make the right decisions on dress, paddle holster, and retention. You do NOT want to draw your gun in a fight and find the holster and paddle still on the end of it. In practice, it is funny and embarrassing and that is why you get to buy the beers.

As for direct contact with the skin, your body chemicals and do some nasty things to the gun, but likely you will get a warning in advance from your gun as it rubs an abrasion rash on your soft love handles (or muscles if your love handles are not developed yet) from the grip, assuming you don't have smooth grips. One day of walking around and I had a nasty little rash that did not enjoy the summer heat and sweat.

As for the holster question, I have a Milt Sparks VersaMax-II that I like really well for my Kimber Ultra Elite.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Double Naught,, Beautiful answer! I can't add anything to that well thought out logic, and great humor!
Lou

------------------
Alessi Holsters, Inc.
You'll never know it's there, until you need it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, maybe the paddle isn't what I thought it would be or what I need.

I think I want a high rise, forward cant pancake holster - sure hope that's the correct terminology. Also, I think I want it on the weak left side (non-dominant side). Is this "cross draw?"

Milt's Versa looks nice, but I'm a bit skeptical of IWB - doesn't it tighten those pants right up?!

I looked at Blade-Tech, but didn't see anything that jumped out at me. I'm also looking at Mark THG's customholster site. Where else do you recommend?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Memo to self: Keep It Simple Stupid!

Anyone out there using "America's Best Pancake" or "All-American Pancake" from www.customholster.com?

Alessi's "Belt Slide Unit" also looks interesting. Anyone using one?

All recommendations greatly appreciated - please keep them coming.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I find 1911's much thinner than my other handguns.I find that I only have to buy pants the next size up than what I would wear without a IWB holster.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I'm pretty happy with a Wilson Combat beltslide unit I bought...Fits between the belt and trousers, very comfortable...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi Johnny,

As per your request to keep the recommendations coming...

The Ky-Tac Braveheart IWB

You'll definitely need a belt. The clipdraw can be utilized without the belt, but the gun tilts and cants in every which direction all day, especially backwards since the weight of the full magazine/grip tends to pull down towards the rear. The Kytac Braveheart IWB is made from kydex material which is very thin and impervious to sweat. It works great with smaller guns like the Kimber Ultra Carry or Kahr P/K9 as well as large guns like the 1911 or the Glock 21. Good luck in your search for the right holster!

------------------
SKD Tactical Accessories
www.skdtac.com
Your source for hard-core, no-bs gear.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Johnny - My Beretta Mini Cougar is similar in size to your Kimber (26 oz empty, but thicker at 1.5") and I have used Lou's Hard Shell Talon, http://www.rfholsters.com/rfholsters/product.asp?dept%5Fid=10&pf%5Fid=AH%2DHST , without a belt on some pants. It works best on pants that I have not bought "big" for IWB holsters. Also, after time it does sorta start to drag down as Double Naught said. And when I use a belt the clip still goes on the pants and the belt over the clip.

As for protecting your side and the pistol - I use an "athletic" type t-shirt between my side and the pistol - even when I'm just wearing a t-shirt. Also, the Talon has a leather extension that covers the slide that increases the comfort factor. An alternate that I'm looking at closely is Lou's MOB, http://www.rfholsters.com/rfholsters/product.asp?dept%5Fid=10&pf%5Fid=AH%2DMOB , I like the forward cant to help keep the barrel from digging in too much.

-- Chuck

[This message has been edited by ctc (edited 04-18-2001).]

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm in business! Guess what arrived in the mail this afternoon - my long awaited CCW permit.

Tomorrow I'm calling Mark THG and will more than likely order one of his BS-2 holsters in black with a 1.5" wide black belt for my Ultra Carry.
http://www.customholsters.com/holsters.html

Mark THG's "All American Pancake" looks like the ticket for my Walther P99, but I'm getting ahead of myself - way ahead of myself!

When I get the holster for the UC, I'm going to wear it mainly around the house in order to get used to it. After that, I think I'll still take it slow until I feel comfortable and less conspicuous with it on. Any gems you can share with me?!

·
Registered
121 Posts
For IWB carry, I like the Alessi Hard Shell Talon for my P12. It really is 'hard shell', and won't collapse when the gun is drawn. It clips over the pants/under the belt. Great little concealable.

I'll buy another Talon for my SA Champion, once I determine what model fits the Champion.

For a paddle holster, the Fobus C21 fits both my P12 and SA Champion.

·
Registered
121 Posts
While the Fobus C21 is 'suitable' as a paddle holster, please don't interpret my remarks as an endorsement.

On one occasion when wearing the Fobus, I reached down to check the thumb safety of my P12, and the thumb safety was in fire position. Apparently I had pushed the holster up when getting in my vehicle, and the thumb safety was pushed down by my clothing/body. Not cool.

I'm going to replace the Fobus paddle with a model that covers the thumb safety.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use my IWB "Summer Comfort" from Galco for daily carry with my "compact" Kimber Ultra Carry AND for my full size 1911. See a picture at Galco's web site (www.usgalco.com) but I got it cheaper from Gunsmoke Guns www.gunsmokeguns.com

·
Registered
322 Posts
Well, I carry an Ultra CDP with Chip McCormick slim smooth rosewood grips and Wilson mags. For carry, I bought a very nice Andrews McDaniel II IWB holster. I have nothing but praise for this holster. But, when it comes to daily carry, I have found my ThunderWear to be more comfortable and easier to use than an IWB setup.

Oh, and by the way, you don't need a belt either...

My $.02

[This message has been edited by gtf (edited 07-04-2001).]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts