1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5" s&w 1911 in stainless. I have a Blackhawk serpa holster. The holster was a little loose so it left a shinny spot, more like a shinny line on the top of the slide.
Anyone experience this, or know if this can be buffed out

·
Premium Member
3,784 Posts
If you want to use Kydex holsters, this is just something you'll have to get used to.

Luckily, since it's a stainless gun, it can easily be re-blasted with abrasive grit along the top of the slide to take out any wear marks and look new again.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The leather holster is "buffing" the rough bead blasting off your pistol. So buffing it out will not work. To 2nd dub88, kydex is much better on the finish to me than leather and it won't hold moisture.

I prefer comp-tac holsters. They are top knotch.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The leather holster is "buffing" the rough bead blasting off your pistol. So buffing it out will not work. To 2nd dub88, kydex is much better on the finish to me than leather and it won't hold moisture.

I prefer comp-tac holsters. They are top knotch.

Blackhawks serpa holster s not leather its plastic

·
Registered
582 Posts
Is the top of the slide a matte finish? If not, maybe a little Flitz polish will take out the "shiny" spot.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Anyway,

It's holster wear. All holsters cause this to some extent. A better fitting holster would have help a lot though.

Kydex holsters wear on the high spots and tend to stop there. They are more noticeable because the rest of the finish isn't evenly worn.

Leather wears the finish on most of the slide, but it's not as noticeable since the entire gun is being worn and not just a few bright spots like Kydex.

Loose plastic will cause wear everywhere it rubs, and will cause larger spots to become exposed than there should be.

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
If you are going to use and carry a pistol it will show wear no matter what you carry it in. If you don't want wear it must be relegated to be a safe queen only taken out in a case for range duty. This was once shiny and new looking too, carried in leather and has been slightly modified by a custom shop. It'll happen and there's not much you can do if you want to carry it all the time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Serpa ...

I think its a great design for the money but it do wear the finish out and fast.
The more you draw the more it wears away the finish. I picked up a Safariland 568-63 Custom fit holster and it seems to be somewhat more forgiving on the finish of my TRP than the Serpa was on my Kimbers. I still have the Serpa but do not use it.
I sent BHI a scathing email one night about the subject of course never heard from them. But *** did I expect them to do send me a check ?? :barf:
In fact I'd prefer a 1911 with a little wear on it because it is inevitable and then the piece has personality.

Michael

·
Registered
24,381 Posts
If it does not affect the way that the gun performs.

Then I would not lose a whole lot of sleep over it.

My two cents. :bawling:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
What's a "shinny" spot?
It is now polished so it needs media blasted to get back to the ruff look.
They have quite a few types of media from very soft plastics media/Soda blasting "soft so just paint comes off" and metal does not get changed at all. To coal slag that will eat the gun up.
Make sure who ever does it knows what they are doing.
A shameless plug some of my polish work.
This is a shinny Spot ok a large one

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/trans/sand4.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/Eddie Heads/eddie6.jpg
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/Eddie Heads/eddie4.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Anyway,

It's holster wear. All holsters cause this to some extent...
That, right there.

If you like to look at pristine pistols, keep buying new ones. If you don't have any other excuses to expand your collection, use this one.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
If you are going to use and carry a pistol it will show wear no matter what you carry it in. If you don't want wear it must be relegated to be a safe queen only taken out in a case for range duty. This was once shiny and new looking too, carried in leather and has been slightly modified by a custom shop. It'll happen and there's not much you can do if you want to carry it all the time.

Also, this.

Anyway, holster wear is sexy. Here's Melonite QPQ, after a couple years of all day-everyday carry:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts